• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, you changed HOI3 to another level. It can be considered as another expansion pack. I have the same question with jju_57 , Is the mod compatible to FTM?

The difficulty balance may be another concern to the players, since I am not an expect gamer also, I tried HOI2 before and I have no mood and time to do that micro-management in battlefield. The new battle AI in HOI3 gives me a lot of fun. It will be a bit discouraging if a newbie/normal player cannot win in normal difficulty setting.

This looks pretty interesting - do you plan to have any ahistorical events such as German total economic mobilisation in 1939? I find it very irritating in vanilla that Germany maxes out in IC laws in 1939, when in reality, it was only 1942-3 before this really happened. Are you planning to have this? Keep up the good work!

Have a better look at the decision's panel screenshots. Don't you see a Totalen Krieg speech one? I bet this is EXACTLY for the purpose you are asking for. ;)
This is a step on the harder difficulty stuff: Germany can't achieve Total Economic Mobilisation before some pretty nasty conditions are met (not controlling moscow in 43, or losing 20% of its core territory are some of them).

Btw where can i buy this and for how much? (maybe stupid question but nvm)

And will you fix Strength and Organisation so that it will have impact on Division stats? For ex. 50% Strength Division can do only half of damage and has half of defense,toughness etc.,as 100% strength division (both have same organisation,techs etc) also Low Organisation should lower effectivness of division.

We can't change the strength and org thing, this is how the engine works and we can't change the engine, this is up to PI. I won't call this a "fix", though, because this is not broken. This is the way things work in all the wargames I know (even if I kinda like the idea of linking strength to stats).

What if Germany defeats Allied Troops, invade that province, controls/occupies it. German troops will recieve the African terrain defence bonus. When the Allied troops try to counter attack or regain lost territory. They will have no change because the Afrika Korps recieves the bonusses added in their *.brigade file and the defence bonus added to the African terrain type. Is this correct or am I wrong?

You are correct, however the commandoes units (mountain, marines, paratroopers) have some bonus with the desert equipment tech. I just checked and actually I already made this 88 guns units we talked about: this is the vanilla AT brigade that gain african terrain bonus with this tech. :)
In my tests, with three divisions (two armored one motorized) I didn't manage to win in Africa due to supply limitations (the Allies are sinking all the Italian convoys). I'll see how the first play reports go and I can easily add an AI tech to give it some bonuses in order to stand against the player if needed. I have a mind that is easy to change when the arguments are fine, so I wouldn't worry much about this if I were you.

I have two questions for you.

1) I know you are done making this so why can't we buy it now?
2) In FTM PI has said they are going to change how defensiveness/toughness works. We also know it doesn't work right now. How does this DLC handle this bug? Will the DLC have to change once FTM comes out if PI changes defense/toughness?

I do have a third question. Why do you want me to send my money. :)

1. Paradox just received it yesterday at 11pm, let them breathe. ;)
2. The DLC will be made compatible with FTM, including any change they might add to the game. The "bug" will be easy to handle since I guess I'll just have to balance the def/though of the new units in proportions with the vanilla ones.

3. I don't understand your question. But if you want to send money feel free. :p

Haha you are posting to quickly. :D

The difficulty balance may be another concern to the players, since I am not an expect gamer also, I tried HOI2 before and I have no mood and time to do that micro-management in battlefield. The new battle AI in HOI3 gives me a lot of fun. It will be a bit discouraging if a newbie/normal player cannot win in normal difficulty setting.

AI was set on all levels. If you manage technology and production yourself you can pretty much achieve anything you want I guess. :)
If you lose on normal difficulty I'd recommend you to try the easy one, since I added a lot of stuff about the difficulty we can see it as a normal one, while the normal becomes hard etc.

Looks great!

Just a question: will we have as many technologies as in I.C.E. ?

Thanks

You have almost the same number of techs than in vanilla. We deleted some, we added some. For instance, I know that some people will be happy to see that we have merged all the infantry techs (militia, cav, infantry) into 4 components only.

