Hearts of Iron IV - 44th Development Diary - 12th of February 2016

Hearts of Iron IV - 44th Development Diary - 12th of February 2016

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Hello everyone! This weeks topic will be the side effects of war: Occupation and Resistance.

Resistance
The main goal of modeling local resistance in HOI4 is to remove whack-a-mole of rebels running around and to model the strategic problems with occupying large chunks of enemy territory.

NOl6MMN.jpg

Each occupied state you control has a resistance value indicating the strength of the resistance there. It will slowly grow over time. To reduce or halt growth you need to station troops in the area (preferably special divisions with military police support battalions which are very effective for this) or lower your occupation policy for the nation in question.

As the resistance grows in an area it has several effects:
  • available supply is reduced creating bottlenecks
  • your enemies get increased intel and will be able to see more of what is going on
  • factories will suffer from sabotage and will need to be repaired
  • troops will take more attrition
So it's important to station troops to combat this, but of course that ties up valuable divisions you might want to use to fight the enemy. You can also appoint ministers with the Prince of Terror trait which will help to combat resistance growth in your occupied areas.

Occupation policies
You can set occupation policies for each nation you occupy. They range from Gentlest to Harshest, where harshest has the most aggressive resistance growth but lets you exploit the most

Gentlest:
- least factories
- local resources
- least resources
+ most manpower
+ less resistance growth

Harshest:
+ most resources
+ most factory output
+ most resources
- no manpower
- fastest resistance growth

IEe6SJd.jpg

Handing over occupation
Unlike say EU4 or some of our other games, in Hearts of Iron a lot of the map tends to be occupied for most of the game rather than a short period, so it is important to be able to control the occupation during playing. To help with this we have included diplomatic actions where you can select states you occupy on the map and offer the occupation to an ally. This doesn't give them more score for a future peace conference, but it does give them the benefits of the area (industry, resources etc). AI will be quite happy to hand you stuff if you are doing the heavy lifting in the war as well and you can hand over areas you don't have troops to manage, or simply don't care about.

tcVgo2U.jpg

See you all next week again when we will be talking about battle plans!

Last edited:
Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Are there any point in annexing nations if you lose control over what occupation policy you will use?
Sooo... do resistance dissapear after you take the land in a peace deal or do they want to return to their original country?

After a peace deal the land is no longer occupied, so in say 1948 when you carve up europe and defeat the other side you will not get a polish resistance anymore. Non-core territory still doesnt give the same perks as fully yours but it wont cause any trouble for you.

Thanks for the DD.

So if I attack say Switzerland as Germany from my ally Italy's borders, Italy will give me back the territory that Italy initially gets when pushing into Switzerland?

Yes, or you can ask for it.

That's great news about the global handling and vision of the problematic.

About "offer the occupation to an ally", I'm a bit concerned : Is it realistic to give this occupation for years and then neglect totally the weight of some annexion-or-something wishes from this ally at peace conference ? And what if, say as Germany, I give France occupation to Japan ??! :confused: Isn't there a bit too much of freedom here ? What are the historic actual examples that I fail to make pop up in my mind ?

The main point of this feature is to reduce border gore to be honest, as well as being able to spread responsibility with allies. If you dont have this stuff will end up looking quite bad border wise and this allows player to do something about it afterwards.

Thanks a lot. I feared for something on an annoyane scale of eu IV disturbance to vic 2 horror...

Do troops or military police only slow or halt the resistance progression or are there effective ways of reducing it? If not, why should I bother with Provinces at 100%, these would basically be lost now, wouldn't they?

If you have enough MP or troops etc the resistance will tick down and go to 0. So yeah you'll want that.

Is there any way for Britain to send for example equipment to help the resistance grow more powerful in France?

No there isnt, but you can send equipment as part of staging a coup/civil war which is similar I guess.

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Does the population of a state have an effect on resistance? For instance, does it take more troops to suppress resistance in a high-population state than in a state with almost no population?

Population has no effect, but resistance flows outwards from victory points generally and get stronger from big VPs. So it works quite well in combination with defending occupied VPs to station troops there to reduce resistance.

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
I might be misunderstanding the UI, but why does France only have a Claim on Centre while the UK and Germany are the "owners"?

Its from WWW save where Franco-British Union have triggered so all of france is now owned by Britain

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
What percentage of man power would be used of occupied countries at the gentlest policies? Also would the conscription policies also apply to the occupied territories
conscription policies apply also yes.
non-core reduced recruitable by 95% then on gentlest you can get 30% of the leftover or something like that. so its not very much. Numbers are badly in need of balancing though, but that gives you some idea

Why does France still have a claim on those territories then? I thought "France" would not exist anymore? Also, when liberating French territory, would the land go to the Brits or to the French?
this way Britain can recreate france if they want I think.

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Will there be anything to give additional penalties to Fascist states that occupy territory? Anything to model ideological resistance? Is there any "collaboration" mechanic ingame?
no, we model that by the occupation policies, so if you want to be a bad person and more resistance you pick harsher policies.

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
What happens if I don’t care about the resistance at all? For instance in central France with not enough factories to justify stationing my costly troops there and without need to use supply in that area?

then resistance will blow up all your factories in these areas and it will keep spreading outwards (one of the factors on resistance gain speed is neighbor provinces with resistance).

What about Resources?
It doesn't make sense that an area is gladly handing over all their resources to the occupation if the resistance is high and the occupation has no military presence in the area.

I guess the amount of resources is tied to the occupation policies, but I think resistance could also lower it.

oop, I totally forgot. resource extraction also scales by occupation policy so you get 30% less if you use gentle right now

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
I dont really like to see that u give away Provinces from a list rather then a map, where u can pick them.
I have the bad feeling this will ent up in endless searching which province in east russia is which :(

you can both click on the map and list. If you noticed the states I picked are selected on map

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Hearts of Iron III had an Option for Supply Lines or Arcade, why can't you add a setting for Partisans that Spawn and Partisans that do not spawn?

Its perfectly simple, and it makes it possible to make both sides happy.

I Personally don't like the Idea of Partisans that spawn and move around as that is the only aspect of HOI III that made me sick in the mouth, while others may think differently.

You cant make games in this way, or you end up making 10 games. You pick the one you want to have.

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Any thought given to anti-resistance force also radiating outwards, so a strongly garrisoned region that was pushing down resistance there might have some impact on a neighbouring region? Just a thought.

Since resistance grows from cities/VP areas garrisoning these with MP will effecitvely make the resistance reduction flow outwards as you mentioned

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
I wonder if you can give land/provinces to a non aligned faction member? For example: can Daniel (in WWW) give land to Romania when the USSR surrenders, hopefully that will boost friendly relations from Romania and they would join the Axis. I would think one can give land to a nation as long as that state is not in a faction already. Like it would be too late to give Correlia back to Finland.
yes you can use your own peace score to hand things to people who fought on your side

Reactions: