Hearts of Iron IV - 3 Day War: Devs vs The Community - June 10th - 12th 18:00CEST - twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
HOI4_Stream 21_Devs_Vs_Fans_spread_16x9_01.png

Where:
When: Wednesday the 10th of June through Friday the 12th of June @18:00-20:00CEST
VOD: The streams will be available through Twitch's own VOD function, and we'll upload it to YouTube within a couple of days

Everything you need to know
Tonight at 1800-2000 will be the first session of a special kind of Three Day War: It's the Devs vs. the Hearts of Iron IV community at large, spearheaded by four content creators.

Each team will be playing entirely within one nation: Imperial Germany for the Devs, and Democratic Britain for the Community team.
We've taken the 'democratic' element literally, electing a Virtual 'House of Commons' from across the HOI community to vote on and discuss the strategy for the UK. Some actions will be decided by what the house wants, not just the four players.

Read on below to find out about what the 'Virtual House of Commons' has been up to in preparation for the event.

There will be a two-hour session of the event streamed each day from June 10th - June 12, live over on our Twitch channel.

devs.png

The Developer team is led by Kaiser Bratyn; he and his three supporting characters will be out to stop the community team in their tracks.

community.png

Playing the game for the HOI Community team is Taureor, Feedback Gaming, Mordred Viking, and PrussianPrince.

They are supported by the 'Virtual House of Commons'; an assembly of 32 people drawn from Mod communities, content creators and elected from steam and our social channels. They sat for the first time on Sunday, divided quickly into rival parties and began debating.

One of the first actions for the vHoC was to choose one of the content creators to take overall charge and become 'Prime Minister'. In a close fought battle, Taureor was victorious with support from the larger Commonwealth First Party.

parliament.png

The vHoC has since been busy debating and approving strategy, binding the hands of the players to enact their will. We'll show more of what has been happening at the start of the stream tonight.

• 7Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
"This is an open letter by the Imperial German Government to the British Parliament

The Kaiser has deemed it appropriate to bestow additional titles to the following individuals, in recognition of services rendered to the state of Germany and the Imperial Throne:
  • Sonderbeauftragter für strategische Aufklärung Engin Mercan, in recognition of his diligent pursuit of the elimination of Nazi sentiment in our glorious nation, shall henceforth be known as Sonderbeauftragter für strategische Aufklärung und Scharfrichter für Denazifizierung Engin Mercan.
  • Oberbefehlshaber der kaiserlichen Hochseeflotte Joseph Gardener, in recognition of his admirable handling of our Italian volunteers and by keen foresight having averted utter disaster in the port of Messina by the timely redeployment of our forces, shall henceforth be known as Oberbefehlshaber der kaiserlichen Hochseeflotte und Retter der Italienfront Joseph Gardener.
  • Sondergesandter für die ordnungsgemäße Durchführung des Großraumwirtschaftsplanes seiner kaiserlichen Hoheit Paul Depre, in recognition of his tireless diplomatic efforts and unwavering representation of our interests to our neighbours, shall henceforth be known as Sondergesandter für die ordnungsgemäße Durchführung des Großraumwirtschaftsplanes seiner kaiserlichen Hoheit und erster Freund der tschechischen Republik Paul Depre.

The Kaiser would like to remind Members of Parliament that, in stark contrast to the bickering and squabbling of His Majesty's Government, resulting in unprecedented British military failures in Italy and the Eastern Mediterranean, the Imperial German Government leads the nation with unflinching loyalty, skill, and unity of purpose. Let these three heroes of the German People, and their accomplishments, attest to that.

In light of these failures by His Majesty's Government, your insistence on adhering to the tried-and-failed political experiment of 'democracy' can only be explained as an irrational loyalty to a system of national degeneracy. The superiority of an enlightened totalitarian form of government has been shown in the last few years. Not only has the German Empire rid itself of a criminally abusive government, but it has solved domestic poverty and unemployment almost overnight - as evidenced by the industrial miracle that has been taking place in our nation - while the United Kingdom seems hell-bent on squandering its riches on military build-up and the import of oil to keep its war-fleets out on the high seas. Germany has emerged as a proponent of peace - seeking the way of diplomacy and dialogue with its neighbours the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, and France, and sending diplomatic envoys to achieve a peaceful solution in the Spanish Civil War - while British spies are time and again caught seeking to destabilise our peaceful nation by tampering with internal politics and inciting riots, and British armies have invaded - entirely unprovoked - not only Italian colonial possessions in Africa, but even the Italian peninsula itself. Those who took part in our peaceful successes have been praised; not slandered like we cannot help but notice the members of His Majesty's Government are.

We pray that you recognise the evil your cancerous 'democratic' form of government is compelling you to manifest upon our world. We pray that you see your warmongering for what it is, and for what it may lead to - as we hear rumors of plans being drawn up for the invasion of the Middle East in search for oil to fuel your invasion fleets. We pray that it is not yet too late for you to steer away from the course you have embarked on, that you may turn your eyes upon yourselves rather than towards others, and see the cancer that is spreading throughout your ancient and respected nation for what it truly is. The German Empire offers its hand in kindness and peace should Britain wish to rid itself of 'democracy', and take its rightful place as an enlightened totalitarian state upon the world scene, alongside the German and Japanese empires, both of which have exemplified peace in all its forms in recent years.

-Kaiser Drikus I, friend to the British People.

Ich hätte gerne große Schlachtschiffe"

• 7Like
Reactions:
I very much enjoyed watching this, but wanted to make a few comments, spoilers included if you have not yet watched:

I was ashamed of the Influencers that they used tactics that the MP community has minimally frowned upon if not outright banned. Specifically the use of 2 width divisions both for spamming paradrops and for template swapping. I'm aware that these rules were not agreed to beforehand, but I'm quite ashamed to see "bad behavior" from community influencers.

Why did the Devs not build Radar? I think that was a huge mistake, they had the advantage of fighting the Air war on the continent, they should have had full Radar coverage. I know they struggled with Industry, but considering how hugely important air power is, I would think that Radar would have been a top priority.

I was disappointed that the Devs did not make a play to challenge naval superiority at all. Probably because they had ZERO oil - which they did not make a meaningful move to secure, which is another criticism. Perhaps they were hoping to peacefully integrate Romania - which didn't happen

There seems to be a big problem with Oil. I've noticed this in various MP scenarios, and I think its 1 of 2 things:

1. Either there are WAY too many oil hungry units in MP or
2. Oil requirements are too high

I know that historically Germany struggled throughout WK2 with an oil problem - but it seems that in the current implementation of Oil in HoI4 every major power runs out of oil in the first month once the war kicks off. Germany was Out of Oil (OOO) with only 2k Fighter planes and 4 Armour Divisions almost immediately when the war broke out.

Same with Britain - they ran OOO immediately during their invasion of Italy and lost 2 capitol ships because of it.

OOO in Germany can be more easily understood with trade deficits and lack of domestic production, but with Britannia ruling the waves and controlling all of SEAsia - especially with Japan being totally useless to try to secure Oil and Rubber supplies in SEAsia - I continue to take issue with the massive oil usage we currently have.

Overall, this was very enjoyable to watch - good commentary, fun and interesting a-historical game play (coming from a Kaiserreich only player), and a very fun mechanic with the Virtual House of Commons.

One final comment, it would have been very fun to have a little more insight into what was going on in the VHC - especially during the gameplay. As someone who was not present in the Discord and was watching this on Twitch after the fact, I think this would have added to the experience in a positive way.

Thanks everyone!

• 6Like
Reactions:
I just noticed this thread up here.

I rarely look up here, but I did want to say I thoroughly enjoyed the game your guys played. Thanks to everyone for the effort they put into it. It was amazing to see the UK group with their democracy imposing such realistic constraints on the UK leaders. I could almost sense the frustration Churchill may have suffered through in trying to get his agenda pushed through. The UK group really gave a good show inside and outside the game. Salute!

Developers, you found yourself up the creek and never did find a paddle. In all fairness, it would be great if you and the UK group could switch sides and do a replay. I know I would watch it enthusiastically.

• 6Like
Reactions:
was ashamed of the Influencers that they used tactics that the MP community has minimally frowned upon if not outright banned. Specifically the use of 2 width divisions both for spamming paradrops and for template swapping. I'm aware that these rules were not agreed to beforehand, but I'm quite ashamed to see "bad behavior" from community influencers.
I do agree, very shameful to see influencers doing this. I think the devs didn't have the chance they deserved.

Reactions:
I don't see what the influencers had done as a shame. What we could observe was a lot of little mistakes almost causing catastrophic losts to both side, making the scale bending more to the side of the Influencers. Like when both sides run out of infantry equipments and artillery, because of constantly changes in production. (They forgot about the garrison system too, and that consumed, unnecessarily, a lot of manpower and infantry equipment.)

While both sides researched Superior Firepower (nerfed last patch), it proved to be a huge mistake by the Devs. Late game, the Devs had a hunge amount of light tanks without use, and tanks divisions of 20 and 40 width with poor organization (~25 org.). They should had researched Mobile Warfare.

Both side forgot about researching support companies and had expended a lot of unnecessary research in artillery, even though they hadn't enough time and industry to get enough numbers of these equipments. If the Devs had focuse in getting more 40 width tank divisions, with support AA and in spamming 20 width infantry (maybe with infantry only), they would had been able to defend more properly against the Allies.

Something that really pissed me off, was that the Devs not only forgot to research fighters 2, but they forgot to upgrade their fighters. They had lost the air battle too fast and didn't have enough time to react because of that lapse. The only benefit of that, is that it showed how terrifying and unbalanced the current air meta is. (It's win or lose!)

About the navy, the Devs underestimated the Influencers, but both sides forgot, or underestimated the necessity of fuel to operate their navies properly. The naval invasions made by the Influencers could be easily avoid, even without air superiority if the Devs had spread their subs, feed them correctly and research at least the first 3 doctrines of Trade Interdiction. If they had manneged to make a good trade interdiction against UK, they would be able to switch the air battle in their favor, and with the UK troops suffering attrition, they could even had won in land.

In short terms, both side failed to come with a clear line of action from the start of the game, and appealed to desperate actions late on. But at least was fun watching! (And i learned a lot with their mistakes.)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Not only should the devs and influencers switch sides, but they should also play more often, adding in others to pad out their teams, and to bring in fresh ideas. If they forgot so much while playing, that tells me they don't understand the game as well as they should [especially the devs].

• 3Like
Reactions:
Are developers interested in player's opinions on the release of further DLS? In particular, ideas of what to add and change in the game? If so, I can share my thoughts. Because a lot of what I imagined needed to be added to the game, later appeared in the new DLS. If you are interested in my ideas, please respond.

Reactions:
Are developers interested in player's opinions on the release of further DLS? In particular, ideas of what to add and change in the game? If so, I can share my thoughts. Because a lot of what I imagined needed to be added to the game, later appeared in the new DLS. If you are interested in my ideas, please respond.
The developers have provided a HEARTS OF IRON 4 - SUGGESTIONS forum for posting ideas. I have seen some of the better ones implemented via DLC content.

Reactions: