Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 58 - Tutorial, Wiki & Browser

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Hi everyone! Today we will be talking about something pretty important: How to learn how to play Hearts of Iron IV! To help with this we have two important tools: Tutorial & Game Wiki.

Tutorial
Hearts of Iron IV is very much the easiest HOI to get into, but it is still a complex hardcore game, and as such we want people to get the best and smoothest start possible on the way to mastering it.

wATVdDj.jpg

HOI4 features a somewhat nonlinear tutorial where you will be starting off as Italy and learning about different aspects of the game. Each step will generally also contain links to in-depth info on the Wiki (more about that soon). Italy is a good country to learn with because it puts you in a pretty easy war with ethiopia right away and it's pretty much up to you when and how you get involved with WW2. The tutorial is also not something that ends, so you can keep playing on as Italy with the same savegame if you so chose (recommended for first playthrough).

QpC7HsW.jpg

Wiki
In my opinion a complete and up to date wiki is an important part of playing and learning to master a Paradox grand strategy title so we wanted to make sure there was a wiki available from launch and also that it was integrated in the game. Thats right, we now have an ingame browser so reading info won't take you out of the game experience and its possible to open links directly from the game in it.
The browser can be set up to use your regular external one if you like also, which is pretty nice if you have multiple screens. For people on trains or otherwise disconnected from the internet - the game ships with an offline version of the wiki as well you can decide to use instead.
uAunBMX.jpg

You can go check out the wiki already here.

We will also be releasing a series of beginner tutorial videos starting next week for people who prefer to learn by observing :)

See you guys next friday when we'll do the last diary before release!

Reactions:
Sweet with the integrated wiki :D

Reactions:
"We will also be releasing a series of beginner tutorial videos starting next week for people who prefer to learn by observing :)"

I learn best by getting everything wrong and getting trashed by the Duchy of Luxembourg. Could I have an sort of Snapchat version to make mistakes on while I wait for June 6?;)

Reactions:
...and some people wonder why we call Stellaris an Early Access game. Thats why! Even tutorial looks way more polised. A propper AAA title incoming.

Reactions:
I probably would have used the tutorial for this game if it wasn't for the fact I've watched every World War Wednesday up to this point and feel I can play the game already. XD

Reactions:
I probably would have used the tutorial for this game if it wasn't for the fact I've watched every World War Wednesday up to this point and feel I can play the game already. XD
yeah, you are probably pretty set if you've done that. Daniel is great at showing stuff off :) Not everyone wants to go through like 20h of videos before they play though so I think its good to have this :D

The wiki of course has the advantage of being forever evolving too for people getting into the game later.

Reactions:
When it comes to multiplayer (because I don't believe you've mentioned this yet?), will it be possible to host it on LAN? Looks good, very excited for release! :)

After watching the WWW videos I feel fully prepared to take on the world as Germany on the hardest setting out the gate.

Am I right?

Reactions:
This is great, thanks.

I really missed a tutorial, like the one you're doing for HoI4, for HoI3 as in a helping hand to show the basics and how to get started. I kinda gave up on it and just stuck with HoI2 (which is still an awesome game imho:))

@podcat

i really like it, that you integrate the wiki in your game, thats a good way to make HoI IV more accessible

does that also mean that the paradoxians will continue to contribute to the wiki after launch?

Reactions:
i have friends who tried to play HOI3 ,and scratched the surface of EU4 before giving up in frustration.. filthy casuals.

i approve of this.

Reactions:
Reactions:
In my opinion a complete and up to date wiki is an important part of playing and learning to master a Paradox grand strategy title so we wanted to make sure there was a wiki available from launch and also that it was integrated in the game. Thats right, we now have an ingame browser so reading info won't take you out of the game experience and its possible to open links directly from the game in it.
Clearly the most important feature in the game by far.

Reactions:
How far will the Tutorial take you? I assume one of the objectives won't be start a Fascist Coup in France but will it show guide you to changing the popular support in other countries?

Reactions: