Hearts of Iron IV - 20th Development Diary - 14th of August 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
index.php

Here you go.

Reactions:
So perhaps it was asked before (if so, sorry - and could you show me where?), I didn´t read all 20 pages. But my questions:
1) Is it necessary to go with The Great Purge to not get Trotsky? If so, then it seems bit too much railroady to me. And what is worse it pretty much says Stalin couldn´t rule without being inherently evil (to me it looks like as if you had to do Krystal Night with Germany to not to get a military coup or something - now I know you don´t like when people mention this event or other things Germany did, it is just an example that I hope is decent-ish and shows my grudge with The Great Purge).
2) If, on the other hand, you want to have Trotsky, can you help him? Or is it pure game of chance?
3) Will Trotsky look like Trotsky? In the WWW videos there was a coup in the USSR, but the guy didn´t look like Trotsky at all. Am I just dumb or was that a different guy? Thx.

So perhaps it was asked before (if so, sorry - and could you show me where?), I didn´t read all 20 pages. But my questions:
3) Will Trotsky look like Trotsky? In the WWW videos there was a coup in the USSR, but the guy didn´t look like Trotsky at all. Am I just dumb or was that a different guy? Thx.

Don't quote me on this one, but I believe it's actually his son that is represented in the portrait...

HOI-4 will be the fourth game in the series.

It can be forgiven that the Soviet OOB (and all other OOB) on 01.01.1936 were absolutely not historical in the first two games.
It was shameful that the Soviet OOB (and all other OOB) on 01.01.1936 were not historical in HOI-3.
And it will be epic fail if Soviet OOB (and all other OOB) on 01.01.1936 will be not historical in HOI-4.

It's not a game about Dragons and Ogres! It's not fantasy!
This game is about 2WW !

When you finally stop doing the hack work and will made correct historical starting OOBs for all countries?

You wrote "138 Soviet divisions", but which ones and how much?

##############################################################################################

A little historical background about Soviet OOB on 01.01.1936:

1) Infantry - 78 divisions (no less no more!)

2) Mountain infantry - 9 divisions (no less no more!)

3) Armor - 4 Light tank divisions (4 "mechanized corps") AND 23 "separate" (NOT attachable/detachable!) brigades.
In 1936 year 1 soviet "mechanized corps" = 2 Light tank brigades + 1 infantry brigade and includes 329 Light tanks)

At all, 01.01.36 Red Army consisted 31 "separate" armor brigades (25 “mechanized brigades” + 6 “tank brigades”).
6 “tank brigades” can be correctly implemented as Armor units, other 25 “mechanized brigades” as Light Armor units.
All these brigades were "separate", this means that they were not for 'attaching' to other divisions, but they used for forming armor divisions or for independent actions.
8 from these "separate" 31 brigades were already formed in 4 "mechanized corps".
11 (including 6 “tank brigades”) were still being formed ("under construction"), since summer 1935. They can be implemented in game as five-six 10%-30% STR divisions, or as 5-6 divisions with 50% progress in "under construction list", or as 11 "separate" (NOT attachable/detachable!) brigades if it will be possible in HOI-4 mechanics.
The last 31-8-11 = 12 "separate" brigades also can be implemented in game as six 50% STR divisions, or as 6 divisions with 70% progress in "under construction list", or as 12 "separate" (NOT attachable/detachable) brigades.

Also, every soviet infantry and mountain division (in 1936!!) had one “attached” tank battalion.
1 soviet “infantry” tank battalion = 42 tanks
1 soviet “mountain” tank battalion = 19 tanks
1 soviet LT-brigade = 3 tank battalions = 127 tanks

If HOI-4 mechanics have no "battalions", you can attach one "LT_brigade" to every third Infantry division.

4) Cavalry - 31 divisions (9 of them are forming since summer 1935 and have not full STR)
But! Need to understand that cavalry has 6600 (boosted - 7600 men) - more two times less than infantry division with 100 STR!! Therefore absolutely incorrect to make any unit in HOI with 6600-7600 man = 100 STR.
Alternatively these 31 Soviet Cavalry divisions can be implemented as 15-16 cavalry Corps with two divisions in one corps (6600+6600=13200 men in unit with 100 STR).
And need to remember that every Soviet cavalry division had in it's staffing structure NOT detachable regiment of 64 light tanks. (These 64 light tanks cannot be implemented as attached brigades, it's not correct!)

5) Paratroopers - 4 Brigades

6) Mechanized, Motorized, Marines - 0 (Zero!!!)

7) 01.01.1936 there were Zero(!!!) SB-2 tactical bombers in USSR!!! (as it is in all HOI games!!!). But it were about 4000-5000 R-5/R-6!
(more five thousands military versions was built in 1931-1935, but any number of course have been lost in the process of operation)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polikarpov_R-5
How was it possible to lose 5000 airplanes in all HOI games??
R-5 was universal scout and can be implemented as you want - some Tactical, some CAS and few Naval. R-6 is Tactical.

8) By my mind, there are no need to implement in Game 4000-4500 small Po-2 (as in all HOI games). These "mosquito" night bombers were used throughout the war, but I shure that the planes easier to 1500 kg should not be included in HOI for more good game balance between SOV and GER.

9) By my mind, it would be better to implement 600-680 heavy TB-3 not as strategical bombers, but as Transports, because they were outdated in 1941 and uzed more as Transports (25 paratroopers in one TB-3).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Can you turn Soviet Union democratic or fascist? It looks like there's no national focus for either of those.
Yes you can. There is no focus, which is sensible. The ideology changing focii or somewhat grounded in reality (such as America becoming fascist as a response to the Great Depression), but it is simply unreasonable to expect Stalin to allow the USSR to change, as it would mean he loses power. That said, you can appoint Democratic or Fascist Ministers to encourage those ideologies, and pick the respective responses to decisions, allowing for government change later. Externally, other nations may also support parties or coups.

Reactions:
Practices for pluralizing Latin origin, English language words are not at all standardized. I don't know enough about actual Latin grammar to comment on whether that'd be the appropriate usage in the Latin form, but it's clear what was meant either way.

Practices for pluralizing Latin origin, English language words are not at all standardized. I don't know enough about actual Latin grammar to comment on whether that'd be the appropriate usage in the Latin form, but it's clear what was meant either way.
I can speak Latin and I think that focii is wrong