Hearts of Iron IV - 43rd Development Diary - 5th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
... Democracies are limited in that they can't justify war goals against someone who has generated no world tension....
Very interesting information. Does this mean the hard rule against democracies declaring war on other democracies is gone? If one democracy has generated world tension, another democracy can justify a war goal against them?
I'd definitely like a deeper diplomatic system that allowed for military coordination and explicit horse-trading - if you do x, I'll do y - rather than just generic "relations" values that can be generically "improved." I know that can be extremely hard to program and balance, but it would be really fun.

Reactions:
Congratulations to the entire team for Beta version.

Could this be a good time to start again the WWW to 1936 or, at least, from 1939 ? And use more diplomatic options than it used to be ;) ?

Reactions:
Podcat will you make a whole thread about what this beta submission means for the game

Reactions:
hopefully their will be a bit more cost or requirements to slap a guarantee on someone besides just WT and some Political points such as how close they are to your faction or ideology say?
I am not entirely sure, but I think to guarantee the SU in WWW cost something like 1000 political power. Have to look again.

And yeah, Beta approved. :D:D:D Looks like the goal is in sight. In a manner of speaking. ;)

Reactions:
Then finally I am happy to let you know that our Beta submission was approved yesterday, so we are now officially in Beta. I can't give you any release dates yet, but this is one of the last big steps to nailing one down and saying that the project is on course.

Anyway, we have been working on HOI4 for a long time so you can imagine that this feels really great, and we plan to celebrate with beers and cigars tonight as is appropriate :)

Congratulations :)

Meant to add I think it's pretty Awesome Italy is the Tutorial nation AND you can continue to play it after the tutorial is done which is awesome, I hate when you put work into Tutorials and they end after the time you spent in them.

Reactions:
BETA!!!! BETA!!!! BETA!!!! Congrats @podcat and the dev team. My previous offer for a bottle of Tennessee whiskey in exchange for beta access still stands but I'm willing to trade for the final version also ;). I prefer George Dickel but I can understand if your partial to Jack Daniels.

Reactions:
Nice!! Nothing stops the hype train now! CHUU CHUU!

Reactions:
Non-aggression pact
A non aggression pact between you and another nation will stop you both from declaring wars. When first enacted you have 12 months where it can not be broken. After that it can be broken if they have a lot fewer units than you on your mutual border. The exact amount of troops required to ensure it's not breakable will get progressively smaller to break over time.

To be honest, this is something needed in all of your games.
I miss this so much in EU4.

Then finally I am happy to let you know that our Beta submission was approved yesterday, so we are now officially in Beta. I can't give you any release dates yet, but this is one of the last big steps to nailing one down and saying that the project is on course.

Anyway, we have been working on HOI4 for a long time so you can imagine that this feels really great, and we plan to celebrate with beers and cigars tonight as is appropriate :)

Congratulations! This should mean a 2016 release then :)
I'm happy for you, you have clearly put a lot of work and passion in this.

Reactions:
Great diary, and congrats on the Beta!

I fully expect that the debug console command will summonnthe dog to the bottom of my screen. Just sayin'. ;)

Reactions:
Is it possible for countries to change factions? Like Britain joining The Northern Lights for example?

Also if a coup is successful, does the name and flag of the country change? Like the United States of America becoming the Peoples Republic of America if Communists take over.

Last edited:
I had the feel that today you would announce the Beta, glad that I'm right! So, if there aren't any problems, HoI4 should be available in 3-6 months?

Reactions:
thought you were a highland malt man Dan.