Hearts of Iron - OFFICIAL DISCORD!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When I played MMOs Discord was often made mandatory by leaders for the voice features and setting up game time for a group. It was good for quick answers, but those answers were limited to whoever was on line at the moment.

Forums have their own major, even fossilizing problem, that being the lack of people who contribute to them. Every year, it seems less and less people bother to read...well anything, actually...so fast scrolling one liners become more popular. Still, Discord and other one liner venues, can give a user the sense that he is personally giving and receiving information with immediate feedback. That can be true when the user gets lucky enough to log in when multiple "good" users are on line at the same time. Unfortunately, the one liner style and the need for immediate feedback means that most of the time, hour for hour, Discord is going to give shallow or imperfect answers.

The major advantage Forums have is they bundle a question and the answers in one thread. Eventually the thread scrolls away, much like a Discord discussion does, but it does it much slower. That slowness is a major advantage for getting real answers to questions for the simple fact one must see a question to answer a question. Ironically, this same slowness may contribute to lower population counts on forums, versus one liner discussion venues.

While both Forums and Discord have search features, Forums have the advantage that questions are actually seen to be answered, while One Liner Venues have the whole "I" thing advantage. I typed and someone answered immediately. I matter.

In a world where most answers are equal, then Discord would probably excel over Forums. Since these forums make it clear that not all answers are even remotely equal, then Forums can be competitive in accuracy.

Still, many people want an answer now, not the better answer, later.

Reactions:
One extra thing for me personally is that the speed can be discouraging on larger, less well split up and managed discords.

There's no guarantee anyone will even acknowledge my question before it's scrolled away. And if someone does, now whoever needs to find the question in the future has to read through 20 messages in between to get the question and answer couplet, before even getting into the quality of the answer.

And ofc: the answer and question will never be findable from the surface web like forum answers. Only within an assortment of cloistered communities hiding behind numerous discords that you don't necessary know will have what you need.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Discord is more and more like a monetized social media platform these days, with server boosts etc. and all the problems of spams of all kinds.
Questions and answers for me are better organized in a forum, like here.
Still, it's good for spontaneous events or having multiplayer games together, especially with the integrated voice chat.
The increased data mining from Discord worries me though, especially discouraging people to "delete too many of their messages" or something like that.
But hey, another slender modern voice chat tool will probably pop up sooner or later and become popular, with some other unique things better than Discord, with Discord joining the fate of Hamachi and other formerly popular tools.

• 2Like
Reactions:
dumb.

discord is for illiterate millennials
I dropped a HaHa face on your post, because I think I get where you are coming from, but personally, it is flipped for me. Last year, my millennial daughter became our family's first official scientist. I am not a scientist. If she starts to talk to fast about microbiology or genes, I get the starry eye look. I am proud of her, but she surpassed her dad when it comes to education, maths, and science. Dr. Daughter for LOL.

I think I have her beat where it comes to HOI4, so we're good. :)

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I dropped a HaHa face on your post, because I think I get where you are coming from, but personally, it is flipped for me. Last year, my millennial daughter became our family's first official scientist. I am not a scientist. If she starts to talk to fast about microbiology or genes, I get the starry eye look. I am proud of her, but she surpassed her dad when it comes to education, maths, and science. Dr. Daughter for LOL.

I think I have her beat where it comes to HOI4, so we're good. :)
Well, your daughter obviously isn't an illiterate millennial ;)

That being said, I am technically also a millennial and also the first one in the family who graduated... so...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well, your daughter obviously isn't an illiterate millennial ;)

That being said, I am technically also a millennial and also the first one in the family who graduated... so...
Congratulations! It is not easy on the child or the parents to break through a barrier. Once that person enters the space no family member has been in generations, or ever, that person has to make their own torch and blaze a path. Salute.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: