Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 1 - Our Vision

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The displaced American continent again? Doesn't that mess up the realistic day/night cycle?
I guess the areas that are affected aren't that important, but it seems a bit silly to me to try and be very accurate on one hand and then have something as simple as correct placement of continents completely wrong. :p

Reactions:
VGPrKOa.jpg

Podcat approves. :happy:

Yes, as the big red disclaimer says this is the final version of the map and no further changes will be made :p
Ah! I knew it, all those months ahead when you guys will just play catchess.

edit: map looks really sweet and I really can't wait for more dd, already want to know how techs will be handled and this and that

Oh my God, thats a really lovely map! :cool:

I think hard times are coming for the map modders hier in our forum. Hard to change nearly perfect things. :p

Finally we get eye candy world war 2 maps with Paradox new Version of our beloved HoI Series!!! cheers!!! :wub:

I think more people would like the finer details of HoI3 than are being given credit. The game became eminently playable with TFH.

I'll miss the detail. That being said, the map is gorgeous.

The displaced American continent again? Doesn't that mess up the realistic day/night cycle?
I guess the areas that are affected aren't that important, but it seems a bit silly to me to try and be very accurate on one hand and then have something as simple as correct placement of continents completely wrong. :p

this is the result of the design decision made by Xie and I when we first made the map as a mod back for Vic-1. The problem is that the Americas have a wider range of latitudes from North to South vs the Eastern Hemisphere. If you went -strictly- geographic then you would have to make the surface area of the Eastern Hemisphere smaller and include a lot of empty ocean in the South in order to match the latitude of Cape Horn. This would mean reducing the number of functional land provinces in the Eastern Hemisphere since there would simply be fewel land pixels in the region and you need a minimum number of pixels per province to make them viable for gameplay without being too cluttered or difficult to click on.

For purposes of gameplay, we decided to use slightly different latitude lines in the Eastern Hempisphere as opposed to the Western Hemisphere so as to maximize the land surface playability in the East while still being able to include the sea lanes around Cape Horn at the end of South America. In the end, I would argue that the result is a highly functional map that, while not 100% geographically correct, represented a major improvement for Paradox games as a whole, something Paradox apparently must concur with as they continue to use the base map for EUIV and now HoI4.

Happy to see a proper evil-looking fantasy flag for Germany instead of the anachronistic imperial tricolor.

I like everything that has been said and shown so far (Germany seems to have more proper flag for the period at last), but I am waiting for more.

No Murmansk convoy again? => The northern part of the map is cut :whistle:.
Might be cut because they don't fit on screen. I hope that's the case.

this is the result of the design decision made by Xie and I when we first made the map as a mod back for Vic-1. The problem is that the Americas have a wider range of latitudes from North to South vs the Eastern Hemisphere. If you went -strictly- geographic then you would have to make the surface area of the Eastern Hemisphere smaller and include a lot of empty ocean in the South in order to match the latitude of Cape Horn. This would mean reducing the number of functional land provinces in the Eastern Hemisphere since there would simply be fewel land pixels in the region and you need a minimum number of pixels per province to make them viable for gameplay without being too cluttered or difficult to click on.

For purposes of gameplay, we decided to use slightly different latitude lines in the Eastern Hempisphere as opposed to the Western Hemisphere so as to maximize the land surface playability in the East while still being able to include the sea lanes around Cape Horn at the end of South America. In the end, I would argue that the result is a highly functional map that, while not 100% geographically correct, represented a major improvement for Paradox games as a whole, something Paradox apparently must concur with as they continue to use the base map for EUIV and now HoI4.

Yeah its a good map for gameplay. No projection is really "accurate" its all about what you need it for. We moved some stuff around as well for example the english channel is much wider than in reality to make invasions and strategic warfare more interesting. It was much too narrow for doing that ok in hoi3.