Hearts of Iron IV - 34th Development Diary - 20th of November 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will there always be a civil war, when you try to stage a coup? Even if the chances to win are quite small, it would be kind of easy e.g. for Germany to weaken Britain if they stage a coup every now and then. 200 Points and some equipment seem not that much of a cost for a coup, or does the cost of Points differ for each country?

Reactions:
I hadn't noticed before, but there is a "neutral" party in addition to the three ideologies. I wonder if they'll make the Republicans in the U.S. the neutral party. It's more than a little bit of a stretch, but it'd at least make the U.S. elections matter - if the Republicans win, they'd be less likely to ally with the Allies.

Reactions:
Also wondering, do you have any big major nations with pre-planned civil wars and the locations for each uprising?
For example in case of German civil war, it would make sense for urban cities with lot of workers to side with Reds, whilst more rural areas would take the side of Whites?
Similar with Russia and USA, maybe even Britain.
Or are those provinces, of who sides with whom, chosen randomly, or according to what? Foreign investment?

Reactions:
Also: Greece seems to be divided by states, but what if the country in which the coup takes place is a one-state-country like Albania appears to be?

Reactions:
Also: Greece seems to be divided by states, but what if the country in which the coup takes place is a one-state-country like Albania appears to be?
Worse, Luxemburg! :eek:
Then Bhutan and Nepal might be weird cases too. Uruguay? Tannu Tuva?
Or Portugal with a global empire; how long would it take for rebelling factions to travel from one colony to the next? :p

edit: plus all those Central American states + Liberia.

Reactions:
Will the ai use the Stage a coup action?

I like the idea that you need to invest equipment into the coup, is the number depending on the nation so a coup against US would need many more equipment then Belgium?
The AI does not currently use the Stage Coup action.

The amount of equipment depends on the industrial capacity of the country, so a large country like the US would cost significantly more equipment to coup.

So is the way how a Nation (provinces) is divided dependend on how strong the Opposition is?

How about the Equipment? ships, divisions, planes?
Generally, the division of the country initially is related to how the civil war triggers. So if the player chooses to push through a revolution with relatively low support, the opposition will start controlling less land and less troops. The land is divided so that each side get the units on it, which is also taken into the calculation of who gets what territory.

K.
What about China, which is in constant multi-faction civil war? And those parties waging civil war then uniting against Japanese?
We concluded that China's civil war is too large, specific and complex to use this civil war system for, so it works very differently and does feature uniting against the Japanese.

Very nice!

Can a civil war have more factions than two?
No. Sometimes a faction might have large political support from different ideologies (such as the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War), but a civil war always happen between two parties at a time.

Reactions:
What better way to keep the USA distracted and unable to get too involved in international politics than foment a potential civil war with the country. Could be a very useful covert strategy for the players of Japan and Germany.

Reactions:
So, if I understand well, a coup can lead to three different results ?
A) The coup succeeds, no civil war, a friendly government is installed.
B) The coup succeeds partially, and a civil war starts.
C) The coup fails, no civil war happens and the governement doesn't change.

Am I right ?

The same range of options offered by Days of Decision what, 20 years ago? I hope so.

What better way to keep the USA distracted and unable to get too involved in international politics than foment a potential civil war with the country. Could be a very useful covert strategy for the players of Japan and Germany.
I'd imagine the US would get a casus belli if things go wrong with the coup. That would suck if keeping them neutral was your goal, lol.

Reactions:
HOI 4, depending on the features, it goes backward or forward with respect to realism/plausibility. This seems going in the "right" direction. I wonder if something like that can be implemented in HOI3.

Reactions:
Or Portugal with a global empire; how long would it take for rebelling factions to travel from one colony to the next? :p

Democrats Rise Up

After their request for a referrendum was denied, a few reformers of the democratic movement in Portugal rapidly lost influence to the more radical elements. With Salazar's refusal to acknowledge the public support for the suggested reforms, the romantic view of the revolution gradually grew more widespread and the leaders become those who could more easily start a riot. Those riots have erupted into a full-scale civil war, with the future of the nation now at stake.

Democratic units spawn in Macau and Goa.

Reactions:
In the case of the americas, the Brazilian Government will be considered fascist in game?

If Yes, the United States will also spend diplomatic power and equipment to start a civil war in Brazil by the reaffirmation of the monroe doctrine?

Reactions: