• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Meneth

Would the HoI IV wiki be able to cover mods? I'm not au fait with Paradox wikis, so I'm curious whether promotion of community content is considered acceptable. I'm just thinking a synopsis, a few screenshots, and perhaps a link to the mod thread and Steam page. As I say, this is all fairly new to me so I don't know if this is considered the done thing, but it strikes me as being mutually beneficial.

Also, if he's interested and can find the time, I'd propose @Axe99 to whip up some naval stuff for the Wiki.

Reactions:
I'd be happy to have a look and see what was needed. That said, I'm very reluctant to add anything unless I'm 100 % sure (as I would want the Wiki to be right if I used it) that what I'm writing is accurate, so the only thing I have added so far was a tiny addition somewhere in the modding section (as it was something I'd used, so knew it worked). Game mechanics are a little trickier to talk about, as they involved formulas and functions that are nigh-on-impossible to backwards engineer without knowing what's going on behind the scenes, so for a lot of stuff the best I'd be able to do would be 'broad' statements, rather than anything precise.

Edit: Just had a gander then - I could add in some stuff for the statistical explanation? The general discussion of naval combat looks pretty well fleshed out already.

Last edited:
Would the HoI IV wiki be able to cover mods? I'm not au fait with Paradox wikis, so I'm curious whether promotion of community content is considered acceptable. I'm just thinking a synopsis, a few screenshots, and perhaps a link to the mod thread and Steam page. As I say, this is all fairly new to me so I don't know if this is considered the done thing, but it strikes me as being mutually beneficial.
If you feel a page for your mod would be useful, feel free to make one, yes.

Ah, I wasn't actually going to advertise my own mod, but thanks for your reply. :)

Stuff explaining what mods do and the like isn't necessarily a bad idea - it can help players who aren't about the forums get an idea of things they might want to try :).

That said, I'm very reluctant to add anything unless I'm 100 % sure (as I would want the Wiki to be right if I used it) that what I'm writing is accurate, so the only thing I have added so far was a tiny addition somewhere in the modding section (as it was something I'd used, so knew it worked). Game mechanics are a little trickier to talk about, as they involved formulas and functions that are nigh-on-impossible to backwards engineer without knowing what's going on behind the scenes, so for a lot of stuff the best I'd be able to do would be 'broad' statements, rather than anything precise.

I feel the same way about wanting 100% certainty, but advising of pitfalls and uncertainties is often more important to a player. Even a dev statement can turn out mistaken since the game mechanics might not be working as they expect, or might differ from what the player might reasonably expect from the labels, tooltips and other pieces of information provided.

Notes on such anomalies are very useful to players and help avoid time wasted attempting the impossible, or undesirable.

General information is of course also useful, as is the results of game research into how the game mechanics actually work (e.g., various lend-lease and expeditionary force features have been investigated, as have combat interactions). It is of course important to distinguish hypotheses supported by evidence from certainties.

In writing game manuals in the past and now wiki work I tend to add things I find very useful, especially for a first-time reader, such as quick reference tables for doctrines allowing easy visual comparisons of modifiers, or writing out in detail what the many UI features in a window do. Including concise indubitable hints and best practices is also helpful for players as there are many things that can easily be overlooked in HOI4.

Reactions:
YOUR INPUT re TERMINOLOGICAL CONSISTENCY?

Some terms are easy - "Commander" as a generic term covering Generals and Field Marshals (and in some cases Admirals) is useful. Some cause continual confusion....

TERMINOLOGY FOR DIVISION COMPONENTS

PROPOSAL: The Wiki technical term for each of the 5 columns of line units shall is a "Regiment" and each of such Regiment column's components is a "Battalion", while the support row units are each a "Company"".

The term "Brigade" may be part of a division's formal or informal name or template title but as game terminology is used only informally. Example: to identify a division of one or two regiments and potentially various attachments or a force of similar size. Many prewar colonial divisions are brigade-sized. "Brigade" also arises in the context of "Fire Brigade" forces and was used then, and much more today, as a term for tactical units that might consist of a single arm and might include attachments of supporting arms.

RATIONALE: While varied historical terminology and names can be used to identify units in-game, the terminology used in the Wiki and to discuss game mechanics (and in game tooltips/UI labels) should be consistent to avoid the confusion (legitimate historically) caused by the use of "Brigade" and "Regiment" interchangeably for Regiments and of "Regiment" and "Battalion" for Battalions because of differences in organization and terminology among the English-speaking countries and other regions.

Brigades often were formed of one or more regiments (e.g., the 2 brigades (each of 2 regiments) that made up "square" WW1-style divisions, and in some cases in WW2 and more often in more modern times a "Brigade" connotes a tactical formation of of one or more regiments, typically with attachments, and may be employed as what in HOI4 is a (small) division. For purposes of game discussions, it remains useful informal nomenclature for a small division with a special role or composition.

ADDITIONAL WORK: The terms might be usefully defined in a glossary or index associated with the Wiki.

I or someone else will go through methodically to change the references to match.

Reactions:
Proposed changes made based on Wiki phrase search.

National focus trees are still a mess. Poland has no effects listed for them, neither does most of the US tree nor some of the German, Italian, and Soviet ones as well. Also don't have complete breakdowns for both the 1936 and the 1939 starting units and factories on all countries either.

I'd make some fixes myself instead of just complaining but my brother happens to have our copy of the game. Is anyone still updating the wiki?