• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I have showed HOI or a similar computer game to a console gamer with that kind of attitude I have gotten the same response each time:
"this looks like a stupid board game, why would I play this on a computer?".
The answer is given:
Because playing a single game of HoI3 if it was a board game would probably require a 10x10meter board and 15 years of constant dice rolling :)

I think that playing hearts of iron on a console is pretty dificult. For example the manouvering of your units. And I also think that the processor on a Xbox can't handle a complicated game such as HOI.

The answer is given:
Because playing a single game of HoI3 if it was a board game would probably require a 10x10meter board and 15 years of constant dice rolling :)

we actually have a HoI3 boardgame at the office that a fan made for us :) it only covers barbarossa though if I remember correctly.

as for the XBOX game I dont know any details of how it works, but I'd imagine HoI would be one of the easier to port to console because of the AI automation. you can set AI stances and goals etc instead of trying to micro manage units.

as for the XBOX game I dont know any details of how it works, but I'd imagine HoI would be one of the easier to port to console because of the AI automation. you can set AI stances and goals etc instead of trying to micro manage units.
Not sure I'd agree it would be easy to control. Unless you are very restricted to alot of AI control and template divisions.

Now please reorganize the 300 soviet divisions adding a new artillery brigade to each of them as we just researched superior firepower, And oh... do it on a Xbox controller too :D

Well the pics look pretty detailed for a console game..
And they will have scrollbars in the land unit production screen! :blink:
med_screenlg10.jpg

Also the map looks very detailed too, so it looks that they reall try to get all the features of the original game in..
med_screenlg5.jpg

Cheers,
Chromos

yeah i remeber seeing this in the last thread, and looking over the page listed then, it had a comments section, there where a lot of people intrested. the more i looked over the info the more it looked like a working project and someone had diffenatly thought out how it was going to work.

i suspect it will be one of the those console RTS that kind of work and you can see the potential but its just a bit to much. then agian it could work who knows

Most XBox Live Arcade games are surprisingly good ports outside of some awesome originals. Because it is digital distribution, I'm sure it's a very low-cost and low-risk endeavor. But, with a little time and effort on their part, the game can be usable and fun without losing any of the features of the original. And, contrary to what others complained about, it may be easier to control using a controller in certain aspects.

First of all, it'll most likely be a full map. When you hold a trigger down on the controller, the map cursor will probably move really quick. About as quick as the screen scrolls when your mouse gets to the end of it. Releasing it your desired region slows it down for selecting that individual province without passing over it ten times in a row.

Next, toggling with the left and right bumpers between each of the screens and units on the field will be simpler than remembering a ton of hot keys (are there hot keys? I really don't even know). I know I'm annoyed and tired of moving my mouse up and down on the screen to click away messages and pause and unpause. The logical way around this would be for me to learn hot keys... but that's just a complex version of a controller. Don't bash controllers.

The game might be worth trying if it is the same except for the controller is all I'm saying. Plus, if the achievements are clever, it could add different challenges that weren't there before. In a perfect world, you'd be able to play on XBox live.

If this is true, I might as well stop following games alltogether and go back to pre 2005 stuff where games where still good and PC focused.

If this is true, I might as well stop following games alltogether and go back to pre 2005 stuff where games where still good and PC focused.
It is an adaption of HOI3 to the console by a third party company..
Paradox is all with the PC.. ;)

Cheers,
Chromos

It is an adaption of HOI3 to the console by a third party company..
Paradox is all with the PC.. ;)

Cheers,
Chromos

Which is why Paradox is my #1 developer and publisher. Sticking to their guns and developing nuanced games for the highest denominator rather than the lowest.

we actually have a HoI3 boardgame at the office that a fan made for us :) it only covers barbarossa though if I remember correctly.

Can you post here some photos of that game? I would really like to see how it looks like. Must be awesome!

Is this only available in the US or isn't it released yet? If the price is reasonable I think I might just give it try to see how difficult it is to use a controller instead of keyboard+mouse.

I'm interested in giving this game a try. My brother-in-law is a bit intimidated by the desktop and laptop "computers" but he's just fine with anything labeled as a "console." $20 for each of us to get the game would a worthwhile investment for the chance to draft my brother-in-law into the game.

I don't understand the need to bash consoles, to be honest.
each person is, of course, fully entitled to their own opinion, but I've always had great fun on consoles. still do to this day. and look at it from another angle: if XBox Live gets our favorite game more deserved recognition, that can only be good (provided it's a good port, of course, but that's another matter entirely).

re: controllers.
I have civilization on XBOX. now, whether you like the game or not is irrelevent. what matters is that I have the same level of control with it as I did in the old days playing Alpha Centauri on PC.

the only thing that troubles me about it is: HOI3 follows EVERY military unit, ANYWHERE on the world, EVEN THOSE YOU NEVER INTERACT WITH. this alone makes it highly unlikely that the console version would be anywhere as good as the real thing.

I might try it out sometime, and if it s***s, forget about its very existence.

Well the pics look pretty detailed for a console game..
And they will have scrollbars in the land unit production screen! :blink:
med_screenlg10.jpg

Also the map looks very detailed too, so it looks that they reall try to get all the features of the original game in..
med_screenlg5.jpg

Cheers,
Chromos

Hehe, you never fail to mention scrollbars do you.

I tried searching for it earlier tonight, but came out with nothing. guess it's not ready yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.