--edit: jju_57 you can always send money to devildread gmail com via paypal but that won't make you have the DLC earlier. :D

Last edited:
Do defensive/toughness matter in this DLC? For example you changed the files where there are actually misses or are they still worthless to research till FTM comes out?

In the Semper Fi version it will be like Semper Fi and in the For The Motherland version it will be like For The Motherland. As I said in the last dev diary comments, we didn't change any game mechanics. :)

Thanks, I did notice a Totaler Krieg decision, finally we'll get a more realistic game without masses of IC to use! How are you planning to simulate the Volksturm during the late war? Also, will there be any special units that Germany developed towards the end of the war? :)

Haha you are posting to quickly. :D

AI was set on all levels. If you manage technology and production yourself you can pretty much achieve anything you want I guess. :)
If you lose on normal difficulty I'd recommend you to try the easy one, since I added a lot of stuff about the difficulty we can see it as a normal one, while the normal becomes hard etc.

You have almost the same number of techs than in vanilla. We deleted some, we added some. For instance, I know that some people will be happy to see that we have merged all the infantry techs (militia, cav, infantry) into 4 components only.

--edit: jju_57 you can always send money to devildread gmail com via paypal but that won't make you have the DLC earlier. :D

Again thank you for answering the questions!;-)

+ new screen with two new units: Luftwaffe field Infantry and Jäger Infantry. Very nice!

I hope PI releases it tomorrow;-), but I think that is wishfull thinking :D

I have to say...

[*]Operation planning
The player has access to several "technologies/doctrines" abstractly representing the generals drawing plans of the area, local tactics planning and in general having some people of your staff working on the subject.

Brilliant. As a strategy game, we should have strategic orders that we have to issue, like drawing up war plans, to our general staff. Great immersion and historical connection. I love it.

[*]Operational units
The other part we want to introduce is the Operational Units feature. We created an Afrika Korps Operational tech that activate four units: Afrika Korps infantry, Afrika Korps motorized infantry, Afrika Korps mechanized infantry and Afrika Korps armor.

Outstanding idea. I have always wanted to be able to have specially prepared units for specific operational theaters. This makes all the sense in the world for a strategic war game. Now, I would love to see counters uniquely distinguish these units in some way so that I can keep track of them properly.

A-Historical chances:
... In vanilla HOI3, Germany has basically 4 decisions to take before the war: Remilitarization of the Rhineland, Anschluss of Austria, Treaty of Munich and first Vienna Award.
We wanted to make you actually think about what your are doing.

If only PI understood what you guys understand: decisions need cost/benefit! Great work.

DI:G provides a lot of a-historical possibilities. I can't share all of them but I want to show one more.
In HOI3, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact is not mandatory and you can simply avoid the pact and be sure Soviet Union won't stab you while you are in France or while you are preparing your forces. With the DLC this is not true anymore.

You guys are getting everything right on target: focusing on what matters for a ww2 strategy game! I love it!

I can't wait to see what you are doing with u-boats!

It is looking like the smartest thing Paradox has done with the Hearts of Iron 3 game is bringing you guys into the fold.

Question -- in this DLC you can only play as Germany; how will that work? Will it be a DLC selection on the load screen of a vanilla HoI3 game? Will it need any/all of the previous DLCs to work (including For the Motherland!)?

In the selection screen you will see German flag only. You can of course pickup any other country but the DLC is meant to be played as Germany, otherwise it will break the campaign.
It needs at least Semper Fi to work and is not compatible with any other mod or DLC that may exist.

looking really, really good
im intrigued by the "Tobruk Fortress" 'unit' aswell

I spoil you: this is a vanilla unit, I didn't change anything for that one.

:rolleyes:

A Georg Elser event!!! What a guy, nice to see him recognised.

Always wondered why the attempts on Hitler's life weren't modelled. Way to go guys!

I really like the way you have to use the upgrade button to make the Afrika Korps.

I just wonder why you didn't add more units to the Afrika Korps upgrade. Tiger I's were use in Africa, not many. But the few that were there were very feared by the Allies. So a heavy Armor Afrika Korps brigade would be justified.
The same for Anti-tank Brigade. The Germans used the 88-mm with great succes in Afrika, while the British had to do it with their 2 and 6 pounders.

Why 3 types of Afrika Korps Infantry? Wouldn't it be better to have only 1 Afrika Infantry brigade which is a mix of motorized and mechanized Infantry??
Than some support brigades could be added so you can make more interesting Divisions. AA/Engineers/AT/Armoured Car....

Tigers weren't sent to Afrika until late '42/early 43. They were sent to Tunisia, not to Libya (The Axis no longer controlled Libya). Quite a different landscape. Also, I'm pretty sure it was limited to 1 company (and if not 1 company, only one battallion)

3 types of infantry? Because it's necessary to represent the different units that were sent to Africa over time. The 164th Division was equipped quite differently compared to the 90th light, and the motorized reg. in the Pz. divisions were unlike either. Not sure if this is how they implement it, just my ideas.

Having an AK version of AT/ACs/Engs would be nice though.

You have almost the same number of techs than in vanilla. We deleted some, we added some. For instance, I know that some people will be happy to see that we have merged all the infantry techs (militia, cav, infantry) into 4 components only. :D

Loved seeing a separate tech for Jäger infantry, and combining the mil/cav/inf techs into one tree is nice too.

OT: Finally, plausible a-historical outcomes! Choices that can have real implications! I can't wait. :eek:

What about question 2 which asked about defensive/toughness bug and FTM?

Also meant WHERE to send my money not why. Sorry.

Oh...well the DLC is not out yet, so there's nowhere to send the money yet. Heh, unless you're absolutely insisting on letting some go, that can always be arranged. ;) Hehe.

About vanilla bugs and such, we've changed the vanilla mechanics via modding, that is we don't have access to code and such, so such things we really can't fix. But hey, great if it's addressed in FTM. :)

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Always wondered why the attempts on Hitler's life weren't modelled. Way to go guys!

Tigers weren't sent to Afrika until late '42/early 43. They were sent to Tunisia, not to Libya (The Axis no longer controlled Libya). Quite a different landscape. Also, I'm pretty sure it was limited to 1 company (and if not 1 company, only one battallion)

3 types of infantry? Because it's necessary to represent the different units that were sent to Africa over time. The 164th Division was equipped quite differently compared to the 90th light, and the motorized reg. in the Pz. divisions were unlike either. Not sure if this is how they implement it, just my ideas.

Having an AK version of AT/ACs/Engs would be nice though.

Loved seeing a separate tech for Jäger infantry, and combining the mil/cav/inf techs into one tree is nice too.

OT: Finally, plausible a-historical outcomes! Choices that can have real implications! I can't wait. :eek:

About the Tiger I, yes there were few Tiger I in Africa, but the few that were there were used in North-Africa to a great effect. The point is that how the Afrika Korps works is that any other unit than the 4 Afrika Korps units (Infantry/Mot Inf/Mech Inf and Armour) will suck in N-Africa. So if the player wants to send a heavy armour brigade to Africa, it will be ineffective. While historically they weren't.
Yes, the 164. and 90. Divisions were differently equiped, but as it is now. You can only make divisions consisting out 4 types of brigades, were of 3 brigades are of the same class.

You argument that those division were composed different is true, but also were the few panzer-divisions... So why is the Afrika Korps Armour abstracted, but the infantery exists out of 3 infantry types. Instead of one abstracted infantry brigade?

I fail to see why it matters that they were send to Lybia or Tunisia, For me both are in North-Africa....

Thanks, I did notice a Totaler Krieg decision, finally we'll get a more realistic game without masses of IC to use! How are you planning to simulate the Volksturm during the late war? Also, will there be any special units that Germany developed towards the end of the war? :)

Volkssturm is implemetend via a decision to raise manpower and manpower income at the cost of global IC.
Late special units will be treated in the next Dev Diary I think. Stay tuned. ;)