Hearts of Iron IV - 23rd Development Diary - 4th of September 2015 (1 day early)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like the idea that you have to use your own resources/industry to get damaged structures up and running again.

However, I am uncertain if the state/province max factories number is a good thing. For instance a HIGH population province should not automatically have a possibility of more factories than a LOW population province. People can move. Or work shifts. Normally there are other elements than population that matters when deciding on what is a suitable place for industry. Population should matter way less then natural suitabilty (can have a hidden stat for each province), infrastructure, railroad, docks etc.

In Gotland you cannot build factories? Is that logical? I don't know the terrain or anything. But if Sweden decided that they wanted to build a factory on that Island that would be impossible? For instance we had/have a weapons manufacturer in Kongsberg in Norway... Not the highest population density in that town...

Also, forts arent they normally built by military engineers, with the use of civilian materials/companies at times, but also, conscripts as a work force, sometimes even POW's... However you should use military factories for that in my opinion. Or perhaps a combination if that is possible.

The state "level" which this seems to be on taken into account that the interface says state owner is a quite big entity from what i understand. this should take into account that a factory could be placed in a remote location in said state. However i assume that factories in HoI4 is either considered as a large concentration of smaller factories or a large factory and you need atleast some sort of population to make up the workforce. This (population as workforce) is normally also something you need to take into account when placing a large production of whatever so i would say its well founded. It seems like a nice addition if you ask me and it will also make it harder for a minor to chunk lots and lots of tanks/airplanes or similar untill they have conquered larger territories.

Regarding fort construction: its normal that you use civilian contractors, a lot of construction companies got rich by building the atlantic wall for the germans. Im unsure of the use of conscripts or POWs as a workforce compared to civilian contractors but since POWs arent a part of the game to use civilian factories to built forts is the right thing to do.

Reactions:
Hs2kqGy.jpg

What is this Yellow/Orange icon 0/10 on the left bottom?

Reactions:
Awesome diary. One question.
Will it be possible to carry out large scale works to improve your capabilities and partially overcome limitations like low population. For example by putting a big effort into mechanizing and consolidating farms you could make more people available for work in factories or the military. Black Ice had a system like this and I thought it was really good.

Looks great. I have to do a bit of complaining though, I don't think that that is the best way to represent how many factories there are. Is it really necessary to have an individual icon for every factory? Why not just have an icon and then a number denoting how many factories there are of that type. That way you wouldn't have to scale the interface based on the max size of the province. Something like this:
Untitled_zpstfalcanp.png~original

Maybe make the numbers more transparent, or put them above/below the factory type

Then you wont see which one is damaged and/or repairing.

Reactions:
claims.... yummi :D

A few questions, hoping for answers :p:

- "Limited by population" can i "settle" population from one province/region to another or is the growth fixed by one factor?
- While i see the icon, how does dissent affect this? Industries close while Dissent or is it just a "malus" like in HoI 3?
- Fortifications as buildings are gone?

How do we change a civilian factiry to a military one? I guess there will be some sort of "cooldown" period? (otherwise I can see a big, unrealistic exploit)

Nuclear Reactor - producing new nuclear bombs.

So what happens to the old ones you have :-D alright... bad starter joke on interpretaiton, since you don´t have it at start it would logically be "producing nuclear bombs"...

damaged industry needs to be repaired using your own industry instead of being free repairs over time

What happens if all your factories gets damaged, which could easily happen to smaller nations. They should have an option to rebuild at a slower pace (since they are out of factories to mass produce and help with production, just a thought). Otherwise, great idea for immersion and tactical options.

Gotland for 0

Really? hopefully this could be changed, since I personally see Gotland as a great place to have a naval shipyard. Well, it can still be used as a docking site though.

Also, forts arent they normally built by military engineers, with the use of civilian materials/companies at times

Actually I think many military projects uses private contractors since the army has so few constructors to my knowledge. At least that´s the case around where I live, perhaps only the most secret places being done by the military. Anyways, it grants some kind of balance this way and gives the incentive to have more civilian factories too so I´m happy about this actually.

On a side note, how does parallel construction means for producing a single ship means in this case. Since in reality having a single ship constructed is usually logistically being done in one place and thus can´t get any benefits of having three shipyards in the state? Then again, having 2 shipyards building parts and transporting to a place for assembly could mean faster production, but not halving it since the parts would have to move. Not sure how this is portrayed in game?...

Reactions:
I really do love the new factory system. It goes very well with the new weapons producing (not producing units) system!

1. Question 'Rocket Test Sites - allows deployment of rockets.' does this mean rocket production or do rockets still need factories for production?

2. My modders question is can we mod in new factory type and require them for certain weapons types? I am mainly thinking about adding Aircraft Factories & requiring them for aircraft production.

Reactions:
Wa-hey, a DD and it's not even DD Day :D. Cheers as always :). I like the sound of this a lot. While I'm not a modder, this kind of approach is likely to make it a lot easier for modders to adjust the kind of things that have to be built without needing to tinker as much with the interface (also cool :cool:).

I know you've had a bajillion questions already, so as always please ignore if a pain/hassle/inappropriate, but your punishment for putting together a game that looks so good is us all being interested in it :p

- How does production work with cores and non-core areas (if there are even cores or similar as we knew them in HoI3 in the game) - does this influence the building cap, or the efficiency of the production lines, or can a German-controlled India produce a lot of infrastructure quickly and become a manufacturing powerhouse?

- On places like India, China, Nigeria, Mexico and other places with lots of people but not so much manufacturing capacity (in the period, relative to population) how easy is it to build up the infrastructure to take advantage of the population - are these places balanced by low infrastructure levels and slow infrastructure build times, or some other mechanism? Would love more info but only if easy.

Reactions:
Then you wont see which one is damaged and/or repairing.
damn so theres actually a point :D.

Infrastructure, Airfield, AA and Radar is shown as current/total level. Is there a reason why this isnt the case for factories? Like 14/16 factories instead of showing X unlocked slots. I assume theres a good reason so another idea would be to show it as 16/20 unlocked slots.

Then the tooltip could be:

16/20 Unlocked Slots
Limited to 20 by Population
Limited to 16 by Infrastructure

Reactions:
So no abstractions of highways etc ?

I'm pretty sure this was confirmed by the devs (pretty sure it was Podcat, but it was a while ago, so too long ago to be fairly sure) a whiles back. On the positive side, states are 4-6 provinces or so, so hopefully it'll still be the case that they can do 'avenues' of high infra for developed corridors, even if it's more broad-brush than it was in HoI3. Thinking about it, I don't think it'd be a big issue for Europe (as in, the abstraction wouldn't have a huge impact on gameplay), but for somewhere like Russia or China (or the Soviet Far East) where the high infra areas were a bit more focussed, it'll probably require some sensible state design to achieve things like the highway from Minsk to Moscow and the like. Wet finger in the air, I reckon it's possible to get 'near enough' infra corridors with state-level infra to get the job done. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer province level infra myself, but I think it's an abstraction they can get away with. They seem to be making it fairly mod-friendly, so hopefully there'll be a way to mod in province-level infra without turning every province into a state.

That's New York State not NYC. Reminiscent of Vic II's industrial system.