Hearts of Iron IV - 31st Development Diary - 30th of October 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ty podcat, this is an amazing new system, and the concept sounds really nice.

Some questions:
1) Does the game track LL contributions as a part of the points ex. suppose as USA I play 'factory' for the UK with massive amounts of LL before, and during the War. I could argue at the peace conference that my LL enabled the UK to do better. So will the game system let me do so? I would completely understand if they had a lower weight than territory and casualties but I feel that there should be some weight (Don't get me wrong not complaining, just hoping that this is there).

2) Does the system allow for the effect different doctrines have on casualty rates and adjust the points accordingly? As in, again, comparing SU and USA/UK; lets say both conquer the same territory but SU suffers more casualties. Could be argued that the SU suffered more because of the way it fought. Again, what's the system's interpretation of this?

3) As Germany is there a focus to remove Hitler and sue for Peace with Allies in, say, '43 by inflicting enough casualties on the Allies and/or succeeding in the Battle of the Atlantic? What's the dev team's opinion on this? I know Historically after Casablanca there was no way a conditional surrender could have occurred but I'm thinking of it in terms of a late game possibility of reversal by Germany.

Reactions:
That Yugoslavia is pretty radical man!

Reactions:
Awesome dev diary overall, but I don't understand this bit.
The conference also indicates what kind of impact it will have on world tension in the end. This may be a reason to be more restrictive about your choices. Puppeting someone might keep you under a level where the Allies still can not go in and stop you while annexing them would push you over the tension limit.
Surely by the time you're at war, tension will already be at 100%? Or is this talking about some sort of post-WW2 tension, paving the way for stuff like Operation Unthinkable?

Reactions:
This looks very good indeed! One question, in the historical war Germany made a series of separate peace treaties with the nations they defeated. How is this handled in the conference system?

Reactions:
yeah Germany has the option to go both ways. :)

Giggity ;)

Seriously though, this is awesome! HoI3 diplomacy in general was pretty bad so it's nice to see a revamp in peace conferences. I like that minors might be able to make out alright if they're on the winning side and did much to help out.

Reactions:
Podcat

How would this apply to a situation like when France falls and its colonies (lets say Southeast Asia); will they also be on the table to go to a victor?

Reactions:
Awesome dev diary overall, but I don't understand this bit.

Surely by the time you're at war, tension will already be at 100%? Or is this talking about some sort of post-WW2 tension, paving the way for stuff like Operation Unthinkable?

In this case yes, but say Japan fighting china while all is quiet elsewhere. Or Italy beating Ethiopia. Also since tension decays it can sit there opening up for Unthinkable etc.

So the peace conference in the OP happened because Germany broke all the Allied Powers, or just France?

To come to a conference you need to beat the faction's leader yeah, meanwhile countries will be occupied etc. For countries not in faction its conference right away.

Reactions:
I really feel like that distance should also affect the cost of claims. It looks kinda silly that Bulgaria gets something next to Lithuania, but maybe it is just an example showing an extreme case. I would guess that the AI wont take completly random stuff and that players can simply discuss it and organize the peace deals .

Last edited:
Reactions:
This will beautifully remedy the rather anti-climatic final victories in HoI3. It will save a lot of console use to create realistic borders. :)

Reactions:
A very important part of a game where players conduct multiple wars. I agree HoI3 was not set up for dynamic peacedeals.

Equitable peace-deals is something that's come a long way since Victoria 2, which has the worst peacedeal system of Paradox games IMO

y8stSxp.jpg

Polish occupation bordergore! Those are some silly names for Yugoslavia and Romania.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Podcat - you say causalities count towards your participation score. I take it trickle back bonuses from field hospitals has been factored in?

Also in the peace conference will there be a chance for players to examine the provinces to see resources, factories etc... that could influence selection?

Reactions:
Looks awesome Podcat :)

Question though: will there be history like presets to choose at the conference table? Like instituting Vichy France without having to manually look up all the provinces and partial puppet options?

Reactions:
Looks interesting, probably needs a bit of tweaking still.

Reactions: