Hearts of Iron IV - 21st Development Diary - 21st of August 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Truth be said it would be a broken system if it wasn´t like that.

Well there was something broken in HOI3 when you could have two experienced, rested and ready armored divisions arriving in a province under attack only for the last defending unit to retreat before they could clear the reserve-roll and have the whole force retreat in a disorderly fashion. In the extreme you could have two militia divisions battling it out, the defender then moved in a strong fresh heavy infantry corps which didn't clear the reserve-roll and the battle was lost in any case. If it however arrived two hours later (when the retreat already happened) then a new battle was initiated or if the attacker arrived at the province then what was in effect a counterattack battle occurred.

This is one of the things that made HOI3 micromanagement intensive and IF the mechanic is still the same then I fear for the new battleplan influenced AI behavior as it would (in HOI3) often lead to a failure-cascade where a few well timed thrusts could send even rested/organized armored divisions reeling and overrun by cavalry (and if they arrived in the retreat province before the retreating forces then they simply vanished without so much as a notification).

Last edited:
Reactions:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/bice-8-0-preview.874118/page-16

Look at this battle mehanic.
You must build every units for a purpose give them tactic and operational plan. These are bulding block of strategy. No this bulding block no any strategy just fixed modifiers. Mass assault is something else than just carnage and when you spend all of your troops reinforcsments can only run for their life. What is reinforce chance ? This is not something that you will put luck on it.

Little joke - what stats division have STR, DEX,VIT and should I put lot of points in LUCK.

I like idea of HQ. Give me a chance to form HQ where I will put generals to perform tactics. Give chance to soldier to learrn his weapon his commanders to decide how to attack/defense. You had it all in HOI3 why same mistake? Just play with tactic and roll them . Let the people at last see what battle is really are.

Last edited:
Looking good as ever, but may i suggest you make the tactic and counter tactic look a bit more easy to see ? i mean, which tactic counter which tactic, You say in the that von Rundstedt using a tactic that counter Sikorski tactic , but in the interface, i not see any symbol that indicate that information unlike in HOI3

Reactions:
A window somewhere showing all the tactics would be helpeful, too. HOI3 didn't have that, it just mentioned the various tactics in techs, and showed them in battles.

Reactions:
1.Can i destroy the infrastructure when making a planned retreat?
2.Can i make bunkers with equipment for my allies to move there units into?(Like this https://derhonigmannsagt.wordpress....en-neues-kriegs-gerat-in-hohlen-von-norwegen/) you can see one of the defensive lines that Norway has in case of Russian aggression ;)

1. I hope you will be able to delete structures. One thing that annoyed me from HOI3 is the events you get to destroy forts, however, they are still on the map...
2. I really doubt it, you want to "place" equipment in different areas and let allies pick them up when/if they arrive?

However, what would have been nice is sort of to give away equipment. Give older/new or whatever you choose, equipment to allies. Or sell it on the open market. Or buy weapons/equipment. Norway bought 12 Gloster Gladiators from UK and 4 Caproni Ca.310 from Italy, prior to the war. However, the pilots had very little training in Norway, so the Air Force really was of little use anyway... Somebody said something like this regarding our Air Force at the time: "To send out our boys to fight would be suicide because of the little training they have"

A country like Norway could never and should never be able to produce their own planes, they had to and have to buy them from someone else. That should also be reflected in the game. You just cannot "build" planes if you haven't got the factories to do so. Not every country has or should have the capability during WW2. This also applies to Tanks, Motorized units etc. If you wanted to build up a factory to produce your own plane, that would be a very hard task for most minor countries.

Reactions:
1. I hope you will be able to delete structures. One thing that annoyed me from HOI3 is the events you get to destroy forts, however, they are still on the map...
2. I really doubt it, you want to "place" equipment in different areas and let allies pick them up when/if they arrive?

However, what would have been nice is sort of to give away equipment. Give older/new or whatever you choose, equipment to allies. Or sell it on the open market. Or buy weapons/equipment. Norway bought 12 Gloster Gladiators from UK and 4 Caproni Ca.310 from Italy, prior to the war. However, the pilots had very little training in Norway, so the Air Force really was of little use anyway... Somebody said something like this regarding our Air Force at the time: "To send out our boys to fight would be suicide because of the little training they have"

A country like Norway could never and should never be able to produce their own planes, they had to and have to buy them from someone else. That should also be reflected in the game. You just cannot "build" planes if you haven't got the factories to do so. Not every country has or should have the capability during WW2. This also applies to Tanks, Motorized units etc. If you wanted to build up a factory to produce your own plane, that would be a very hard task for most minor countries.
2.Yes, so my allies can use the equipment with their trained troops.
3. It would be nice to have military units escape to say England to train and help out like they did in the war.

It would be more factual if there had added the mechanics where you could sell or give away old equipment but equipment can only come through lend lease and I think a country has to be a allied or at war to receive lend lease equipment.

Reactions:
1.Will this happen in game?
Through the Norwegian government's Nortraship system, the Allies also gained the services of the Norwegian merchant navy, the fourth largest in the world. The 1,028-ship strong Nortraship was established on 22 April at a government meeting at Stuguflåten inRomsdal. The Nortraship fleet consisted of some 85% of the pre-war Norwegian merchant fleet, the remaining 15% having been in Norway when the Germans invaded and been unable to escape. The Nortraship vessels were crewed by 27,000 sailors. In total 43 free Norwegian ships were sunk during the Norwegian Campaign, while another 29 were interned by the neutral Swedes.[17][118][119][120] Nortraship gave the Norwegian government-in-exile economic independence and a basis for continued resistance from abroad.
2.When the axis attack will allies get troops that have escaped and/or manpower?
3.Can you supply saboteurs in an enemy occupied country, like the British did?

Reactions:
1.Will this happen in game?
Through the Norwegian government's Nortraship system, the Allies also gained the services of the Norwegian merchant navy, the fourth largest in the world. The 1,028-ship strong Nortraship was established on 22 April at a government meeting at Stuguflåten inRomsdal. The Nortraship fleet consisted of some 85% of the pre-war Norwegian merchant fleet, the remaining 15% having been in Norway when the Germans invaded and been unable to escape. The Nortraship vessels were crewed by 27,000 sailors. In total 43 free Norwegian ships were sunk during the Norwegian Campaign, while another 29 were interned by the neutral Swedes.[17][118][119][120] Nortraship gave the Norwegian government-in-exile economic independence and a basis for continued resistance from abroad.
2.When the axis attack will allies get troops that have escaped and/or manpower?
3.Can you supply saboteurs in an enemy occupied country, like the British did?

1. Would be nice. If fleet got under allied command instead of sailing under Norwegian flag, then it could be better coordinated. I believe the merchant fleet of Norway got under both UK and US control? In HOI3 the ships that survived did still live though (if Government was in exile) and kept on fighting, but it was under Norwegian flag.
1.1. This also needs the convoys to be actual ships though, not just abstracted as they was in HOI3.
2. Would be nice, but shoulden't be overdone. It was not like it was a big deal. I don't have the numbers now, but if the "foreign soldiers" could be broken down to brigades and such? Not entire divisons?
3. I suppose you can. You can do that in HOI3 too. Covert Op Points or what it is called. Then you can sabotage some provinces. However. This must not be overdone, it is most critical that it is not in my opinion. This was NOT a big deal in the war. And the Norwegian saboteurs for instance, had NO effect on the war, whatsoever. Just a disturbance.
3.1. What I would like to is to be able to pick WHAT to sabotage: port, airbase, infrastructure etc.

I am not a fan of the uprisings of HOI3 though. That never happened in the entire war in my knowledge. Not that numbers. There where some tiny uprisings, but they where rare.

1. Would be nice. If fleet got under allied command instead of sailing under Norwegian flag, then it could be better coordinated. I believe the merchant fleet of Norway got under both UK and US control? In HOI3 the ships that survived did still live though (if Government was in exile) and kept on fighting, but it was under Norwegian flag.
1. This also needs the convoys to be actual ships though, not just abstracted as they was in HOI3.
2. Would be nice, but shoulden't be overdone. It was not like it was a big deal. I don't have the numbers now, but if the "foreign soldiers" could be broken down to brigades and such? Not entire divisons?
3. I suppose you can. You can do that in HOI3 too. Covert Op Points or what it is called. Then you can sabotage some provinces. However. This must not be overdone, it is most critical that it is not in my opinion. This was NOT a big deal in the war. And the Norwegian saboteurs for instance, had NO effect on the war, whatsoever. Just a disturbance.
3.1. What I would like to is to be able to pick WHAT to sabotage: port, airbase, infrastructure etc.

I am not a fan of the uprisings of HOI3 though. That never happened in the entire war in my knowledge. Not that numbers. There where some tiny uprisings, but they where rare.
1. Norway basically sold the use of our fleet of merchants to both UK and US in WW2.
3.Nortraship gave the Norwegian government-in-exile economic independence and a basis for continued resistance from abroad. The Norwegian saboteurs was effective spotting enemy movement and reporting to britain(Tirpitz had base in Kåfjorden at Alta from spring 1943. radio transmitter in Porsa serviced by Rolf Storvik and Trygve Duklæt reported to London on ship movements in the fjord).

The British politician Philip Noel-Baker, Baron Noel-Baker, commented after the war that "The first great defeat for Hitler was the battle of Britain. It was a turning point in history. If we had not had the Norwegian fleet of tankers on our side, we should not have had the aviation spirit to put our Hawker Hurricanes and our Spitfires into the sky. Without the Norwegian merchant fleet, Britain and the allies would have lost the war."

Reactions:
Combat width works a lot like in HOI3, but is now more detailed. Each division will have a combat width which will tell you how many divisions fit into the frontline for active fighting. The available width of the combat goes up the more directions you attack from, so tactical flanking is needed if you want to leverage a numerical advantage. Width is also affected by certain combat tactics (more on that below). Divisions that do not fit on the frontline at the start of combat end up in reserves and will have a chance to join every hour in as long as there is room. The chance to join is greatly affected by doctrine tech, or by having a signal company attached to the division, and is important if you want to be able to leverage a lot of units in a single location, because if the frontline fall your side is forced to retreat no matter what.

Reading that "combat width works a lot like in HOI3" and "divisions that do not fit on the frontline at the start of combat end up in reserves" sent chills down my spine, as there is an absolutely embarassing bug concerning that topic in HoI3 which has never been fixed.

I'm especially talking about the second one, but first one isn't very nice too and wasn't fixed either:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-support-attack-mission-possible-bugs.682528/

tldr;: I'd like to wish HoI4 dev team and all players that combat width will NOT work like in HOI3, but like it SHOULD work in HOI3 (even if noone cared to fix it at the very end, even after 4 expansion packs and countless patches...)

Reactions: