Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 13 - Conscription & Training

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will factory efficiency be fully affected by conscription laws if you are not actually using all the men you could be? That is, if you have managed to get the political capital to pass Service by Requirement, but have only recruited/planned divisions for the amount of men you would get from Limited Conscription, are all those excess men just sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting to be called up or are they still working in a factory?

Dev Diary 13 - Conscription & Training
Training on the map costs equipment for every day of training as rifles, tanks and other stuff breaks down, so if you are trying to build up a stockpile of arms for an offensive you might need to hold back on training to keep your storage filled.

So just to be clear:

When we upgrade our division's Pz I to Pz II later on, the Pz I tanks will still be sitting around somewhere, and can be issued to a training division? And we can keep doing that, until all the Pz I have been wrecked by learning drivers? And we can choose that the training division should be issues Pz I and not the latest model available, and them swap the equipment when they are finished training?

Reactions:
Thanks for the dev diary!
During peacetime, if I'm training my units and they reach maximum allowed, do I continue to earn experience points if I just keep them in training mode. Or does the training just automatically stop when they've reached their maximum?

Thanks for the dev diary!
During peacetime, if I'm training my units and they reach maximum allowed, do I continue to earn experience points if I just keep them in training mode. Or does the training just automatically stop when they've reached their maximum?

stops at max

Reactions:
On a side note, can you convert stored vehicles to variants or derivatives ?

For example, can I replace my Panzer Is with Panzer IIs, spend a bit of Army Experience to create a beefed up Panzerjäger I (1936-level light TD), convert my reserve Panzer Is to this TD variant and assign them to TD battalions in my Armored and Motorized divisions ?

Very impressive mechanics. For all dds so far as well. My hats off to the coders who will have to implement. It would appear quite to code and implement.

I assume that with the complexity and the items that need ironed out, that there will be quite a detailed and throrough testing that will need performed to unsure proper working mechanisms and modules?

Are there any reason NOT to do Off/On-map training in peacetime??

"Are there any reason NOT to do Off/On-map training in peacetime??"

I suppose there are a couple of reasons not to train them.

Just before a war you would rather put your soldiers in the field instead of training them behind the lines.
Manpower might just not be that important. Say when russia has some outdated equipment and an excess of manpower.
Equipment might be hard to come by. So hard that you rather spend it in the war then for training. (lets say Germany in `44/`45)
Maybe you would rather let some men die in the field and earn their experience by fighting then spend time and equipment to train them.

I`m hoping their will be more reasons as otherwise it will just be extra miscromanagement.

Podcat, you say: "ships and air only gain experience at war when doing missions atm".. I really hope this changes and your "atm" means you are serious thinking of it. Pilots went through extensive training before taking the air. Nations that trained their pilots pre-war showed when the war started. Navy seems a bit more complicated but hopefully training will be used for that too. Thanks Podcat! Gracias Amigo

I agree

Nations that rushed training and sent green pilots quickly to from (like Japan and Germany in 44 and 45) suffered significant losses against better trained allied pilots.

Is it possible to create more then 5 templates?

AFAIK, we can create as many as we want, but creation and changing of templates cost you Land experience.