Hearts of Iron IV announces new expansion Man the Guns

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bus

Product Marketing Manager
Paradox Staff
Oct 9, 2017
hoi4-mtt-twitter.jpg

Two thirds of the earth’s surface is covered by water, and free access to the nautical highways is essential to empire. In wartime, these highways are contested waters and you, or an ally, must be able to regulate that traffic. Carriers, convoys and battle cruisers -- these are the weapons of the sea. Your enemy is over the horizon. It is time to Man the Guns!

Man the Guns is the newest expansion to the best-selling grand strategy wargame, Hearts of Iron IV. Paradox Development Studio will have more to say in coming weeks, but, for now, our intelligence agents have been cleared to forward the following information:

Man the Guns adds greater depth to the naval side of the war, including the ability to design your warships in more detail. Add armor or heavier guns through a modular design. You can also refit older ships so that they are more in line with the latest technology.

Man the Guns also introduces new options for the democratic nations, including new paths for the United States and other great free nations. Explore alternate histories or fully mobilize the arsenal of democracy.

There are many more details to reveal, but, at the moment, these are state secrets. But, as usual, Man the Guns will accompanied by a large, free update available to everyone who owns Hearts of Iron IV.

Hearts of Iron IV: Man the Guns will be available soon. To pre-order visit Paradox Plaza.

This still in the expansion pass, yeh?

Podcat said fuel is coming for navy and other units :)

A naval expansion is just what the game needed :)

View attachment 370286
Man the Guns adds greater depth to the naval side of the war, including the ability to design your warships in more detail. Add armor or heavier guns through a modular design. You can also refit older ships so that they are more in line with the latest technology.
Hopefully we will get some really wacky options like torpedo and ASW-equipped battleships :cool:

On the one hand I'm pleased to Fuel, a fundamental aspect of WW2 added to the game. On the other hand it's getting silly to see more features present in Hoi3, deliberately ommitted in the design stage of 4 being retconned into the title as DLC.

Chain of command, impassable terrain, aerial resupply...

Last edited:
You know, I'm glad that this might lead to naval improvements but "Operation Backflip"? Really?

Honestly if you wanted to use an operation name you should have just went with "Operation Neuland". You could have switched the entire theme of the trailer that way while remaining historical yet not offensive to those sensitive in Europe to the Reich.

"Man the Guns also introduces new options for the democratic nations, including new paths for the United States and other great free nations"

I am guessing they will add national focus trees for the scandinavian or low country nations. Since paradox add focus trees to groups of countries in the same region and they are the two regions that start with democratic countries at the start. I am leaning more towards the Scandinavian nations getting new focus trees here.

So, SU continues to suck. Great... Second most playable major after Germany, and for Germany it's first place was enough to get into DLC, focused on China and Japan.

"Man the Guns also introduces new options for the democratic nations, including new paths for the United States and other great free nations"

I am guessing they will add national focus trees for the scandinavian or low country nations. Since paradox add focus trees to groups of countries in the same region and they are the two regions that start with democratic countries at the start. I am leaning more towards the Scandinavian nations getting new focus trees here.
Hopefully also France. France is my pet issue in HOI IV now. Way too weak compared to how she stood in 1939. And she is a major democratic nation.

I guess they will add more into this expansion? Or is it all we get? In that case 20 euro is a damn rip off.
I remember them saying that the next expansion will have at least as much content as Waking the Tiger, so we should expect this one to be pretty significant. I'm guessing USA will be next in line for a focus tree redesign, shame for Soviets. Then again, I believe the game badly needs a land combat expansion, so it could make sense for a special Soviet/Barbarossa themed update at some point.

Hopefully also France. France is my pet issue in HOI IV now. Way too weak compared to how she stood in 1939. And she is a major democratic nation.

You will never see anything remotely accurate for France, because "game balance" and overall quality of historical research.

Battle of the Mexican Gulf? Someone's universal translator failed.

US, UK, and.....? Pick some minors allied with them. Not Scandinavian. And probably no other majors either.