Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 5 - Production Lines

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Highly seconded :)

Specifically I'm thinking of the aircraft that the US was building for France while all that business was going on. Not sure what the quantity was, but I remember reading somehwhere on this forum that the Curtiss Aircraft Company provided France with fighters that ended up in Vichy service.

Not talking about lend-lease, which didn't start until 1941. Also I don't mean specifically this example, just situations like that.

Specifically I'm thinking of the aircraft that the US was building for France while all that business was going on. Not sure what the quantity was, but I remember reading somehwhere on this forum that the Curtiss Aircraft Company provided France with fighters that ended up in Vichy service.

Not talking about lend-lease, which didn't start until 1941. Also I don't mean specifically this example, just situations like that.

Although I've no idea obviously of how licensing will work in HOI4, I don't expect the companies aspect to work in that regard. I'm presuming that companies will work as they did in HOI2, where they provided exclusive research bonuses to the state they were researching for. There was no agency or independence in terms of producing aircraft or equipment for other states, the companies were purely dedicated to research, and that appears to be the case for HOI4. There may well be licensing options available in HOI4, but from what has been said I doubt they'd stem from the company system.

Excuse me
Everyone aleady might be able to know I don't know. How production in the occupied provinces affect in this game?
Even if it is added to the production of the occupied country, and of the its 10% or 20%?
If Axis had occupied other country's provincies, this will be important matter, I think so.
Then I want to know that. Someone announce me, thank you.

Nobody here knows but either they are keept working or they are removed, devs have said that it was the later that would happen but they have considered the first option so it could be so that production lines are kept.

Reactions:
Nobody here knows but either they are keept working or they are removed, devs have said that it was the later that would happen but they have considered the first option so it could be so that production lines are kept.
Thank you for your reply, Denkt. Nobody knows...... If it will be over 20%, the effect to occupation will be nice, I feel so. Anyway through the game I must learn it early.

Why does the construction of tanks, motorised units and aircraft require so much oil? It seems counter intuitive to me. I would have thought that the use of these weapons require oil rather than the production of them. Surely the thought cannot be that the oil requirements are for the tools and machines or factories? Then all types of weapons should require oil to produce.

Why does the construction of tanks, motorised units and aircraft require so much oil? It seems counter intuitive to me. I would have thought that the use of these weapons require oil rather than the production of them. Surely the thought cannot be that the oil requirements are for the tools and machines or factories? Then all types of weapons should require oil to produce.
I saw your pick-up in the "War is looking good [Alpha ...]", indeed, in the Production scene the construction of tanks,motorised and aircraft need some oil. It will be strange. wrong?

I saw your pick-up in the "War is looking good [Alpha ...]", indeed, in the Production scene the construction of tanks,motorised and aircraft need some oil. It will be strange. wrong?

I just do not understand the logic behind having to pour a lot of oil into a tank every day it is constructed, and if I opt to use a different tank that oil cannot be used in the other tank instead. It seems strange tungsten is used for artillery too, if tungsten is supposed to be a) for ammunition and b) for AP rounds. Oil and tungsten seem to belong in supply and fuel production, not in weapons production. I am sure some other suitable strategic resource could be used/introduced for the production of the weapons themselves.

Reactions:
One question for podcat or Darkreknown:

Since apparently stockpiles being done away with, and resource deprivation apparently has immediate industrial production repercussions, isn't the UK going to be a bit too much at the mercy of a German blockade? As long as the blockade is successful even for a few weeks, UK's industrial output during those successful weeks most convoys are sunk, is grounded to a halt, or close to it.

My understanding is that production is not shut down when in resource lack. Only efficiency goes down.

Reactions:
I just do not understand the logic behind having to pour a lot of oil into a tank every day it is constructed, and if I opt to use a different tank that oil cannot be used in the other tank instead. It seems strange tungsten is used for artillery too, if tungsten is supposed to be a) for ammunition and b) for AP rounds. Oil and tungsten seem to belong in supply and fuel production, not in weapons production. I am sure some other suitable strategic resource could be used/introduced for the production of the weapons themselves.

Maybe oil to oil the machinery needed to build those tanks.

You have to grease the wheels of industry

It seems strange tungsten is used for artillery too, if tungsten is supposed to be a) for ammunition and b) for AP rounds. Oil and tungsten seem to belong in supply and fuel production, not in weapons production. I am sure some other suitable strategic resource could be used/introduced for the production of the weapons themselves.
It is not. Artillery requires alloying metals for barrels, and since we only have 6 resources, and not 30+, it would be logical for rare-earth metals to fall into tungsten, and not iron.

Reactions:
It is not. Artillery requires alloying metals for barrels, and since we only have 6 resources, and not 30+, it would be logical for rare-earth metals to fall into tungsten, and not iron.
Ok.

As far as oil greasing the wheels of industry though, industry is used to produce all things built in military factories, not just tanks and trucks specifically. It seems to me this requirement is just taken from other crude games where supplies or fuel are not simulated, but rather simply put in as a production requirement to reflect that tanks and trucks require fuel to operate, without much reflection to whether this is a suitable production requirement for HoI.

The removal of stockpiling resources is just beyond comprehension, it makes no sense whatsoever and all the reasons people gave to justify it are just plain wrong and/or inapplicable.

Stockpiling resources happened and still happens, its an extremely important strategic factor. Now if you ask me HoI3 stockpiling was dumb, but removing the feature is even dumber.

A simple suggestion for a simple system:
- Each resource has a stockpiling formula, it checks some factor like IC/Manpower/Number of Provinces/Whatever and calculates the maximum viable stockpiling of each resource, so lets say Germany can stockpile 100k coal, this means that when they reach 100k the loss of stockpiles are equal to the income of such resource, and the less stockpile you have the less loss of stockpiles, meaning that the player wants to keep as low of a stockpile as possible, BUT... BUT... if he is preparing for a war and doesn't have whatever, he isn't doomed to produce "slowly" because you know, maybe the player doesn't want to produce slowly...

Reactions: