Hearts of Iron IV - 22nd Development Diary - 28th of August 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello, and welcome back to another Hearts of Iron 4 Development Diary. This week we’ll talk about the different support companies you can add to your divisions.

First of all, we have added a new type of equipment called “Support Equipment”. This represents things like radios, jeeps, pontoons, medical kits, spades and other such items. This requires access to aluminium and steel to produce efficiently.

Secondly, we have added another technology tree, called the Support Tree, where you research various support companies and their improvement.

xaf3Ll2.jpg

A division can have up to 5 different support companies, and they all have different roles, so you need to consider which of the 11 ones that fit your divisions.

Anti-Air
These provide a few batteries of anti-air guns to the division, helping them shoot down hostile airplanes.
Requires Anti-Air Equipment

Anti-Tank
These provide a few batteries of anti-tank guns to the division, giving them some capability to take out tanks.
Requires Anti-Tank Equipment

Artillery
These provide a few batteries to the division, giving them some artillery support, giving them division a bit extra firepower.
Requires Artillery Equipment

Rocket Artillery
For when regular artillery are just not cool enough. Rocket artillery is a bit later technology and is more suited for breakthroughs than regular artillery (rockets will deliver a big punch to an area but are not as accurate as plain old artillery and their more mobile nature means they can fire and move quicker).
Requires Rocket-Artillery Equipment

Recon
These provide vital reconaissance to your divison, making it possible to counter enemy tactics in combat.
Requires Infantry Equipment and Support equipment.

Engineers
Helps out when attacking forts and crossing rivers, as well as making far better entrenchments and defending in forts and behind rivers.

Field Hospital
This increases the amount of manpower you regain after a unit takes casualties, representing wounded that can be taken care of properly, as well as reducing experience loss in a division after losing men.
Requires Trucks & Support Equipment

Logistics Company
This company reduces the supply consumption of the entire division.

Military Police
These provide the bulk of suppression a unit needs to keep insurgency down.

Maintenance Company
These increases the reliability of equipment in the division, making it less likely equipment is lost in combat or from training.
Requires Support Equipment

Signal Company
This company provides coordination to the division, making them implement preparation for battle plans quicker, and more likely to reinforce a current battle.

As you can see, different types of divisions and different types of doctrines will make you use different types of support.

And well.. in this screenshot I've toggled something that some of you will love I guess :)

8CdmWTC.jpg

Reactions:
What effect (if any) do you get for having multiples of the same type? And I assume that support choices will not effect the speed of the division? Thank you very much for the DD! cannot wait to play this game.

Reactions:
NATO counters!

Reactions:
Great, now it's even more streamlined and dumbed down :( .

(/Irony)

Reactions:
Why does the signal company reduce Organization? Does that happen for all support companies?

Yes, any non-mainline does.

Reactions:
This is great

wow i can't believe i actually guessed 9 out of 11 support batallions. Only ones I didnt get were maintenance and military police.

should a field hospital be included in most divisions so as to save MP?

omfg i cant wait, pds just take my cash!

Last edited:
Reactions:
This is great
Btw, Can these supporting battalions be assigned to the 5 brigades? The slots for the supporting units are not enough as you mentioned but IMO the slots for the infantry and armored battalions are too many.

Last edited:
**EDITED
**Never mind, all my questions was answered in the DD** :p

BTW great DD!

Reactions:
Nice diary
Is there any reason not to have a maintenance unit in every single group pre war?
If all these use the same equipment could u just use them for all your training prewar then change them into something else?

Nice diary
Is there any reason not to have a maintenance unit in every single group pre war?

Its kind of expensive to add and remove in a few templates, basically making it impossible to change templates for anything else pre-war.

Reactions:
@Johan

When you said 'I've toggled something that some of you will love I guess' I thought you meant 'a good look at the selection screen. It was not until @albso437 pointed out 'NATO Counters' that I knew what you were talking about. Because as an old time wargamer I just read them like I read English.

Thanks!!!! We appreciate it!!!!!

Reactions:
Sweet!!! Nato Counters and really cool stuff!!!

Reactions:
Beautiful! Not to be negative, but surely any modern (1940's) Army would be using every single one of those support "companies"???

Why not support battalions?

And what about the OOB!!!! :(:(:( These things belong at the Corps level for the most part. Such potential with an OOB that utilizes Corps, Army, Army Group etc... as force multipliers/centers of supply. Instead of supplying 100+ divisions with 400+ support companies we could just supply 25 Corps and 100 support battalions. (assuming 4 support companies/battalions per division/corps)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Johan posting dd 7.07 in the morning. Swedes... :)

Reactions: