• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HoI3 Writing Contest - Top 5

• Watch out for vegetables... by cocodtim

Votes: 16 7,0%
  • Fall Weiss by demokratickid

Votes: 35 15,3%
  • Doktor Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Hun by Llywelyn

Votes: 45 19,7%
  • OUR LADY of SORROWS - The Seven Tragedies of Poland by robw963

Votes: 62 27,1%
  • Here is Europe as the cool empire of P0L4ND!!! by Storm501

Votes: 71 31,0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fifty excellent entries so far.. how many more do you expect? :)
The more the better, but I want to read 50 finished AARs. I don't want to read 500 words only to find our that the author forgot to finish :p

In all honesty I think the first estimate of how many entries we would get was about 20-50, so we are actually pretty close to that estimate.

Au contraire, my friend. Those simple screenshots offered a multitude of writing possibilities, as the varied entries point to.

Ment lenght wise. Indeed, I think while most people did it from Poland's view point, myself and a few others did Germany's.

Including the captions and those three very special little words at the end, mine is exactly 1500 words. I may tweak it some, but it's pretty much done.

I don't think that gets you any bonus points :rofl:

The 1500 words or the fact that you'll only get the pleasure of seeing me continue my work if I get my game for free? :confused:

The more the better, but I want to read 50 finished AARs. I don't want to read 500 words only to find our that the author forgot to finish :p

In all honesty I think the first estimate of how many entries we would get was about 20-50, so we are actually pretty close to that estimate.

You're right. Fifity is indeed the number we had hoped for. Altough I was very happy when we 'breached' the 18 barrier of last contest.

@comagoosie:I am suprised at how many people haven't finished yet! We're in the final countdown!
@dag231: Fifty excellent entries so far.. how many more do you expect?
@c:The more the better, but I want to read 50 finished AARs. I don't want to read 500 words only to find our that the author forgot to finish
@oam: Mine is technicaly finished. We don't have much to work with.

There's plenty to work with, but I don't think commy was complaining that these aren't complete AARs - of course they aren't: we only have 1500 words. It's that there are still so many that end with I'll edit this later.

Dub came back and added his in, but there're still 2 like this on the front page, 3 on the second, mine on the third. In my defense, they... eh... improved the rules so that my first plan couldn't be used.

It's only my one vote, but I'm with Com - if they're still that way on the 5th, I'll just skip the ones that say they're coming back later to improve the story. Similarly with the over and under on word count, just to fit with the rules of the contest.

As for Dub's entry:

Zachodcompletefinal.jpg

[size=-1]The Polish General Staff's most basic map of the western front, indicating awesomeness.[/size]​

You made this yourself? Awesome.

Excellent mix of tactics and character development. Realistic. Compelling. Left out the diplomatic angle, but there's a word limit and this meeting wouldn't spare much time on the thought (if only because the alternative to France and England honoring their commitments would have been too horrible to think about). Only complaint/suggestion is that with the typewriter font you're using the captions on the pics are so small as to be illegible, at least on my browser. You might want to bring them up a notch.

Last edited:
@comagoosie:I am suprised at how many people haven't finished yet! We're in the final countdown!
@dag231: Fifty excellent entries so far.. how many more do you expect?
@c:The more the better, but I want to read 50 finished AARs. I don't want to read 500 words only to find our that the author forgot to finish
@oam: Mine is technicaly finished. We don't have much to work with.

There's plenty to work with, but I don't think commy was complaining that these aren't complete AARs - of course they aren't: we only have 1500 words. It's that there are still so many that end with I'll edit this later.

Dub came back and added his in, but there're still 2 like this on the front page, 3 on the second, mine on the third. In my defense, they... eh... improved the rules so that my first plan couldn't be used.

It's only my one vote, but I'm with Com - if they're still that way on the 5th, I'll just skip the ones that say they're coming back later to improve the story. Similarly with the over and under on word count, just to fit with the rules of the contest.

There are a few like that, but still good reads and some excellent imagination at work. Much like the ones that are short on substance, but stunning in terms of presentation (the ones with screenies galore).

Only complaint/suggestion is that with the typewriter font you're using the captions on the pics are so small as to be illegible, at least on my browser. You might want to bring them up a notch.

Garamond non-italicized seems to do the trick for me. Thanks for the heads-up, and feel free to tell me if it still needs tweaking.

Oh, and thanks for the ego boost for the pics. I hear each one's worth a thousand words. Hope they don't count against the word limit. :D

Most of the screens were edited in some way, some more subtle than others. I'm also pleased with the Battle of Poznan pic.

EDIT: And now I've taken the images out of the indented sections. My miniAAR is now viewable on all standard* monitors!

*1280 pixel width resolution or greater

Last edited:
Done. 1200 words with another 300 in the pictures. I was hoping to claim 'The first humor HOI3 AAR ever!' but apparently two other AAR's beat me to it :D. Ah well.

-Laurence

Done. 1200 words with another 300 in the pictures. I was hoping to claim 'The first humor HOI3 AAR ever!' but apparently two other AAR's beat me to it :D. Ah well.
(picture here)

-Laurence

Yeah I liked yours.

With the word count, I had about 400, and seriously didn't know what to add. Then I got a burst of creativity, and wound up around 650.

*1280 pixel width resolution or greater

Speaking of monitors, guys, please give me some feedback here or via PM to let me know how the new format* looks on your monitors.

People can zoom with CTRL+, but better if it just shows up right the first time.

*Feedback on the writing welcome, too, but now that I know I can fit the ending, I should Polish it up some more.

Last edited:

Mine is a little more than 500 words and finished. I've never been the wordy type, always got good grades for what I wrote though. Probably not nearly as good as some of the greats writers on this site, but I entered for the fun.:) A prize would be a bonus, not probable perhaps, but it would be great if I came out in the higher half.:cool:

Speaking of monitors, guys, please give me some feedback here or via PM to let me know how the new format* looks on your monitors.

People can zoom with CTRL+, but better if it just shows up right the first time.

*Feedback on the writing welcome, too, but now that I know I can fit the ending, I should Polish it up some more.
That's waaaay too wide on my monitor.

Well, that's certainly a novel way of doing it. On my 1680x1050 screen, some of the text still spills over. Your gratuitous use of the
tags are your biggest problem- once you get rid of all of those, your post will almost fit my screen. Just trim the pictures a little, maybe use narrower margins for your text, and you should be good to go.

I think it's Polished up quite enough. ;)

I checked again from my home laptop, Llywelyn, and it looks much better. You may have already taken dublish's advice. Either way, what you have now works perfectly.

Your gratuitous use of the
tags are your biggest problem- once you get rid of all of those​

Does that mean my entry looks silly as well?

Llywelyn's looks nice and home or at work.​