Hearts of Iron IV - 44th Development Diary - 12th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While I won't miss the constant "whack-a-mole" annoyance, it's a bit of a drastic change to go to NO Partisans at all. In my humble opinion (or not-so-humble, depending on whose propaganda you believe: mine or theirs), partisans should never spawn in areas with low revolt risk or dissent, but neglecting the area for too long and allowing it to build up SHOULD result in a chance of an uprising. A few areas which were ignored or under-garrisoned historically (such as in the Balkans region) DID erupt into open revolt, and even a few of the densely populated cities did so when conditions looked favorable enough, despite their Axis garrisons.

In other words, it should be fairly easy to prevent an open revolt, if you're willing to pay that modest price (a bit less modest in more valuable provinces), but MUCH harder to reduce sabotage, work slowdowns, spying for the enemy, smuggling of weapons, and other covert forms of resistance. Failure to pay that price should have dire consequences, not just a few output penalties. The problem with HOI3 was that partisan spawns would frequently happen without warning even in places with low Revolt Risk.

Reactions:
Wait a minute, let me get this straight: there is no resistance at all in countries that have been annexed and aren't a part of any faction? So Czechoslovakia for example, won't have any resistance (even though there was quite a bit historically)? Or say if Hungary invades and annexes Romania and Romania isn't a part of any faction, there'll be no resistance? Or even more ridiculous, if you successfully defeat the USSR as Germany and completely annex them, there'll be no resistance?

Because that makes no sense whatsoever, both from a realism/historical perspective and a gameplay perspective. I really hope you change this before release, I cant see any reason for it to be this way.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Wait a minute, let me get this straight: there is no resistance at all in countries that have been annexed and aren't a part of any faction? So Czechoslovakia for example, won't have any resistance (even though there was quite a bit historically)? Or say if Hungary invades and annexes Romania and Romania isn't a part of any faction, there'll be no resistance?

Because that makes no sense whatsoever, both from a realism/historical perspective and a gameplay perspective. I really hope you change this before release, I cant see any reason for it to be this way.

Or we could, you know, add an Option for those that think its rubbish, and an Option for Realism Junkies.

Reactions:
I don't understand what you mean.

Hearts of Iron III had an Option for Supply Lines or Arcade, why can't you add a setting for Partisans that Spawn and Partisans that do not spawn?

Its perfectly simple, and it makes it possible to make both sides happy.

I Personally don't like the Idea of Partisans that spawn and move around as that is the only aspect of HOI III that made me sick in the mouth, while others may think differently.

Reactions:
Hearts of Iron III had an Option for Supply Lines or Arcade, why can't you add a setting for Partisans that Spawn and Partisans that do not spawn?

I Personally don't like the Idea of Partisans that spawn and move around as that is the only aspect of HOI III that made me sick in the mouth, while others may think differently.
I wasn't talking about whether partisans should spawn or not though, i was talking about there being no resistance in annexed territory.

Reactions:
Oh, i am sorry, i thought you were talking about resistance in the Form of Partisans.

My Apologies.
Don't worry, its not a bad idea though and I do agree with you, it's just that wasn't what my post was about. I think both sides can agree no resistance in annexed territory is silly.

"Alright resistance HQ, I've set the charges on the factory."

"Sorry resistance cell 14, wars over so we better just give up now, throw all our explosives and weapons away, and all learn German."

Reactions:

You cant make games in this way, or you end up making 10 games. You pick the one you want to have.

Reactions:
Finally no Whack-a-Mole anymore. :) I always wished for a system like this, as single militia brigades popping up just to be wiped out directly afterwards is highly unrealistic.

Although it would be nice to see some really harsh consequences if the resistance value grows too high.

Reactions:
Finally no Whack-a-Mole anymore. :) I always wished for a system like this, as single militia brigades popping up just to be wiped out directly afterwards is highly unrealistic.

Although it would be nice to see some really harsh consequences if the resistance value grows too high.

If initial launch of HOI4 is a success, we're bound to see DLC expanding on this. Uprisings, however, basically took years to prepare and were a one-shot deal, so I'm glad not to see partisans rising up every month and getting stomped down, and if uprisings are implemented, they should take years to happen and require a significant investment, either from a government-in-exile, or form a foreign sponsor.

So Czechoslovakia for example, won't have any resistance (even though there was quite a bit historically)?

Was there? There was the assassination of Heydrich, and the uprising in Prague at the end of the war, but not much else that I am aware of - was there much more?

Last edited:
Reactions:
If initial launch of HOI4 is a success, we're bound to see DLC expanding on this. Uprisings, however, basically took years to prepare and were a one-shot deal, so I'm glad not to see partisans rising up every month and getting stomped down, and if uprisings are implemented, they should take years to happen and require a significant investment, either from a government-in-exile, or form a foreign sponsor.

I agree - some kind of spy action to supply partisans with equipment to increase their growth and the ability to call for an open rebellion in the fitting moment - That would be great. Not dealing with resistance could be very risky if this would be possible. Just imagine a landing of enemy troops while in the provinces further inland partisans now take over the control, cutting the supply lanes and preventing a retreat.

Reactions:
Population has no effect, but resistance flows outwards from victory points generally and get stronger from big VPs. So it works quite well in combination with defending occupied VPs to station troops there to reduce resistance.

This is smart cause more population doesn't necessarily mean higher resistance, case in point would be higher pop areas of India/Burma, or Indonesia.

Could you change the wrench for the military factories for like a rifle or something? Not initiative currently! Love the devs and you guys are awesome!

Reactions:
I'm assuming then that this won't result in the best idea being the chess-board pattern of suppression divisions across the map ala HoI2, correct? I don't want to exchange one bad system for another, or a system that's so simple that it's just a matter of counting up the VP provinces and stuffing them full of such divisions.

Was there? There was the assassination of Heydrich, and the uprising in Prague at the end of the war, but not much else that I am aware of - was there much more?
There isn't a lot of information on the resistance in Czechslovakia, probably down to the fact that they received little support and were basically surrounded by the German homeland.

Even ignoring this example, does it really make any sense that, as another example, let's say Germany defeats the USSR and totally annexes them, there will be no resistance at all? That just seems a little broken in my opinion.

Last edited:
Good to see the game coming along :)

On occupation/partisans:
1. Will there be governments in exile? And if yes what will they be able to do - especially on resistance movement and post-war ideological partitions?
2. Will the owner of occupied provinces or his allies be able to do anything to increase resistance in enemy-held territories? Such as supply and instructors insertion, partisan coordination etc. Also preparing your provinces that you expect to loose for resistance. USSR had a whole designated Central Staff of Partisan Movement attached to Supreme Command HQ. British have performed many ops to increase resistance in France and Czechoslovakia etc.
3. "Whack-a-mole" system may have been annoying, but what about representing the very strong battles that did happen between GER occupation forces and partisans in USSR and Yugoslavia.

Some questions I asked in DevDiary on Japan, but never got a reply:
1. Will it be possible to re-create a British-Japanese alliance (on sort of pre-Washington treaty terms)? Could be especially useful if USA goes isolationist and UK has to grab for any ally against GER (and possibly SOV).
2. Will there be a Ketsu-go type AI for JAP that will ditch all positions outside the Home Isles in preparation for a glorious defensive battle of attrition? (IRL better units of Kwantung army were moved to Home isles in preparation for Ketsu-go).
2a. More general - will AI (at least of democratic combatants) be influenced by attrition in its resolve to continue war - will it be possible for JAP to bring USA to negotiations by successful prosecution of defensive battles of attrition, will UK be amenable to separate peace if Monty's army gets annihilated on the beaches of Normandy?
3. IRL when your existing ships are penned down in harbours (like SOV Baltic Navy) or run out of fuel (like JAP) or just plain impossible to due to enemy superiority (like GER surface navy) it is possible to move your navy personnel into erzatz-infantry and remove naval guns from ships for use in heavy defensive placements (or raiway-carriage mount guns like during defense of Leningrad). Will this be modelled/included in HOI4?
4. All JAP political focuses seem to be for quite early period. Also no mention whatever of The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere (大東亞共榮圏Dai-tō-a Kyōeiken) which was quite important. Are there any decisions/focuses intended for later-game victorious JAP? Also no mention of 2-26 Incident and other such JAP events.
5. Panama canal - a logical strategic goal for JAP - will it be possible to do anything about Panama and Suez in game aside from occupation? IRL a successful bombing raid could have put quite a spanner into US naval gears.

Reactions:
As the resistance grows in an area it has several effects:
  • available supply is reduced creating bottlenecks
  • your enemies get increased intel and will be able to see more of what is going on
  • factories will suffer from sabotage and will need to be repaired
  • troops will take more attrition

This already sounds so cool... I've been waiting on a Dev Diary about how partisan resistance will manifest itself in HoI4 since HoI4 was first announced, so I'm all kinds of excited right now! A couple things I'd really like to know more about is how the resistance will be affected by, and will affect foreign support, if at all: Can foreign states at war with or hostile to the occupying power of a conquered nation assist the local resistance? If so, via which mechanics, and what effects will this assistance have? Will the presence and relative strength of a resistance movement in a given occupied country or province give any kind of combat bonuses to "allied" nations' units coming to fight the occupying forces there and liberate the territory? If so, what kind of bonuses?

Population has no effect, but resistance flows outwards from victory points generally and get stronger from big VPs. So it works quite well in combination with defending occupied VPs to station troops there to reduce resistance.

Very interesting that resistance can spread out from an area. A self-reinforcing effect.