Hearts of Iron IV - 44th Development Diary - 12th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Hello everyone! This weeks topic will be the side effects of war: Occupation and Resistance.

Resistance
The main goal of modeling local resistance in HOI4 is to remove whack-a-mole of rebels running around and to model the strategic problems with occupying large chunks of enemy territory.

NOl6MMN.jpg

Each occupied state you control has a resistance value indicating the strength of the resistance there. It will slowly grow over time. To reduce or halt growth you need to station troops in the area (preferably special divisions with military police support battalions which are very effective for this) or lower your occupation policy for the nation in question.

As the resistance grows in an area it has several effects:
  • available supply is reduced creating bottlenecks
  • your enemies get increased intel and will be able to see more of what is going on
  • factories will suffer from sabotage and will need to be repaired
  • troops will take more attrition
So it's important to station troops to combat this, but of course that ties up valuable divisions you might want to use to fight the enemy. You can also appoint ministers with the Prince of Terror trait which will help to combat resistance growth in your occupied areas.

Occupation policies
You can set occupation policies for each nation you occupy. They range from Gentlest to Harshest, where harshest has the most aggressive resistance growth but lets you exploit the most

Gentlest:
- least factories
- local resources
- least resources
+ most manpower
+ less resistance growth

Harshest:
+ most resources
+ most factory output
+ most resources
- no manpower
- fastest resistance growth

IEe6SJd.jpg

Handing over occupation
Unlike say EU4 or some of our other games, in Hearts of Iron a lot of the map tends to be occupied for most of the game rather than a short period, so it is important to be able to control the occupation during playing. To help with this we have included diplomatic actions where you can select states you occupy on the map and offer the occupation to an ally. This doesn't give them more score for a future peace conference, but it does give them the benefits of the area (industry, resources etc). AI will be quite happy to hand you stuff if you are doing the heavy lifting in the war as well and you can hand over areas you don't have troops to manage, or simply don't care about.

tcVgo2U.jpg

See you all next week again when we will be talking about battle plans!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Nice DD. Is it possible that resistant could steal some equipment and help the liberating army with some extra equipment when liberated or give manpower or units? No partisans, but something to help when real army arrives.

And sorry about the first spam.

Last edited:
Reactions:
can the 'gifting' of states to allies also work to create 'puppets' like vichy-france in other places ( i think i read some where that vichy-france is a seperate solution)

also very happy that i dont have to chase partisans anymore :)

Reactions:
Can the game exactly tell how much we would gain or lose from switching occupation law. Like switching to harsh law will give 5 extra factories and -100 manpower per month?

Are there any point in annexing nations if you lose control over what occupation policy you will use?

Reactions:
Really like the part with enemy intel on occupied provinces with rebels! This gives more an extra litlle incentive to give support to rebels so military knowledge prior to invasion is better

Reactions:
Thank so for another great DD, love the ability to manipulate control of occupied territory!
So, how does resistance work from the point of view of those who are resisting? I didn't see any new information here on this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thanks for the DD.

So if I attack say Switzerland as Germany from my ally Italy's borders, Italy will give me back the territory that Italy initially gets when pushing into Switzerland?

Reactions:
That's great news about the global handling and vision of the problematic.

About "offer the occupation to an ally", I'm a bit concerned : Is it realistic to give this occupation for years and then neglect totally the weight of some annexion-or-something wishes from this ally at peace conference ? And what if, say as Germany, I give France occupation to Japan ??! :confused: Isn't there a bit too much of freedom here ? What are the historic actual examples that I fail to make pop up in my mind ?

Reactions:
The main goal of modeling local resistance in HOI4 is to remove whack-a-mole of rebels running around
Thanks a lot. I feared for something on an annoyane scale of eu IV disturbance to vic 2 horror...

Do troops or military police only slow or halt the resistance progression or are there effective ways of reducing it? If not, why should I bother with Provinces at 100%, these would basically be lost now, wouldn't they?

Reactions:
So what is the worst case of a region /province in case of resistance?

100% supply loss? 100% loss of industry? changeover of province to original owner?
So uprising in form of a upcoming Division is completely gone?

Reactions: