Hearts of Iron IV - 24th Development Diary - 11th of September 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hi everyone, and welcome back to another development diary

Some aspects have already been mentioned regarding trade before, but we will repeat them here to have it all clarified for you.

First of all, there are no stockpiles of resources, as all you have are assumed to be used every day. There are six different types of resources that are spread around the world.

• Oil - Ships, Tanks & Planes.
  • Rubber - Tanks, Trucks & Planes.
  • Aluminum - Planes & Support Equipment
  • Steel - Tanks, Ships & Guns
  • Tungsten - Heavy artillery, Anti-tank guns and Jet planes
  • Chromium - The most modern tanks.

If a production line lacks resources, either from not enough domestic resources, or traded for, there is a penalty of up to 100% on its output efficiency.

Trading for a resource locks civilian factories for its trade, which limits the amount of constructions of other buildings you can do, but if you export resources you will gain use of foreign civilian factories.

You have no control over who you export to, except you will not trade with anyone you are at war with. The amount of resources that are assigned to export depends on your trade laws which let your government demand resources for your own production. Embargos can be placed through certain national focuses as well to block trade.

Getting resources from another nation requires convoys, and it is always the buyer of goods that has to provide the convoys. Of course, this is all done automatically.

Each nation has a trade influence with another nation, which is depending on distance and relations, but can also be modified by placing troops on their borders to threaten them to trade to you before other nations. Any puppet nations are always forced to give up full trade rights to their masters.

eVEOJ8R.jpg

Next week, we’ll talk about changes to laws and politics since last winter.

And now, todays receptionist says goodbye!

iVqs0WS.jpg

Reactions:
Thanks for the DD :)
So kind of like the Victoria trade system?? ( in terms of non-specific trade partners )

Didn't know podcat smokes :eek:
iVqs0WS.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Is fuel out of the game and using oil for ship, tank and plane production is supposed to represent oil consumption? o_O
A supply DD is really desperately needed.

Reactions:
  1. Is it so that you can't decide who to trade with? What if you want to trade with only mainland european countries to prevent convoys (and enemy submarines)?
  2. No stockpiles, I really don't understand this, you only trade from day to day basis?
    • "Oh, I don't have enough oil" → Trade (automatic get oil, no matter if anyone else has a surplus or not)
  3. Automatic trading? Why have trading in the game in the first place then - why not just have everyone have every resource?
1. Answered. You can choose who to buy from, but not who you sell too, if I understood this.
2. Still don't really understand this. What if you go out of fuel from one day to another because of trade stops?
3. Still don't really understand this. Is it just selling that is automatic?

Last edited:
Reactions:
  1. You can't decide who to trade with? What if you want to trade with only mainland european countries to prevent convoys (and enemy submarines)?
  2. No stockpiles, I really don't understand this, you only trade from day to day basis?
    • "Oh, I don't have enough oil" → Trade (automatic get oil, no matter if anyone else has a surplus or not)
  3. Automatic trading? Why have trading in the game in the first place then - why not just have everyone have every resource?

You can decide who to import from but not who to export to (which is the importers problem since it's their convoys being used).
Not sure what you mean with automatic trading.

Reactions:
There is no interaction with coal? Coal was huge back then as it determined te overall production of the factories, railroads etc.
For Germany it was also a source of Oil (maybe this is integrated?) and it was an important export product.
Did you guys just lave it out because of simplicity?

Screens look good btw!

Reactions:
  1. You can't decide who to trade with? What if you want to trade with only mainland european countries to prevent convoys
  1. It says that we don't have control who we EXPORT to. Therefore we do have control over who we import from. This is important as it is the importer who provides the convoys. So if we are at war and export across the Atlantic, our convoys aren't used...
EDIt - ninja'd

Reactions:
Thanks for DD.
Am I understanding this right? The Soviet Union produces a total of 208 chromium and as they are not using any of it 208 are available for export to Italy? Question; 208 over what period, is that a day/week month or year?
Italy has an influence of 131 on the soviet union, so as long as no country with a higher influence wants any of their chromium I can trade for all of it (208), but if a country with an influence higher then mine (135) wants some of their chromium they will get it and Italy will receive less of the 208 that they want?

British Raj is separate from UK. Does this mean another DD?

Reactions:
I actually like automatic trading, as it was not really fun managing it manually. Hower as mentioned here, this may put convoys in unnecessary danger?

Also if we don't have stockpiles, how is combat handled in that regard? It consumes lots of oil (no refined gas resource anymore?) and generic resources like ammo, food and so on. Will combat simply receive a malus, if certain resources are lacking?

Thanks for the nice DD! :)

Reactions:
It's maybe the first time I don't agree with the dev' :

- Why using civilian factories to export resources ? I don't see the link...
- I don't agree with the point that you can't chose who buy resources from you. So it's impossible to sell resources to another countries as long as he doesn't ask you for trade ? If Britain is at full war with Germany, I can't propose them to sell/give them a lot of resources (if I play USA for example) as long as they don't ask ?

Reactions:
It's maybe the first time I don't agree with the dev' :

- Why using civilian factories to export resources ? I don't see the link...
- I don't agree with the point that you can't chose who buy resources from you. So it's impossible to sell resources to another countries as long as he doesn't ask you for trade ? If Britain is at full war with Germany, I can't propose them to sell/give them a lot of resources (if I play USA for example) as long as they don't ask ?
Import resources!

Thanks for DD.
Am I understanding this right? The Soviet Union produces a total of 208 chromium and as they are not using any of it 208 are available for export to Italy? Question; 208 over what period, is that a day/week month or year?
Italy has an influence of 131 on the soviet union, so as long as no country with a higher influence wants any of their chromium I can trade for all of it (208), but if a country with an influence higher then mine (135) wants some of their chromium they will get it and Italy will receive less of the 208 that they want?
SU probably produces more than 208 but only a certain percentage of the total production is free to be traded away, depending on trade laws.
208 is just 208 out of 208, since there is no stockpiling you aren't producing per day/week.
How much you can import is capped by how much civilian industry you can trade for it, so Italy probably wouldn't be able to import anywhere near the whole 208.

Reactions: