Hearts of Iron IV - 17th Development Diary - 12th of June 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello everyone and welcome back to the Hearts of Iron IV development diary series. Now that we are officially at approved alpha, and are now moving forward towards a beta milestone in the end of the year.

Last week we had an event in Old Windsor in England, where 20 different journalists and youtubers had a chance to play the game together with us. Their experiences can be seen in various articles, podcasts and videos that have been linked in the forums this week.

From our end, it was very scary in the weeks before it.
When we had originally committed to this event, the game was supposed to launch on June 6th, so we had been counting on having a fully finished game for them to play. But during the late autumn, and early winter we realised that this was not going to be the case, as I was not satisfied with the project, and we had to postpone alpha submissions to redo features that just didn’t cut it.

We still had the event scheduled, and when we reached the point of no return for planning, we had a late Q3 release in our minds, so it would work out like the EU4 multiplayer event.

Except we fell further behind…

Four weeks before the event everything with units and equipment was entirely in flux, the game crashed regularly, and the multiplayer went OOS pretty much instantly.

Not looking so stellar… and very much a big worry.

Except, when the going gets tough, the Hearts of Iron IV team kicks ASS!

The version we brought to the event had only a crash every 50 hours of playing, and we had not a single out of sync issue while playing multiplayer with 20 to 22 computers for two full days.

I am so proud of what we achieved so far, and the game we had, while still rough around the edges, was more playable and fun than HoI3 ever managed to become.

As you noticed from the articles from the event, we had changed some things the press had seen at PDXCon in January, and even more has changed since our original announcement. This is the nature of gamedevelopment, where you sometimes have to change things that do not work our well. Back in the old days, we never changed features, nor iterated on interfaces, and basically sold the game as soon as we had finished working on all things.
For Hearts of Iron 4, we are now reworking naval transportation, air management, & peace-resolution mechanics amongst other things we are not happy with. Of Course, we’re doing quite alot of balance and interface improvements.

Next week there will not be a development diary, as friday is the most holy of days of the year, as we celebrate Midsummer here in Sweden. Then as we are Swedes, we’ll have to spend a few weeks relaxing when the Sun is up for more than a few hours a day, or we go crazy and start building boats and go axe-murdering & pillaging our neighboring countries.

So we’ll have development diaries at the 26th of June, 3rd of July, and 14th of August, but after the 14th, we will have weekly development diaries until Christmas.

In the next development diary, we’ll be talking about how to design and build your armies.

And here is a screenshot of my glorious planned invasion of Da9l at QA’s Germany just now in this afternoons MP test.

n766vhj.jpg

15 divisions will advance north towards the Rhein, and cross it to take Frankfurt, while another 15 divisions of brave french soldiers will show elan as they sweep aside the teuton defenders on their way to take Stuttgart. After Stuttgart falls, they split into two pushes, one towards Nuremburg, and one towards Munich.

Reactions:
First! Thankful that Paradox still cares about its games so much, to put all of this effort into testing and fixing things that might not be up to par. Keep up the great work and enjoy Midsummer!

Diary 16 or 17?

Hopefully, you're working on a "fix" for France being able to invade Germany in 1936!?!

Last edited:
Reactions:
And here is a screenshot of my glorious planned invasion of Da9l at QA’s Germany just now in this afternoons MP test.

n766vhj.jpg

haha ;D considering we havent attacked yet I will make sure he doesnt read the diary ;D

Reactions:
Its nice, to get a proper status update - unlike that one sentence info, that you sometines give us.

Now give us a real DD! :)

Based on what you wrote, I expect release in late Q1 2016. :(

Reactions:
Reactions:
You're late... but I'll forgive you! :D

Duritz.

Thanks for the dd johan!!! :) now everyone can read and understand the reasons of the delay! We didn't get many info about a single feature of the game, but with the press articles and the vid of quill 18 i discovered a lot. Keep up the good work and enjoy your holidays!!!:)

Heee....you will never conquer Stuttgart *dig in Bonus 30+*

This is a very nice insight into where you where and are at. And very good news to hear no Alpha approved.

Please, keep in mind that everyone isn't so oral english friendly, so a written DD is still expected here, as I can't understand what the guys say in their vid. And I would like to discover new features, or something, you know ;)

Please, keep in mind that everyone isn't so oral english friendly, so a written DD is still expected here, as I can't understand what the guys say in their vid. And I would like to discover new features, or something, you know ;)

I see what you mean. In any case, I don't think Quill18 said anything particularly interesting and/or completely new for those who've been reading the DDs. :)

Reactions:
So this happened an hour later...

6Y2kNpM.jpg

Johan charged across the Maginot line after Germany went for Czechoslovakia after they rejected Germanys ultiamtum, but UK did not want to support them and things turned agaisnt him quickly... however he just ran back into his office saying "War is not over yet!"

Reactions:
I don't understand how air regions works. What I will have to do that my planes cover only above my land troops , or I just want that my Air Force support only my main ground atack direction if for example I don't have enough planes for that region and I don't want that they were smeared over all territory of this region?

Reactions: