Hearts of Iron IV - 49th Development Diary - 18th of March 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Today's topic is an explosive one (heh) - nukes!

C8rioUH.jpg

Nuclear weapons are a late game tech and there are several steps to acquire one. First up is researching Atomic Research (1940), Reactors (1943), and finally Nuclear Weapons (1945). To actually produce nuclear bombs you need to construct Reactors which will slowly churn out the weapons. The more reactors the faster you can produce nukes (note that reactors compete for space with industry in states). Many majors have national focuses that let them focus on the nuclear research program and speed things up.

m1LceZy.jpg

To launch a nuke you need to have strategic bombers in range of the target and air superiority.

This is early days yet, so nukes, while incredibly powerful are not the massive world destroyers of the cold war. However they can still do serious damage, and other effects:
  • Hits national unity making the target nation more likely to surrender (amount depends on victory point worth and infrastructure level, so you cant just nuke some island they don't care about). This is really their primary use: to force surrender on a stubborn enemy.
  • Damages building. Everything from forts to naval bases to factories.
  • Damages any units in the province, including airplanes stationed in bases.

Qh4X2b8.jpg

Oh btw, in case someone missed the announcement HOI4 now has a release date set for 6th of June!
Next week we will be off for Easter, but the week after we taking a look at the Generic Focus tree that all non-majors use. If you get the HOI craving next week there is still the World War Wednesday stream where I believe Daniel and Jake have started to take on China as Japan.

Last edited:
Reactions:
First! And lovely choice of target for that particular atomic deployment, I must say. Well done! :cool:

By the way, notice that Britain is a fascist nation under Edward VIII.

Reactions:
Reactions:
In former HOI games, the nuclear research was fairly heavy with multiple levels required. I assume the "Nuclear research" tech takes quite a while? Just seems a little easy, but I am probably wrong :)

Reactions:
What are the Belgians doing in Norway? :p

Reactions:
What was up with the whole "a nation united against an atom divided" event and Spain's national unity increasing after Madrid was leveled in the last WWW? is that still in the game?

Reactions:
What was up with the whole "a nation united against an atom divided" event and Spain's national unity increasing after Madrid was leveled in the last WWW? is that still in the game?
no clue. the WWW version was like over a month old last I checked so all sorts of bugs might have been there. NU drops now anyway.

That particular event was a special nuke news event (we got a bunch of them for specific cities)

Reactions:
Why is Edward VIII head of government, when George VI has previously been shown as head of state? (and thus without a political portrait)

Kings do not tend to rule fascist states. Would Mosley or another B.U.F. political not be a better head of government?

EDIT: Also, can nukes be launched from rockets such as the V-2?

Reactions:
Why is Edward VIII head of government, when George VI has previously been shown as head of state? (and thus without a political portrait)

Kings do not tend to rule fascist states. Would Mosley or another B.U.F. political not be a better head of government?

There is an event series that can happen after a fascist takeover where the rightful king can return and take over from Mosley ;)

Reactions:
Offcourse the surströmming cult had to choose Norway for showing off the nuclear aspects of the game, offcourse

Reactions:
Would be nice if there could be some random events that happen while you research the nuclear bomb that sets you back a bit. Like the german lab exploding and throwing them back way behind the USA in the nuclear race. That wouldnt make it too predictable to as when you can expect for the first nuclear bombs to be produced, atleast in multiplayer.

Reactions:
What is the propensity of the AI to go for the nukes? Will they always try to reach that goal? Or will it be random?
I think in general only nations with focus trees mentioning it will specifically prioritize it above other things. Others are likely to focus on general equipment and other techs primarily.

Reactions:
There is an event series that can happen after a fascist takeover where the rightful king can return and take over from Mosley ;)
That's interesting, thanks for the info.

I still think it's a shame that only one political party is shown for each democratic 'slot' though; i.e. you do not have the Labour party in Britain, or the Republican party in the USA (IIRC). TBH, given that you are simply representing political factions rather than individual parties, it may actually be better to remove the country-specific party names.

Hopefully there is a choice between Mosley and Edward VIII anyway. I doubt he would just step aside...

Reactions:
That's interesting, thanks for the info.

I still think it's a shame that only one political party is shown for each democratic 'slot' though; i.e. you do not have the Labour party in Britain, or the Republican party in the USA (IIRC). TBH, given that you are simply representing political factions rather than individual parties, it may actually be better to remove the country-specific party names.

Hopefully there is a choice between Mosley and Edward VIII anyway. I doubt he would just step aside...
its up to the player to invite him back.

Reactions: