Hearts of Iron 4 Subscription Service and Career Profile Updates

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MagnusPDX

Community Manager
49 Badges
Feb 19, 2020
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
heartsofiron_expansion-subscription_infographic_16x9.png

Greetings Generals!

We have two big things to talk about today so let's dive into it. First of all Hearts of Iron 4 is joining other PDX titles, and gaining an additional way to experience our catalog of DLC through a subscription model. If you have any questions about the subscription service, farther down the post there is a FAQ, and we’ll do our best to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Second, and unrelated to the subscription service, all players will have access to their “Career Profile” from the title screen in Hearts of Iron 4. This will track information about your time playing HoI, from this point forward. It will look like this!
3GEgkO9XAGPmQJID-lpxQRsOUlMyFcVBWdZ9cGXfbaxLPiAj--A3JrEpunhmp4ia95mOYgFTz7qrgdPQ4M21pliOoQLpWuHpvEx-_O70xG2KyDYv0VnSVEb5oFnNjblCLpNjjk3s

And if you own any DLC (or are currently subscribed), you will be able to see per DLC additional info, as seen here by clicking on the DLC banners at the top.
1qWbmAs5jeIpoDarL9D4xba4OU7egvaai74iG8M2-sa95ZVTPtZmjBOEP3Xss80PjHQDuZ5QSpYnQcSpYdk4zW-ndMdK587PZRXFpFqKDW56hBINQG8ozXYqWSsE2i1kkDcz7BCj

The Career Profile is entirely unrelated to the subscription service, so ALL players will have access to these infographics just by playing the game. The Career Profile will be live tomorrow, Wednesday the 16th.

Subscription Service FAQ

How do I get the subscription?

You need to own the base game only, then simply purchase game time from the Steam store page. There is also a button on the title screen that will take you there if you are not currently subscribed.

What does the subscription include?
The subscription will give you access to Together for Victory, Death or Dishonor, Waking the Tiger, Man the Guns, La Resistance, Battle for the Bosporus, No Step Back, and cosmetic DLCs. Future releases will be covered in the subscription as well.

Why a subscription?
With a plethora of DLC options to choose from, starting out from scratch can be daunting to new players. This is an affordable way for players to experience the entire HoI4 catalog without having to weigh which items they would prefer to purchase. This does not mean it is the only way to get DLC moving forward. The subscription service is entirely optional, and buying DLCs as you have always done is still, and always will be available.

I already bought a bunch of HoI4 DLC, will this affect me?
Nope! Nothing will change for you. You still own all your DLC and you still have the option to purchase future DLC.

What happens if I stop subscribing?
If you stop subscribing, you will lose access to any content you have not separately purchased.

I won't be playing HoI for a while, how do I cancel my subscription?
Canceling is handled through your Steam account. Visit Account Details, where you can cancel a subscription at any time. Your canceled subscription will remain active until the paid plan expires.

Will my subscription cover future DLC?

Yes! When new DLC and content packs are released, current subscription owners will have immediate access to them upon release.

What if I want to buy a DLC?
That option is still available and always will be. The subscription service is an additional option that some players may find better suited to their situation. It is in addition to, and not instead of, a normal purchase.

Can I get a refund?
If a renewable subscription has not been used during the current billing cycle, you may request a refund within 48 hours of the initial purchase or within 48 hours of any automatic renewal. Content is considered used if any games within the subscription have been played during the current billing cycle or if any benefits or discounts included with the subscription have been used, consumed, modified or transferred. More details can be found in Steams refund policy.

• 54Like
  • 7Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
So, just to extremely clarify in words, anything you can/will be able to get through the expansion pack will also be completely available without it individually?

• 2Like
Reactions:
So, just to extremely clarify in words, anything you can/will be able to get through the expansion pack will also be completely available without it individually?
if you buy a subscription. yes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
hurray hoi4 as a service!

Really tho, its 5.99 for this subscription on steam, whereas the dlc that you basically must have to not be playing a incomplete game in total is 160$ (inclusing music speech and armor packs)

sounds like a good deal to me

*EDIT* read the whole thread, it may not be such a good deal after all.:(

Last edited:
Reactions:
Cool! The subscription service won't be something that I'll use myself (probably), but it's always nice to see a game with plenty of DLCs become more accessible to new players.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have all the DLC, but I have a friend or two who bought one or two DLCs, but despair of being able or justifying the rest.
Can they use the subscription to play with the rest of the DLCs that they don't have, even though they have past the base game already?

Imagine all the people who already have thousands of hours in the game now logging in and looking at zeroes in their career stats :p

That applies to devs as well ;(

I have all the DLC, but I have a friend or two who bought one or two DLCs, but despair of being able or justifying the rest.
Can they use the subscription to play with the rest of the DLCs that they don't have, even though they have past the base game already?

The subscription will 'fill in' your catalogue, regardless of which DLCs you have purchased separately. There will be no difference in price if you own a partial sub-set of the DLC catalogue.

• 4Like
Reactions:

Greetings Generals!

We have two big things to talk about today so let's dive into it. First of all Hearts of Iron 4 is joining other PDX titles, and gaining an additional way to experience our catalog of DLC through a subscription model. If you have any questions about the subscription service, farther down the post there is a FAQ, and we’ll do our best to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Second, and unrelated to the subscription service, all players will have access to their “Career Profile” from the title screen in Hearts of Iron 4. This will track information about your time playing HoI, from this point forward. It will look like this!
3GEgkO9XAGPmQJID-lpxQRsOUlMyFcVBWdZ9cGXfbaxLPiAj--A3JrEpunhmp4ia95mOYgFTz7qrgdPQ4M21pliOoQLpWuHpvEx-_O70xG2KyDYv0VnSVEb5oFnNjblCLpNjjk3s

And if you own any DLC (or are currently subscribed), you will be able to see per DLC additional info, as seen here by clicking on the DLC banners at the top.
1qWbmAs5jeIpoDarL9D4xba4OU7egvaai74iG8M2-sa95ZVTPtZmjBOEP3Xss80PjHQDuZ5QSpYnQcSpYdk4zW-ndMdK587PZRXFpFqKDW56hBINQG8ozXYqWSsE2i1kkDcz7BCj

The Career Profile is entirely unrelated to the subscription service, so ALL players will have access to these infographics just by playing the game. The Career Profile will be live tomorrow, Wednesday the 16th.

Subscription Service FAQ

How do I get the subscription?

You need to own the base game only, then simply purchase game time from the Steam store page. There is also a button on the title screen that will take you there if you are not currently subscribed.

What does the subscription include?
The subscription will give you access to Together for Victory, Death or Dishonor, Waking the Tiger, Man the Guns, La Resistance, Battle for the Bosporus, No Step Back, and cosmetic DLCs. Future releases will be covered in the subscription as well.

Why a subscription?
With a plethora of DLC options to choose from, starting out from scratch can be daunting to new players. This is an affordable way for players to experience the entire HoI4 catalog without having to weigh which items they would prefer to purchase. This does not mean it is the only way to get DLC moving forward. The subscription service is entirely optional, and buying DLCs as you have always done is still, and always will be available.

I already bought a bunch of HoI4 DLC, will this affect me?
Nope! Nothing will change for you. You still own all your DLC and you still have the option to purchase future DLC.

What happens if I stop subscribing?
If you stop subscribing, you will lose access to any content you have not separately purchased.

I won't be playing HoI for a while, how do I cancel my subscription?
Canceling is handled through your Steam account. Visit Account Details, where you can cancel a subscription at any time. Your canceled subscription will remain active until the paid plan expires.

Will my subscription cover future DLC?
Yes! When new DLC and content packs are released, current subscription owners will have immediate access to them upon release.

What if I want to buy a DLC?
That option is still available and always will be. The subscription service is an additional option that some players may find better suited to their situation. It is in addition to, and not instead of, a normal purchase.

Can I get a refund?
If a renewable subscription has not been used during the current billing cycle, you may request a refund within 48 hours of the initial purchase or within 48 hours of any automatic renewal. Content is considered used if any games within the subscription have been played during the current billing cycle or if any benefits or discounts included with the subscription have been used, consumed, modified or transferred. More details can be found in Steams refund policy.

Will we have this Option for Vic3?

I personally would prefer that Vic3 has no DLCs at all and the entire game is subscription-based (monthly).
This allows the Devs to make much better Updates than to be limited within these DLC restrictions and dependencies.

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Will we have this Option for Vic3?

I personally would prefer that Vic3 has no DLCs at all and the entire game is subscription-based (monthly).
This allows the Devs to make much better Updates than to be limited within these DLC restrictions and dependencies
I would actually more enjoy having a choice

• 4Like
Reactions:
I would actually more enjoy having a choice

Does Eu4 offer you "more choice"? It just resulted in many isolated features that have no depth, get no updates and cna not be combined with features of other DLCs.

Instead of DLCs they could make StandAlone Updates.

The main issue for me is that the current DLC System creates a barrier between the contents of different DLCs and the main game. Instead of improving the game in its complexity together they just add more and more isolated features that lack depth. Eu4 with its dozens of DLCs has basically dozens of different versions with dozens of features that can not be connected and can not be improved in future patches.

They should release a version, patch it for a while and sell a new version with new content and repeated. This way they can focus on updating the game without being limited by DLC requirement barriers.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Does it mean that the cosmetic packs for tanks will finally work properly with the latest expansion? I mean playing as UK, the matilda model is stuck for light tank for example.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Sure, start the subscription after I bought all the main DLC in a Christmas sale.

Does Eu4 offer you "more choice"? It just resulted in many isolated features that have no depth, get no updates and cna not be combined with features of other DLCs.

Instead of DLCs they could make StandAlone Updates.

The main issue for me is that the current DLC System creates a barrier between the contents of different DLCs and the main game. Instead of improving the game in its complexity together they just add more and more isolated features that lack depth. Eu4 with its dozens of DLCs has basically dozens of different versions with dozens of features that can not be connected and can not be improved in future patches.

They should release a version, patch it for a while and sell a new version with new content and repeated. This way they can focus on updating the game without being limited by DLC requirement barriers.
That's the old model and what it means is that if you don't buy the new DLC, you stop getting patches. Even though I tend to buy DLC because I don't like holes in my game, I would be cross if I had to effectively pay for patches.

Reactions:
It's a nice idea, but another nice idea might just be lowering the prices of old DLCs or bundling more with the base game to bring complete closer to $100.

Granted there are steam sales. And the subscription price is reasonable but a lot of people are wary about subscriptions in general.

Reactions: