Hearts of Iron IV - 37th Development Diary - 11th of December 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello and welcome to the 37th Hearts of Iron IV Development Diary. We’re crunching like mad, to make a new beta-submission on monday. Today I want to show a little bit about carrier warfare in our game.

The Aircraft carrier is a floating airbase. So each carrier functions as a small airbase and can base naval versions of small aircraft (no strategic bombers, sorry Doolittle). You can have fighters, naval bombers and close air support aircraft. Close air support aircraft fulfil a dual role as both a Naval dive bomber and a land based dive bomber so you can use your carrier fleets to hit the enemy and on a ground support role for troops close to land.

When you construct your carriers, you can easily set up its airwings composition, and you can also assign larger airwings to a carrier than it can take, reducing its effectivity.

wLQHHwA.jpg

You can spend navy xp, to make special variants, as we have mentioned earlier. Where carriers have the possibility to increase reliability, armor, engine and decksize.

NPu2wO7.jpg

As with land based airbases you can choose the blend of aircraft you want to put on your carriers. This in part depends on what aircraft you happen to have on hand but also what role you carriers are filling and your strategic situation. The air war is going well, maybe you can reduce the number of fighters and increase the amount of bombers (or vice versa). Maybe you have control of the seas and are looking to some naval landing, then less naval bombers and a few more CAS are the answer.

90RGMbO.jpg

Have fun!

Reactions:
Japanese carriers! So excited!
FOR THE EMPROAH

This might sound like an odd question, but will you release cosmetic packs for units of different nations similar to Eu4?

Reactions:
30 planes on a fleet carrier ?
Isn't this complement a little bit... small ?

Reactions:
Did any close air support aircraft fly from carriers historically?

This is by no means a criticism, the question is entirely neutral and based on my own curiosity.

A new beta submission? Was your first beta submission rejected?
yes, build was a bit too slow and our tutorial wasnt complete yet

Reactions:
Oh, I thought/hoped it was meant to be a DD about submarine warfare today. Oh well. A brief bit of CV I guess makes for a bit of a 'dull' advent calendar door to open, but at least we know there will be better to come! :)

Did any close air support aircraft fly from carriers historically?

This is by no means a criticism, the question is entirely neutral and based on my own curiosity.
absolutely. here is one for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_SB2C_Helldiver

Oh, I thought/hoped it was meant to be a DD about submarine warfare today. Oh well. A brief bit of CV I guess makes for a bit of a 'dull' advent calendar door to open, but at least we know there will be better to come! :)

we are pushing that one a little bit because:
1. its big and harder to write and we are super busy atm
2. we are still tweaking that stuff and interface could be improved a little

but primarily #1 ;)

Reactions:
it looks so pretty. i wanna!

questions:
what will the fighters and bomber do if you assign the carrier to a naval strategic area..will the fly CAP`s in the some area?
and do the naval and area strategic areas overlap (are they the same)
and can you also order the planes to attack in another strategic area then where the fleet is?

Nice DD.

Questing: Is it possible to just keep increasing decksize without increasing any of the other stats?

yes, but boosting deck size will reduce armor, so unless you spend some on improving armor as you go that will be reduced.

Reactions: