Hearts of Iron - OFFICIAL DISCORD!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PDXMidgeman

Private
Community Ambassador
Jul 17, 2020
Announcement-GIF-Twitter.gif

Generals!

The frontlines are expanding! Our community is making an operational push onto a new platform! That's right, D(iscord)-Day is upon us!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION, JOIN THE FIGHT, JOIN THE SERVER

Wumpus tank background.png

Last edited:
  • 11Like
Reactions:
Try "Join the CONVERSATION....."
did it... but not becoming a member ... strange. Maybe to many people are trying
EDIT: i knew the link was working... only on discord I am staying unverified.... Even when I accept the rules ...

Last edited:
Reactions:
I accepted the rules 20 minutes ago but I'm still not verified. I think your verification bot might be struggling?

I just hope they devs don't forget about those of us still on the forum, as long as we are respectfully following the rules of conduct. :) I don't have time to keep up with so many social media sites for Paradox games.

Reactions:
I'd personally like to keep my discord and paradox forum identities seperate for, uh, reasons.

Reactions:
I just got verified. About one hour of waiting.....

Over 4 hours ago there appeared a dev message that the server bot would provide verification in about 90 minutes, but as of writing this I've been in line for about 7 hours and still no verification. I've clicked the button to confirm I accept the rules as is visible below:

1649361863889.png

Over 4 hours ago there appeared a dev message that the server bot would provide verification in about 90 minutes, but as of writing this I've been in line for about 7 hours and still no verification. I've clicked the button to confirm I accept the rules as is visible below:

View attachment 826989
App/ping one of the moderators. Katten for example. They can help. For me it was an hour. But I was one of the first who requested it.

App/ping one of the moderators. Katten for example. They can help. For me it was an hour. But I was one of the first who requested it.

Turned out it wasn't necessary (also I'm pretty sure the rules specifically forbade doing that): verification had been done overnight. However I already left the server after a couple of minutes of checking it out; not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Me, I loathe social media (and am keeping myself out of them) and try to keep my other stuff cropped and centralized and not liking to be member in umpteen forums and platforms and keeping track tons of different login data while also not allowing a single entity to get a hold on different accounts (i.e. ONE account for a game and related stuff should be enough)

This is just diluting the community somewhat in the long run. These forums are just fine. Also, I fear, that conversations on a real-time medium are not of same sandard of quality as forum stuff is. I mean, if you are not online you might miss things, different people are mixing up discussions while in a written forum you can take your time for reading stuff, let it sink in and think about a good answer. Good conversation does not need to be rushed. Well, just my point of view: wasted resources.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Me, I loathe social media (and am keeping myself out of them) and try to keep my other stuff cropped and centralized and not liking to be member in umpteen forums and platforms and keeping track tons of different login data while also not allowing a single entity to get a hold on different accounts (i.e. ONE account for a game and related stuff should be enough)

This is just diluting the community somewhat in the long run. These forums are just fine. Also, I fear, that conversations on a real-time medium are not of same sandard of quality as forum stuff is. I mean, if you are not online you might miss things, different people are mixing up discussions while in a written forum you can take your time for reading stuff, let it sink in and think about a good answer. Good conversation does not need to be rushed. Well, just my point of view: wasted resources.
Discord is great for a lot of things. It lets you ask quick questions and get quick answers by whoever happens to be online at the time, you can organize MP games on the fly, you can be in a lot of different communities and keep in touch with a lot of people. Sure, you won't get formal discussions in a discord server. But why does everything need to be like a forum? I don't really know why you talk about conversations being rushed on discord, that's just called a conversation and it's at the same pace as a conversation you'd have in real life.

I would wager a guess that the *checks notes* 37, 173 people in the server think that Discord is just fine for talking about hoi4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Discord is great for a lot of things. It lets you ask quick questions and get quick answers by whoever happens to be online at the time, you can organize MP games on the fly, you can be in a lot of different communities and keep in touch with a lot of people. Sure, you won't get formal discussions in a discord server. But why does everything need to be like a forum? I don't really know why you talk about conversations being rushed on discord, that's just called a conversation and it's at the same pace as a conversation you'd have in real life.

Well, let's talk about what you've written a bit more. You are correct, via Discord you can ask quick questions and organize games and even have it up while gaming. That is where this tool is perfectly suitable for. I get no use of it as I don't do MP. Reasons: time and to some account toxicity on the chat. Really, I like to relax nowadays. Maybe I have become old - so what?

Being in touch with many, many people basically is being in touch with none - these might just be people convenient to know. That is what I learned from years of friendships in real life. A small number of people really matters and most are not really worth bothering or diluting your time on them. Was wrong already with legions of Facebook 'friends'. But then - to keep in touch with some base of possible players for a game of HoI4 perfectly fine.

The point with the 'not-so-formal'-discussions on discord. Well - they can even be toxic and frankly: I did not reach the age of 45 to listen to trash-talk or be target of such things. As stated above, I want to relax and tend to my hobby in a civilized surrounding without me worrying about people manners. Something I believe, Discord or other (voice-)chats do not provide me with.

Rushed...well let's put it like that: For me: Discord is chatting, a quick talk at best. A decent conversation - for me - is something that takes some time for thinking for every person partaking. I am patient, I can wait for answers. This is something, Discord does not provide me with either, I think. For me, things do not need to be told in 2 sentences from a smartphone. I am happy with reading some wall of text, if it is good. So obviously, I am not the target group and for me this is a wasted feature but maybe good for others.

Reactions:
The point with the 'not-so-formal'-discussions on discord. Well - they can even be toxic and frankly: I did not reach the age of 45 to listen to trash-talk or be target of such things. As stated above, I want to relax and tend to my hobby in a civilized surrounding without me worrying about people manners. Something I believe, Discord or other (voice-)chats do not provide me with.
That's fair. I haven't really experienced much toxicity in the hoi4 community aside from other players in MP which you can just leave or report to the mods. From my experience that server is actually pretty friendly especially to people asking for help (they have a channel dedicated to it). I'd say give it a try before you knock it but you probably already decided not to. It's not for everyone, but I don't really see problems with it. I hardly ever spend time in 90% of the servers I'm in, but whenever I have a question or something to share I can hop in and talk for a few minutes. The main draw of Discord to me is just talking with friends who also use discord as opposed to texting or other social networks, and convenience.

Fair enough. I already stated that this is one thing, Discord is good at.
Like you… I am not looking for a new forum thing… but for quick question / answers or some QnA it could be nice.

Now our dev /PDX friends just dropped discord into the forum WITHOUT explaining where we can use it for.

I have asked the question… but still no answer here on the forum nor in discord.
Hope to get it from someone.

And I totally agree with you. I got a social live and playing this game for fun. Not looking for a chatbox or something like “facebook” etc. For me Hoi4 is a game to relax and posts/threads on this forum I can read an reply whenever I want too. And yes…I am old too.. way past 45. But still enjoying to play hoi4.

MP is not my piece of cake. To fast, to many chats, to many rules etc. Maybe I just haven’t found the right MP group to play a HOI4 game with.

Anyway… hope we can still have some nice topic/threads on this forum and not that we need to read it on discord…

But why does everything need to be like a forum?
My take is that, while discord is fine conceptually, in a lot of subcommunities like modding communities it has almost completely killed forums and is now being used as an informal archive for information and a de facto forum.

It really depends on the direction paradox decides to take it though, because all of those have been the fault of teams that cba to manage forum posts for some reason.

And of course one universal benefit that forums will always have over Discord is that Discord is terrible for archiving and sifting through information and previous discussions. I don't always want to have to talk to someone to quickly find a solution to a problem.

Reactions: