Hearts of Iron IV - 19th Development Diary - 3rd of July 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a question about equipment production:
What impact will lack of some resource have on production? Since rubber was produced in only a few locations and AFAIK, game doesnt have synthetic rubber plants, many countries wont have access to rubber.

you can produce synthetic rubber, but otherwise as Vidkjaer said

Reactions:
And so begins 6 weeks of hell... :-(

Dury

Reactions:
We havent talked reinforcement and supplies yet, but it goes like this:
Priority for supply is first looking at theater priorities, and after that individual division priorities. So if you have elites in africa and put africa on low priority they will get stuff after regulars at home etc if that has higher priority.
Thank you and sure, It was no dev who revealed that info, afaik it was in one of the vids of the recent press event.
There it was said to have different options to define units replacments in the division builder. (aka, if elite they get more and better replacements and so on..)
So overall, it is a bit less "detailed" in comparision to HoI3 if less Generals are used? If Generals have that option attached to their units. Or maybe that is what you meant with Theater? In the sense of who gets replacements. But quite more detailed in the sense of equipment as such. :)

I also spotted lately the "air aces" in some of that vids wich seem to add nice boni to air groups. Do we get aces also for naval/land? Or are they only a "replacemnet" for "OOB-Land-Generals"?
And the possibility to convert civillian IC to military IC and back? Next to that factories need different types of ressources similar as to Vicky2.
Ccivillian IC product of Consumer Goods is used for trade as was before used Money. So Money is just "droped" and instead IC-power/IC-focus is used more directly to steer a countries ability.
Don't know if that was known/mentioned in any DD before.

As you are reading here I made a note about the provinces shown in one of the vid:
Province/Region Hannover has Dockyards capability of 2/15? So maybe that is for the whole region, but if not.. :)
Brandenburg has different showing of buildings in the sense how they are sorted?
Syntheic oil to the left in Hannover, to the right in Brandenburg?

very nica as always! :)

quick question to everyone here that might already be answered. at the top of the screen we have 3 counters with stars besides them. this is army experience, political power...and? what is the 3rd one? naval experience?

I think Johan fired some event to get the flag in '36 and I think the colonies, canada, australia etc tell you to f**ck off if you go fascist in that event ;) (or its just because he tagged between nations and that resets the list of theaters right now)

WAIT WAIT WAIT...:eek:

Podcat, can you tell us more about national flag change.
Does it change by event or ideology.
Can we add more flags if we have more ideologies?o_O

What about those technology changes?
You already said big techs mean new equipment to produce. The big question now are the small techs, they do not represent new equipment to produce in game, but it looks like at least some of them represent additional things that had to be produced (night vision etc.) or could represent higher ammunition consumption or better/new types of ammunition (support weapons, better AT?). So, do they have any drawback, like higher supply consumption or higher equipment requirements of battalions/divisions (for example infantry battalions after night vision upgrade consume 10% more supplies or need 10% more infantry equipment than basic infantry battalions), or are they just "free" after researching? Vicky 2 had this nice significant supply consumption increase as techs got better if I remember correctly.

Reactions:
very nica as always! :)

quick question to everyone here that might already be answered. at the top of the screen we have 3 counters with stars besides them. this is army experience, political power...and? what is the 3rd one? naval experience?

• * Army Experience
  • * Air Experience
  • * Naval Experince
What about those technology changes?
You already said big techs mean new equipment to produce. The big question now are the small techs, they do not represent new equipment to produce in game, but it looks like at least some of them represent additional things that had to be produced (night vision etc.) or could represent higher ammunition consumption or better/new types of ammunition (support weapons, better AT?). So, do they have any drawback, like higher supply consumption or higher equipment requirements of battalions/divisions (for example infantry battalions after night vision upgrade consume 10% more supplies or need 10% more infantry equipment than basic infantry battalions), or are they just "free" after researching? Vicky 2 had this nice significant supply consumption increase as techs got better if I remember correctly.

I think they are free, from videos about HOI4, the support weapons only give like 5% modifier per level, the big things are the big techs but these do cost.

It do feel a bit strange that you can't research support weapons to a higher level then 1942 and the two anti tank research are in a line before but then no more advancement is made in this area for some reason.

Maybe a 1944 level support equipment and a 1940 and a 1945 level anti tank equipment should be added while removing one of the current anti tank tech.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I remember last year you guys were against flag changes. What happened? Or is that going to be a future DD?

To have a good and flexible civil war mechanic, we needed the V2-flag/name system for nations.

Reactions:
#1 How does equipment take damage in combat? (Is it just manpower that takes damage and if manpower falls below a percentage the equipment is lost?)
#2 Presumably a battalion with 50% equipment only gets 50% of it's combat stats. (Or is it non-linear?) What about a Division though? If a mixed intantry / tank Division has Infantry Battalions with 100% equipment and Tanks at 0% equipment would they get no stats benefit from the tank Battalion?
#3 Can you capture enemy equipment? Would be nice to see Germans using captured French tanks for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: