• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Meneth any chance you'd be willing to install semantic MediaWiki? Given the statistical nature of HOI4, I think it would help in structuring the data better. If you are not familiar, pls take a look.

On another note, the current wiki is lacking many templates (info boxes, notes, needs citation and the like). If you would like, I can send you a number of them, I'm not sure regular users can add templates. We could also consider making some templates, for example equipment, unit, and country infobox. Would really shine sitting on top of SMW.

Lastly, should consider installing a better editor. I believe general lack of knowledge and or fear of wikitext is holding back a lot of contribs.

Just ideas, let me know what you think man. Thanks.

Regular users can add templates and a number of the infoboxes may well exist on the other wikis in the network. If you want to copy them from EU4 or build ones which fit into the existing system then go right ahead.

Reactions:
If you want to copy them from EU4 or build ones which fit into the existing system then go right ahead.

Sure. I'll dig into it. Pls let me know on semantic if you guys decide to go ahead with it (or not), I use it at my work every day and I'm a fan, but I get if its too much. Having it vs. not having it will influence direction on some of the stuff I'd like to do, so will wait to hear. Thanks again.

@Meneth any chance you'd be willing to install semantic MediaWiki? Given the statistical nature of HOI4, I think it would help in structuring the data better. If you are not familiar, pls take a look.
I'd need to know what Semantic MW does that'd specifically be useful. It isn't obvious from a cursory look at it.

why in the F is there no explanation as to how the air combat works in detail? yeah great the wiki can be fleshed out over time but ffs paradox stop being lazy and at least give us a comprehensive explanation as to how the air combat mechanics work.

As of this moment players aren't even sure if 6 or 8 wings count towards air combat values and on top of that the close air support is total mystery. please explain this in detail since air combat is easily one of the most sloppy parts of hearts of iron 4 not to mention overly complicated.

I could get into a lot of things about the air combat, like the lack of experience overall for pilots (which should be huge factor). the ace thing is nice but really a band aid on a sucking chest wound.

Reactions:
There are people describing their research into game mechanics in various threads. There is a detailed one on air combat.

The wiki is a giant maze of interconnected info like the Internet. Suppose someone addicted to manuals wanted to read it through once, is there a page numbering/ordering scheme, index, or something serving as a map that would allow them to read everything?

The categories page seems like more of a working tool for management of elements of the wiki such as icons, boxes, broken pages, etc than for finding info. For example, suppose I'm a naive user and I find Law Icons, but not a listing for laws, nor a link from the icons to the laws more of a management tool for inter.

If the random page function is truly random and covers everything, then I assume doing that continually until there is a long run of pages (depending on the confidence interval) already seen appears probably gets all or nearly all the pages, although if there is a function limiting random pages to those not seen in current form that could be much more assured.

Last edited:

I've set up an Hearts of Iron 4 wiki so that info on the game, especially once it releases, can be gathered in a coherent fashion in a centralized region.
This is the 7th Paradox wiki I'm hosting, the other 6 being CKII, EU4, EU3, Vic2, HoI3, and EvW.

I hope that the wiki will grow to become a useful resource for all players once the game is released. In the meantime there should be plenty of info to add once the dev diaries start.
Right now there's not that much info there, but that should change with time.
Visit it here.

Most of the info revealed so far is collected on our features page.
There's also links info on some of the countries on the countries page.

Hey there, Im trying to help new players get over the learning curve that makes HOI4 as complex and awesome as it is. I am a new content creator on youtube and just put up a bunch of tutorials and how tos on HOI4. If you want to check it out its at:

If Im doing something right please do share my playlist with other new players. And if Im doing something wrong please do leave a comment on the video or on here so I can fix it. I want to see the HOI4 community grow and the best way is to invite new players. Thanks!!!

T

Reactions:
Can we create a site for Lets's Plays with a small description? There are quite a few out there already and it could encourage people to upload "missing" Let's Plays

Can we create a site for Lets's Plays with a small description? There are quite a few out there already and it could encourage people to upload "missing" Let's Plays
Do you mean a wiki page?

Not entirely sure the wiki would be an appropriate place for that. The closest the wikis come to that kind of thing is usually having a "Communities" page that list large communities dedicated to the game.

Not entirely sure the wiki would be an appropriate place for that. The closest the wikis come to that kind of thing is usually having a "Communities" page that list large communities dedicated to the game.
In that case, a thread in the AAR forum might be a better idea for those interested in this, provided that someone is willing to maintain it.

As Meneth mentioned, someone would have to be responsible for that other thread. Caretaking a thread is a lot of work if it is successful, and disappointing if it fails, so favors indomitability.

Is there any seperat thread for discussing the wiki? Didn't find anything. A wiki entry I editied got a rewrite request, and I humbly wanted to request help for that. :)

Is there any seperat thread for discussing the wiki? Didn't find anything. A wiki entry I editied got a rewrite request, and I humbly wanted to request help for that. :)
You can discuss the wiki in this thread, or on the talk page of the wiki page in question.

You can discuss the wiki in this thread, or on the talk page of the wiki page in question.

Is there a list of things/pages that need to be written up?

I've mostly tried to consolidate improve some types of data, like land doctrines, but I'm more uncertain about where various pages are headed or what kind of information should be put in.