Hearts of Iron IV - 44th Development Diary - 12th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will resistance be lower if an area is occupied by one nation compared to another?
For example, is Austria more willing to be occupied by Germany than to be occupied by the UK? Is Canada more willing to be occupied by the United States than to be occupied by Japan?

What percentage of man power would be used of occupied countries at the gentlest policies? Also would the conscription policies also apply to the occupied territories
conscription policies apply also yes.
non-core reduced recruitable by 95% then on gentlest you can get 30% of the leftover or something like that. so its not very much. Numbers are badly in need of balancing though, but that gives you some idea

Why does France still have a claim on those territories then? I thought "France" would not exist anymore? Also, when liberating French territory, would the land go to the Brits or to the French?
this way Britain can recreate france if they want I think.

Reactions:
Great work across the board. Will governments-in-exile will be able to control their resistance movements?

Reactions:
Looks cool. On the one hand I kinda liked the HoI3 system of building partisan cells and dropping them into enemy occupied territory and then strategically activating them. Of course on the other hand I did hate the wack-a-mole you had to play as an Axis power.

Anyway the new implementation does look impactful without much busy work so I like that. :)

Reactions:
It would be nice if high-resistance areas spawned partisans if left alone for too long - but maybe not in the old "a wild division appeared!" fashion. Perhaps there could be a coordinated rising of partisan forces across the region - historically there was a wave of these across Europe in 1944 once it was clear the Nazis were going to lose, of which the Warsaw uprising is the most famous.

Reactions:
So, since Czechoslovakia is event annexed it doesn't get resistance? I mean, that's kind of weird considering real life events. I mean the Heydrich assassination and the Nazi reaction is quite a great example that there was in fact a resistance in german occupied Czechoslovakia...

Reactions:
Thank the Stars and the Heavens no more bloody Whack-a-mole, I do think it could be somewhat contained similar to what is proposed for HOI4 resistance by setting up a theater HQ on AI control but it was out of hand at times.

Question though, I mean it makes sense to have MP a support but why not just make them units instead of having to use Calvary (insert players choice of regiment) as the main force? I don't expect my cavalry as an example to do much should they get hit by invasion an invasion force or such but I would think they are more expensive to build and hence will not be useful other than anti-partisan warfare for the cost they incur. If I do have to have a regular regiment to perform such duties is it possible that I can set that template alone to not receive upgrades so as not to dwindle my supply of better equipment which would serve a greater purpose of equipping my front line divisions with equipment? I guess that's two questions ;)

Reactions:
Will there be anything to give additional penalties to Fascist states that occupy territory? Anything to model ideological resistance? Is there any "collaboration" mechanic ingame?

Reactions:
Will there be anything to give additional penalties to Fascist states that occupy territory? Anything to model ideological resistance? Is there any "collaboration" mechanic ingame?
no, we model that by the occupation policies, so if you want to be a bad person and more resistance you pick harsher policies.

Reactions:
It look to me that right now you should always go with the harsh law. If 1/20*3/10 = 3/200 is the max amount of manpower you can get from non cores while you seems to get a much bigger share of factories and resources from non core.

You can use the extra production from harsh law to counter resistance while also have big leftover for new conquest.

Why does France still have a claim on those territories then? I thought "France" would not exist anymore? Also, when liberating French territory, would the land go to the Brits or to the French?
These are my 2 cents...
I assume that if the territory will be liberated, the Brits will get control. But if the UK (being the French/British Union) will experience a civil war event later on, the territory might start with the French faction of the civil war.

Reactions:
What happens if I don’t care about the resistance at all? For instance in central France with not enough factories to justify stationing my costly troops there and without need to use supply in that area?

Looks great. Gives major issues if not taken care of (attrition, supply, sabotage) yet no crazy partisan divisions running wild all over the place making your AI pull 50 divisions from the front to take care of them....... Simply wonderful.

Very nice work Paradox!

Reactions:
Great to hear there's no whack-a-mole.

I guess resistance is a prime candidate for expansion in a following DLC, since it would be great to have a system to model the (one-shot, years of preparation) uprisings that did occur historically.

I get that MP are being used as the "anti-resistance troops" for gameplay reasons, but it has to be said that they historically had no expertise in CO-IN fighting nor were they historically especially used for this purpose as it isn't a task they're suitable for.

I guess the nearest you'd get to historical CO-IN troops is the various puppet Gendarmeries that were raised - but these were basically just poor light infantry who weren't useful for any other purpose. I guess organisations of particularly high political loyalty (e.g., the NKVD) is another example.

Reactions:
IEe6SJd.jpg
Putting someone to the sword is hardly gentler than shooting them with pistols IMHO:p

Something like fist-baton-revolver-SMG/shotgun would be great for graphically obvious tiers that are all weapon themed.

Reactions:
What happens if I don’t care about the resistance at all? For instance in central France with not enough factories to justify stationing my costly troops there and without need to use supply in that area?

This is kind of to my point as well since MP are a support unit and not a main regiment, Calvary is gonna still be expensive in a sense and mostly pointless if no divisions spawn for them to whack-a-mole (Not saying I want that) so I'd rather just have a MP as a division I can create or maybe instead of Calvary have Light Infantry regiments.