Hearts of Iron IV - 40th Development Diary - 15th of January 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Welcome to another development diary for Hearts of Iron IV. This week we look at some of the changes that has been done to the game lately.

In december, we completely revised how you get factory slots in the game, as the previous system of three different caps, depending on hidden formulas for manpower & infrastructure was too obtuse for players, and impossible to balance.

aUmUoqU.jpg

Now the system is much more clear. Each state is set to a regiontype, which defines the basic amount of factory slots it has. Then we have various national focuses which will add to the cap of factory slots in a state, and finally there are various techs that give percentage bonus to how many factories a state can have.

Code:
Megalopolis Region        12
Metropolis Region         10
Dense Urban Region         8
Urban Region               6
Sparse Urban Region        5
Developed Rural Region     4
Rural Region               2
Pastoral Region            1
Enclave                    0
Tiny Island                0
Wasteland                  0

Some examples: Svealand is an urban region, Amazonas a wasteland, and Greater London Area is a Megalopolis Region. Gibraltar is an enclave, and Gotland is a small island.

We also changed the State mapmode to colorise the states depending on which regions they belong to.

YJc31hq.jpg

World Tension was introduced back in the 16th development diary. It was then just a number in the topbar, with a clunky tooltip explaining it. Now it has a graphical indication as well, and opens up a detailed window, where you can view all active impacts on World Tension, and sort them.

JLpQvQ5.jpg

Next week, we’ll talk about command groups and also about leader traits.

Reactions:
Thanks! This definitely satisfied my needs :)

One question: Will, for example Malta, still count as an enclave if it is conquered and maybe annexed by Spain or will there be a way to change region types?

Edit: Question

Last edited:
Reactions:
Great DD Johan! I just have a quick question though. Why is Gotland considered a tiny/small island? I can understand the islands in the pacific having no industry for obvious reasons. But why is Gotland considered so? It is 3200 km2 and has factories on it (concrete production I believe). So by this math what will Madagascar, Tasmania, parts of New Zealand and other various smaller islands count as?

Reactions:
Love the region types. Will "distant overseas" (or something similar) have an effect on factory output? It would be kind of gamey if GB could build a bunch of industry in India and have all its production magically appear back home.

Reactions:
14% for declaring war on Albania, 2,3% for annexing Czechoslovakia seems a bit... unbalanced
its a diplomatic annexation though through events that nobody saw fit to step in and stop.

Reactions:
This seems like a better system I can see why you changed it.

I like your outlook of making sure it's not some abstract thing the player can't figure out.

Good luck with the game, I'm excited to see the war start on Wednesday!

Reactions:
14% for declaring war on Albania, 2,3% for annexing Czechoslovakia seems a bit... unbalanced

How so? Annexing the Czechs is a non military move all done in somewhat peaceful talks. Declaring war is well... War.

Edit: podcatted

Reactions:
was too obtuse for players, and impossible to balance.

I think the word is obscure?

Anyway, this means that regions like Cairo or other megalopolis in Asia will be as productive as London?
At least at start, before the bonuses.

Reactions:
Love the region types. Will "distant overseas" (or something similar) have an effect on factory output? It would be kind of gamey if GB could build a bunch of industry in India and have all its production magically appear back home.
india is a puppet though, so you do not have full control. Also a lot of india is Developer Rural, or Rural

Reactions:
Thanks! This definitely satisfied my needs :)

One question: Will for example Malta still count as an enclave if it is conquered and maybe annexed by Spain or will ther e be a way to change region types?

Edit: Question
This.

Also, can you somehow improve regions e.g. from
Rural Region to Developed Rural or Sparse Urban?

This.

Also, can you somehow improve regions e.g. from
Rural Region to Developed Rural or Sparse Urban?

you can take focuses to improve areas (gives them more factory slots), but the type doesnt change.

Reactions:
hm... a couple questions:
#1 Do the max factories modifier affect the "bonus" factories from national focuses, or "just" the ones from regiontype?
#2 Are the factories still limited by infrastructure, or has that gone the way of the Dodo? ...are there any other limitations of which we should be aware?
#3 Am I the only one who thinks enclaves and small islands ought to be "buffed" to one factory? It'd help give them some basic strategic value, without really affecting balance(since it's still a really small number), and places such as Gibraltar or Gotland SHOULD be desirable(though I guess changing Gotland to Pastoral would make quite a lot of sense, too...).

Likin' what I see, keep up the good work! :D

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think the word is obscure?

not in english.

obtuse = difficult to comprehend : not clear or precise in thought or expression
obscure = not readily understood or clearly expressed

Reactions: