Hearts of Iron IV - 22nd Development Diary - 28th of August 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The point with experience loss would be to nerf micromanagment and min maxing much like what efficiency does for the production system.
The point is that this design is completely unrealistic. In real world you can detach a battalion from a division and assign it to another at any time. You don't need a template for that and you don't loose any experience. The physical unit moves from one division to another and it is not abstracted in a pool of whatever that might go back to Washington or from which other units draws their needed material. HOI3 makes it possible. Mass production is a very different case...

That might be moddable too.
The issue is about game design (and I guess game engine), see above.

Last edited:
Okay, but it's better than unmodded HoI3. You're comparing modded HoI3 and unmodded HoI4, and complaining it's not modded, essentially.

No, as I said in (unmodded) HOI3 you can do that by game design because you have the physical unit. In HOI4 (modded or unmodded) that is not possible at all.

The point is that this design is completely unrealistic. In real world you can detach a battalion from a division and assign it to another at any time. You don't need a template for that and you don't loose any experience. The physical unit moves from one division to another and it is not abstracted in a pool of whatever that might go back to Washington or from which other units draws their needed material. HOI3 makes it possible. Mass production is a very different case...
Yes. However, real life is NOT a game with the smallest unit being the division. In real life, then and even more so now, units were frequently broken up, assigned to new divisions, etc. Heck, the infamous Soviet Artillery Breakthrough divisions that were discussed in another thread NEVER ACTUALLY OPERATED AS DIVISIONS; one brigade was retained as Corps assets, the rest were assigned to various divisions. Then there are all the independent battalions that operated in the Pacific as island garrisons.

Simply put you are right; and it doesn't matter one bit. The designers have decided that the DIVISION is the smallest INDIVIDUAL unit in the game. As long as that is true, then you can't break a SMALLER unit out of the game for the simple reason that they aren't tracked.

No, as I said in (unmodded) HOI3 you can do that by game design because you have the physical unit. In HOI4 (modded or unmodded) that is not possible at all.
Right, but it's so much less detailed. It's far less realistic because you can only have 4 brigade slots, which is incredibly inflexible.

Yes. However, real life is NOT a game with the smallest unit being the division. In real life, then and even more so now, units were frequently broken up, assigned to new divisions, etc. Heck, the infamous Soviet Artillery Breakthrough divisions that were discussed in another thread NEVER ACTUALLY OPERATED AS DIVISIONS; one brigade was retained as Corps assets, the rest were assigned to various divisions. Then there are all the independent battalions that operated in the Pacific as island garrisons.
Yes. We can add that for example in North Africa, at the beginning, much of the war between Germans and Allies was a matter of armored/mobile brigades.

Simply put you are right; and it doesn't matter one bit. The designers have decided that the DIVISION is the smallest INDIVIDUAL unit in the game. As long as that is true, then you can't break a SMALLER unit out of the game for the simple reason that they aren't tracked.
I know and this is one of the reasons why, for what I can understand, I prefer HOI3 and I would like to buy a HOI3 expansion rather then HOI4.

Last edited:
Can I just say I will NOT be using the Nato symbols when I play - I hate them.

Reactions:
Has anyone deeper knowlege about SS divisions and resistance?

As I undersand the support companies, they provide a bonus, to the complete division. As I undersand it, it is a good idea, to add enegniers, logitics or hospitals, to hughe divisions, because these support companies give the same bonus, to all the attached battalions. Or do a hospital companie provide less bonus to every battalion, if the division consists of 30 battalions?

On the other side, it shoud be a good idea, to build SS divisions, with just 1 batallion and a attached SS companie, because i need just the suppresiion bonus.

So here is my question: Is there any reason to build bigger ss divisions (for observing occupied territory)? Do they have any benefits? Perhaps a bigger SS division can control a lager region an a small division can control only one province?

It's so funny when someone writes specifically that they will express their own preferences and people react using "helpful" or "respectfully disagree". How do you disagree with their opinion?

It would be nice to have multiple options, the symbolism is more informative than the sprites. So i really hope we have options available in this regard.

Reactions:
Can I just say I will NOT be using the Nato symbols when I play - I hate them.

Informative, will you be wearing trousers? :)

Hello, and welcome back to another Hearts of Iron 4 Development Diary. This week we’ll talk about the different support companies you can add to your divisions.

First of all, we have added a new type of equipment called “Support Equipment”. This represents things like radios, jeeps, pontoons, medical kits, spades and other such items. This requires access to aluminium and steel to produce efficiently.

Secondly, we have added another technology tree, called the Support Tree, where you research various support companies and their improvement.

xaf3Ll2.jpg

A division can have up to 5 different support companies, and they all have different roles, so you need to consider which of the 11 ones that fit your divisions.

Anti-Air
These provide a few batteries of anti-air guns to the division, helping them shoot down hostile airplanes.
Requires Anti-Air Equipment

Anti-Tank
These provide a few batteries of anti-tank guns to the division, giving them some capability to take out tanks.
Requires Anti-Tank Equipment

Artillery
These provide a few batteries to the division, giving them some artillery support, giving them division a bit extra firepower.
Requires Artillery Equipment

Rocket Artillery
For when regular artillery are just not cool enough. Rocket artillery is a bit later technology and is more suited for breakthroughs than regular artillery (rockets will deliver a big punch to an area but are not as accurate as plain old artillery and their more mobile nature means they can fire and move quicker).
Requires Rocket-Artillery Equipment

Recon
These provide vital reconaissance to your divison, making it possible to counter enemy tactics in combat.
Requires Infantry Equipment and Support equipment.

Engineers
Helps out when attacking forts and crossing rivers, as well as making far better entrenchments and defending in forts and behind rivers.

Field Hospital
This increases the amount of manpower you regain after a unit takes casualties, representing wounded that can be taken care of properly, as well as reducing experience loss in a division after losing men.
Requires Trucks & Support Equipment

Logistics Company
This company reduces the supply consumption of the entire division.

Military Police
These provide the bulk of suppression a unit needs to keep insurgency down.

Maintenance Company
These increases the reliability of equipment in the division, making it less likely equipment is lost in combat or from training.
Requires Support Equipment

Signal Company
This company provides coordination to the division, making them implement preparation for battle plans quicker, and more likely to reinforce a current battle.

As you can see, different types of divisions and different types of doctrines will make you use different types of support.

And well.. in this screenshot I've toggled something that some of you will love I guess :)

8CdmWTC.jpg
Johan, here artillery company comes as support unit, wont be there any independent artillery piece as a main batallion into division?

Johan, here artillery company comes as support unit, wont be there any independent artillery piece as a main batallion into division?
Artillery, Anti-Tank and Anti-Air can be both. A support unit and a batallion. Support will have none penaltys for the division (only these can also be airdroped in Paratrooper divisions), but you can only have one per division. Artillery batallions are more powerful, but give penaltys and cost more in equipment.

Reactions:
Artillery, Anti-Tank and Anti-Air can be both. A support unit and a batallion. Support will have none penaltys for the division (only these can also be airdroped in Paratrooper divisions), but you can only have one per division. Artillery batallions are more powerful, but give penaltys and cost more in equipment.

Thank You G-sus, very useful and clear information.