Hearts of Iron IV - 44th Development Diary - 12th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As the resistance grows in an area it has several effects:
  • available supply is reduced creating bottlenecks
  • your enemies get increased intel and will be able to see more of what is going on
  • factories will suffer from sabotage and will need to be repaired
  • troops will take more attrition

What about Resources?
It doesn't make sense that an area is gladly handing over all their resources to the occupation if the resistance is high and the occupation has no military presence in the area.

I guess the amount of resources is tied to the occupation policies, but I think resistance could also lower it.

Reactions:
BTW - can you release puppets on occupied territory as happened historically?

Reactions:
What happens if I don’t care about the resistance at all? For instance in central France with not enough factories to justify stationing my costly troops there and without need to use supply in that area?

This is kind of to my point as well since MP are a support unit and not a main regiment, Calvary is gonna still be expensive in a sense and mostly pointless if no divisions spawn for them to whack-a-mole (Not saying I want that) so I'd rather just have a MP as a division I can create or maybe instead of Calvary have Light Infantry regiments.

Depending on impact on supply, I fear that resistance will be neglected by players. For instance, while being deep in Russia near Ural, why should I care about all that vast previously conquered land. If it doesn’t hinder my troops that are in already very bad infrastructure area, and there are not many factories justifying use of my troops there (which can be costly due to high attrition), I will probably don’t bother at all. Whack-a-mole is one thing, but big national upraising in case of neglected areas is a different thing (EU4 reduced whack-a-mole by making less but more significant uprisings).

Reactions:
This is kind of to my point as well since MP are a support unit and not a main regiment, Calvary is gonna still be expensive in a sense and mostly pointless if no divisions spawn for them to whack-a-mole (Not saying I want that) so I'd rather just have a MP as a division I can create or maybe instead of Calvary have Light Infantry regiments.

How about this kind of template for the MP division:

1x MP support battalions
2x regiments of 2x infantry battalions each

And in case an amphibious assault happening nearby, you upgrade the police division nearby to a more front line oriented template, so that it can support to contain and defeat the bridgehead.

Edit: Changed the number of MP battalions, because I have been made aware that only one type of support battalion is allowed per division. Thank you kviiri.;)

Edit2: My idea here is to have a dual role division. One role with little fighting power (to conserve equipment and manpower) that can suppress the resitance, but that can also be converted/mobilized to counter amphibious/airborne raids/assaults. Maybe it can be downsized after the assault has been repelled, so that the equipment and manpower is being pooled again. I do not know though if this is allowed in the template/division planner.

Last edited:
Question though, I mean it makes sense to have MP a support but why not just make them units instead of having to use Calvary (insert players choice of regiment) as the main force? I don't expect my cavalry as an example to do much should they get hit by invasion an invasion force or such but I would think they are more expensive to build and hence will not be useful other than anti-partisan warfare for the cost they incur. If I do have to have a regular regiment to perform such duties is it possible that I can set that template alone to not receive upgrades so as not to dwindle my supply of better equipment which would serve a greater purpose of equipping my front line divisions with equipment? I guess that's two questions ;)
People used cavalry in HOI3 because they were mobile to chase down the whack-a-mole uprisings. You can use foot Infantry, with a garrison template with a few battalions, and some MPs. If you have the ground experience points you can have two garrison templates, one for at home to protect VPs and naval bases, the other for occupation duties.

Now cavalry can be used in a more historical upgrade path. Give them some light armour and/or Art, then swap Cav battalions for Mot or Mech.

Reactions:
But big uprising in 1944 in Paris, Warsaw, and all over Yugoslavia didn't happen because the nazis were suddenly harsher (although they were when they took over the Italian-controlled areas), but because everyone would see plainly that they were losing and they had a chance to act.

Reactions:
How about this kind of template for the MP division:

1-2 MP support battalions
2 regiments of 2 infantry battalions

And in case an amphibious assault happening nearby, you upgrade the police division nearby to a more front line oriented template, so that it can support to contain and defeat the bridgehead.

Can't have more than one support company of a type in a division.

Reactions:
People used cavalry in HOI3 because they were mobile to chase down the whack-a-mole uprisings. You can use foot Infantry, with a garrison template with a few battalions, and some MPs. If you have the ground experience points you can have two garrison templates, one for at home to protect VPs and naval bases, the other for occupation duties.

Now cavalry can be used in a more historical upgrade path. Give them some light armour and/or Art, then swap Cav battalions for Mot or Mech.

Indeed, I can agree with that but it just seems expensive to have even just one Calvary/Infantry regiment in all of the provinces just to suppress Partisans unless I'm missing that it's only needed on a state level which I doubt. I mean I suppose you don't have too have them in all but I thought industry was at a state level hence any provinces within the state would require suppression to reduce losses to factories.

What happens if I don’t care about the resistance at all? For instance in central France with not enough factories to justify stationing my costly troops there and without need to use supply in that area?

then resistance will blow up all your factories in these areas and it will keep spreading outwards (one of the factors on resistance gain speed is neighbor provinces with resistance).

What about Resources?
It doesn't make sense that an area is gladly handing over all their resources to the occupation if the resistance is high and the occupation has no military presence in the area.

I guess the amount of resources is tied to the occupation policies, but I think resistance could also lower it.

oop, I totally forgot. resource extraction also scales by occupation policy so you get 30% less if you use gentle right now

Reactions:
If you don't care about the factories, just put them on the gentlest setting and don't station police units. You're not caring about the resistance or their effects either way, and at least then you can at least milk a bit of manpower out of the region. Or just give the region to someone else.

Reactions:
Is there any way for Britain to send for example equipment to help the resistance grow more powerful in France?
No there isnt, but you can send equipment as part of staging a coup/civil war which is similar I guess.

I'm not sure I'm getting this right. Could you please clarify?
Does it mean that Britain will try to stage coups in Germany as pro-partisan support?

I suppose it's ok until we get a good Partisan DLC ;)

Reactions:
Hey Benito, you like cuckoo clocks don't you?

Isn`t handling of resistance by regions creates whack a mole with divisions that have to be positioned?

Why can`t resistance regions be as large as air regions?

Why can`t military police be abstracted off the map? It wasn`t very capable of fighting anyway, so why does it have to be unit based, rather than manpower and equipment allocated to a region directly as occupation force?

Reactions:
I dont really like to see that u give away Provinces from a list rather then a map, where u can pick them.
I have the bad feeling this will ent up in endless searching which province in east russia is which :(

Reactions:
I dont really like to see that u give away Provinces from a list rather then a map, where u can pick them.
I have the bad feeling this will ent up in endless searching which province in east russia is which :(

you can both click on the map and list. If you noticed the states I picked are selected on map

Reactions:
Funny how games we don't really care about always exist on steam before they are even ready, but we can't pay money to have HOI4 right now. It's a strange system. I have been waiting for The forest to be completed for about two years now.

I eventually quite agree that some rebel units would popup at some point : If, as Germany, I managed, to, say, conquer France AND Great Britain, and I estimate at a very low level the risk of enduring an ennemy invasion in west Europe, so I let it completly free of units (ok it's stupid, but.. ;)), wouldn't some nationalist or simply patriotic people organise the liberation of the country ?

Reactions: