Hearts of Iron IV - 49th Development Diary - 18th of March 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Atomic bomb testing and testing sites. Say that you have made the first bomb. Since the game eventually becomes a-historical, if only slightly, the a-bomb might be different. The option to test the bomb could be a thing. Going ahead and dropping the first prototype could lead to unsatisfactory results, such as a dud. Is it possible that an a-bomb would have had a different explosion had it been built differently/by a different country? Testing the a-bomb as a different country could also be an interesting factor. Where would the Germans have tested it?
Is it possible for nukes to be duds, even after a successful test? That way, the enemy could take the change to disarm and reverse engineer it.

Reactions:
o_O It is also possible to stay in a historical credible path of playing.

Although I understand having at the end the Bomb in a WW2 sort conflict could be as nice, attractive and sexy for every countries, in reality it took so much national resources and talents that only the USA could afford it.

But a 1939 Germany which won't go at war after grabing what ever's possible without kick up war, ie stopping on the Czetchosloviakia gamble, but then instead developing her economy, research talents while combined with a totalitarian state that could round up as improve at a great level her national mobilyzationship, that may be a possible do it path?

On the fringe of the historicals scenari of WW2, as HOI games allows us in an extraordinary way, I like aslo to play "what if" one's, which may look a priori highly subversive but are just life :)

Last edited:
Atomic bomb testing and testing sites. Say that you have made the first bomb. Since the game eventually becomes a-historical, if only slightly, the a-bomb might be different. The option to test the bomb could be a thing. Going ahead and dropping the first prototype could lead to unsatisfactory results, such as a dud. Is it possible that an a-bomb would have had a different explosion had it been built differently/by a different country? Testing the a-bomb as a different country could also be an interesting factor. Where would the Germans have tested it?
Is it possible for nukes to be duds, even after a successful test? That way, the enemy could take the change to disarm and reverse engineer it.

Going from hazy memory, there was a slight concern that the a-bomb test could ignite the atmosphere. Now there's an alternative result that could turn things on its head! (Not suggesting it seriously :) ).

o_O It is also possible to stay in a historical credible path of playing.

Although I understand having at the end the Bomb in a WW2 sort conflict could be as nice, attractive and sexy for every countries, in reality it took so much national resources and talents that only the USA could afford it.

But a 1939 Germany which won't go at war after grabing what ever's possible without kick up war, ie stopping on the Czetchosloviakia gamble, but then instead developing her economy, research talents while combined with a totalitarian state that could round up as improve at a great level her national mobilyzationship, that may be a possible do it path?

On the fringe of the historicals scenari of WW2, as HOI games allows us in an extraordinary way, I like aslo to play "what if" one's, which may look a priori highly subversive but are just life :)
What if Norway were to employ some of the world's brightest nuclear physics talents? Having the heavy water factory speed things up. Beating the US in the nuclear arms race in HoI as Norway is a far fetched, but funny fantasy I sometimes think about. :]

Reactions:
I think we are taking the Manhattan Project for granted here. What if the US joined later? What if they decided the project would be a waste of time and effort? Or less funding.

Getting past the benefit of hindsight for things like nuclear weapon development (and radar, and jet aircraft, and what-have-you) is pretty tricky. I can't think of anything to get around it at the moment, that didn't involve completely overhauling the approach to technology development (which, after playing Rule the Waves and seeing what they've done with Stellaris, would actually interest me as it would go some way to combating hindsight bias, as players wouldn't be able to count on having weapon X by time Y, but rather make do with the best of what their scientists could turn out - you could even have it rigged to progress historically in historical mode and be open-ended (from historical starting positions) in sandbox mode). It doesn't specifically address your issue though, but I can't think of a way of making researching nukes a bad idea for the US in a gameplay sense in a way that'd make any kind of sense.

So,can you send nukes with Rockets(V1 and V2)?

No, the bombs are too big.

I like it better this way, since if you can deliver nukes by rocket there's no way to defend against you - rushing to nukes becomes a no-brainer. At least if they're strategic-bomber-only then you have to get air superiority over the target first and there's some degree of defense against them.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ostlandet should really be changed into Østlandet. Ostlandet in Norwegian is literally 100% 'Cheese Land'. It's not even a joke D:

Same as Ostfriesland in eu4. In Norwegian, it is 'Cheese Friesland'.

Reactions:
Had a problem with my nuke. MY canada maplebacon holy crusaders where out numbered buy the dam yankies so i lured them in and nuked there ranks which started out great first 7 bombs i droped took out a good amount but my last 3 did no damage to there troops. Accidental drop 2 on the same area and the dam yanks just keeped going about 40 strong.

Ostlandet should really be changed into Østlandet. Ostlandet in Norwegian is literally 100% 'Cheese Land'. It's not even a joke D:

Same as Ostfriesland in eu4. In Norwegian, it is 'Cheese Friesland'.

and that's a bad thing...?:p i'd love to go to cheese land, then again i live in the US and i'm fairly sure Wisconsin should be renamed Ostlandet because Wisconsin IS cheese land.

and that's a bad thing...?:p i'd love to go to cheese land, then again i live in the US and i'm fairly sure Wisconsin should be renamed Ostlandet because Wisconsin IS cheese land.
Well... Isn´t that Switzerland ;-) I agree, that Ostlandet is a bad way of reading it for any scandinavian, but perhaps it´s a PDX jab at their neighbour :p

Well... Isn´t that Switzerland ;-) I agree, that Ostlandet is a bad way of reading it for any scandinavian, but perhaps it´s a PDX jab at their neighbour :p

well Norwegians are like less cool Swedes... but still better then Denmark amirite?:p though in seriousness no Scandinavian nation surpasses Gotland the mighty. bu that's only because Jan Mayen has no permanant human population.

Reactions:
This new bit about nukes should be posted under a new thread in the bug report thread with a save or in the main forum as a question about nuke usage.

Forum rules prohibit thread necromancy and moderators will use harsh language at you.

well Norwegians are like less cool Swedes... but still better then Denmark amirite?:p though in seriousness no Scandinavian nation surpasses Gotland the mighty. bu that's only because Jan Mayen has no permanant human population.
I can agree on Jan Mayen at least ;-) Besides... We can drink easily and to affordable prices, not like the other "so-called" vikings :p

Reactions: