Hearts of Iron IV: La Résistance will release on February 25th

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
La Résistance:
—Cannot role-play Belarusian partisans on the Eastern front (or anything else there, because the Eastern front is a joke anyway).
—Can form Al-Andalus.
—Please give us 20 eur.
Well, okay, I guess there is no sense in playing HOI4 for yet another year.

Well this'll be the first HoI IV DLC I buy - that season pass I preordered was a hell of a deal :p
Amen to that.

This release is coming a lot sooner that i expected. Thought it would be late March at the earliest.

Is anyone truly excited about this DLC?

I am ! Not to act like the easy fanboy but the intel and resistance stuff is something I ever dreamed of in HoI4. But this is probably because of my personal background and interests.
A better tree for France and Iberia are also welcomed, thinking how scrawny and limited they were.

Maybe the DLC is not worth 20€, but it is way too soon to say that or even talk about "reviewing it" while nobody outside of PDS has played it so far. Let us see how the new mechanics actually work, if they add depth or not, are they fun to handle, etc.
But so far, yes I am really excited to try it out. Can't wait.

De gustibus as they say ! ;-)

La Résistance:
—Cannot role-play Belarusian partisans on the Eastern front (or anything else there, because the Eastern front is a joke anyway).
—Can form Al-Andalus.
—Please give us 20 eur.
Well, okay, I guess there is no sense in playing HOI4 for yet another year.
Have a resistance themed DLC. Choose French Resistance as a main theme, who had skirmishes and brawls compared to the bloodbaths and massive guerilla operations of Soviet, Polish, Chinese, Greek and Yugoslav partisans.

Last edited:
Yeah it'd be great to be able to play as Chetniks and Partisans fighting a three-way war between themselves and Ustashas, Italians, Germans and other Axis puppet forces. Both DoD and WtT were quite disappointing for their lack of representation of the guerrilla forces of the involved countries...

Yeah it'd be great to be able to play as Chetniks and Partisans fighting a three-way war between themselves and Ustashas, Italians, Germans and other Axis puppet forces.

Would it, though?

You'd likely control a tiny handful of divisions with crappy templates and no military industry. This sounds like the opposite of fun to me.

Truth is nobody would ever actually play this. Maybe once for achievements or the novelty factor, but beyond that, no.

For as much as some people complain about Paradox's choices for the DLC their own proposed alternatives sound much worse.

I'll take the Spanish Civil War over controlling three divisions of infantry behind enemy lines as a non-existent state any day.

STOCKHOLM - 23 January 2020 - The codes have been cracked and your agents are ready to move. The enemy will do their best to uncover your mission, but you’ve been preparing for this day for months. You will expose the collaborators and bring the vengeance of the oppressed to the very doorstep of the occupier. You are La Résistance. And the date of the operation has been set.

Paradox Development Studio is ready to announce that La Résistance, the next expansion to Hearts of Iron IV, will be available for all generals and spymasters on February 25, 2020. Hearts of Iron IV, Paradox’s best-selling strategy wargame about World War II, will now be supplemented by an expansion that highlights the challenge of governing unruly conquests and the power of well-placed spies.

Features of Hearts of Iron IV: La Résistance include:
  • New Focus Trees for France: New National Focuses for Free France and the Vichy Regime, as well as an option for conservatives to restore the old French Monarchy.
  • More in Depth Spanish Campaign: New National Focuses for Republican and Nationalist Spain, including an expanded Spanish Civil War that can spiral into a wider conflict.
  • Portuguese National Focuses: New unique focus tree for Portugal. Restore Portuguese naval power, strengthen the overseas empire or intervene in the Civil War next door.
  • Espionage: Use your Intelligence Agency to train spies to specialize in certain types of information warfare and send them on special operations, or develop passive resistance to enemy espionage.
  • Support Resistance: Use your agents to assist allied resistance movements, giving them what they need to damage the enemy.
  • Collaboration Governments: Use your agents to prepare the ground for collaborators to fill the void once you’ve conquered your target.
  • Code Cracking: Decrypt enemy communications to gain short term battlefield advantages.
  • Recon units: Scout planes can provide useful information on nearby areas while armored cars help in detecting and suppressing resistance activities.
Hearts of Iron IV: La Résistance is now available for pre-order on Steam and Microsoft Store for a suggested retail price of $19.99 and will be available at Steam, Microsoft Store and the Paradox store on February 25, 2020.

When can we get a changelog?

Are any major bugs fixed?
Major bugs like:

AI builds no tanks. (bug exists since 1.0) --> Can be tested by checking 1945 field equipment of major powers.
AI leaves entire Fronts (Maginot) empty. (bug exists since 1.0) --> can be tested by creating a war between France and Italy, France will remove all troops from the German border)
AI can not make proper use of lend-lease. (bug exists since 1.0) --> Can be tested by checking 1945 field equipment of major powers.
AI can not handle mines. (bug exists since 1.6) --> Can be tested by planting mines all around the UK, it will not attempt to remove them.
AI suicides with infantry in entrenched positions until out of manpower and equipment. --> can be tested by observing any AI frontline where the battleplan is normal or aggressive.

Would it, though?

You'd likely control a tiny handful of divisions with crappy templates and no military industry. This sounds like the opposite of fun to me.

Truth is nobody would ever actually play this. Maybe once for achievements or the novelty factor, but beyond that, no.

For as much as some people complain about Paradox's choices for the DLC their own proposed alternatives sound much worse.

I'll take the Spanish Civil War over controlling three divisions of infantry behind enemy lines as a non-existent state any day.

You’d at least have more troops and industry than the new pacific nations :)

Thank God, long awaited expansion. The game now looks near to a complete WW2 game. Thanks again Developers. I'll buy it for the sake of your work and efforts.

So when and what would be the next expansion? At tne end of 2020? Some more things and small stuffs to make the game more interesting?

1.For the Motherland USSR? Comintern?
2.Special Units DLC? SS units, Soviet Red Guards? British SAS? American Paratroopers? More 3D models? i'd like to buy 3D recon unit of Zundapp BMW motorcycles with MG42?
3.Order of Battle division, corps, front DLC? more generals and traits?
4.Railway? Deep water ports? Highway? more dedicated buildings such as anti-tank trench? famous defensive lines? all in one DLC?

Thank God, long awaited expansion. The game now looks near to a complete WW2 game. Thanks again Developers. I'll buy it for the sake of your work and efforts.

So when and what would be the next expansion? At tne end of 2020? Some more things and small stuffs to make the game more interesting?

2.Special Units DLC? SS units, Soviet Red Guards? British SAS? American Paratroopers? More 3D models? i'd like to buy 3D recon unit of Zundapp BMW motorcycles with MG42?
4.Railway? Deep water ports? Highway? more dedicated buildings such as anti-tank trench? famous defensive lines? all in one DLC?

I hope in the USSR DLC will be affected by paratroopers. Since the USSR was a pioneer and leader in the Airborne Forces and inspired Germany and France (the First French military parachute instructors were trained in the USSR) to create their own Airborne. Airborne will receive light tanks as Marines. The Soviet Airborne Forces already in 1936 have light tanks. The USSR focus tree should get focus for the bonus to the Airborne Forces. And of course, I would like to finally get different infantry skins for the Airborne Forces, Marines and Mountain Forces. If this does not happen it will be a huge disappointment.

Surely USSR has to be next unless it's the Mediterranean theater.

My only complain is the weak and poorly developed Portuguese Focus tree. Even with the DLC, i´m gonna use the Portuguese ++ Mod, at least the events and focus are more historical (overpowered, yes, but more developed)

Would it, though?

You'd be surprised. I already prefer to play minor factions, and guerrilla hit and run tactics sound more interesting than the division spam frontline slogging we usually see in HoI4.

Also Tito's partisans actually did have an arms industry, and the Chetniks had a substantial supply of arms from Serbian collaborationist deserters and the Italian army, which often armed Chetnik units to fight the Partisans (but which did also attack German and Croatian troops).

Yes we got a bunch of cool new tracks in the DLC. Gonna let you listen to some samples in a diary before release
I admit I'm more excited to get more music than any of the content. Except Spanish civil war, which looks to be really cool.
(Not to diss any of the content, it's just that espionage isn't really my thing.
Oh, but reworked partisans and resistance forces (more depth and no more cavalry division micro-management) will be awesome, of course :p ).

Any chance we will see selectable air equipment so that air wings on remote fronts dont eventually use the newest planes, or allowing certain wings to use specific purpose built variants?

Maybe the DLC is not worth 20€, but it is way too soon to say that or even talk about "reviewing it" while nobody outside of PDS has played it so far. Let us see how the new mechanics actually work, if they add depth or not, are they fun to handle, etc.
But so far, yes I am really excited to try it out. Can't wait.
Maybe but, as 20 € are my personal limit for "I don't care" I wouldn't complain if it isn't great.
But I'd say it is worth it.
One we ge a total new gameplay for Spain, their civil war is looking like the most interesting part of the game
Two, espionage, come on :) I had routed for it for a long time and would have been satisfied with just EU IV espionage, but this mechanic they offer? Thats great.
They could have sold the Espionage mechanic without spain for me and it would have been it's money worth.