• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jedrek

Chronicler of the Light
61 Badges
Aug 21, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Heartland - Uzbek ExtraWATK AAR

Welcome everybody!

Well... The Swedish AAR is dead. Mostly because after some games in Mod34 and Kaiserreich I find it veeery difficult to tolerate vanilla HoI2, not to mention playing it ;) But this time I've decided to play an already modded game, checking previously that I already had the newest version installed. So, hopefully, I'll manage to do something more than just introduction.

First, some technical data:
Game: EU2 + Extra WATK 0.60
Scenario: Grand Campaign (1419)

Rules:
- Monarch roleplay (no miraculous diplomacy when DIP skill is 2, or brilliant military campaings with crippled MIL<3 guys)
- No breaking peace treaties
- Should occasion arise, custom events and/or leaders may be added.
- New rules may be added during gameplay

Goals:
- Finish the game
- Finish the AAR
- And something more realistic - to visit Mars within less than 5 years ;)
- Apart from that - nothing

So, let's start!

Last edited:
Index
Introduction
I: Splintering
II: Unwelcome peace
III: First strike
IV: Interrupted preparations

Introduction

shootbackcd7.jpg

The Uzbeks are the people of the Great Asian Steppe, simmilarly to many other Turkish tribes, or the fearsome Mongols themselves. Their migration began in the 13th century, just after Genghis-Khan's grand army rolled across the plains. Their former inhabitants - belonging to the Iranian peoples - have been either exterminated or forced to flee, leaving vaccum for the invaders to settle in.

The death of Genghis-Khan and the following decline of his empire resulted in decentralisation. For Uzebks, this meant a limited independence within the second most successful Mongol state - the Golden Horde. An elected khan assumed controll over the steppe between the Caspian Sea and lake Balquash. However, a tribute still had to be paid to the khan in Sarai.

This gave the Uzbeks protection when the powerful Tamerlane decided to expand in the wake of the 14th century... But now, with the dreadful despot gone and the Golden Horde seemingly approaching the greatest crisis in her history, it may turn out that a new power vaccum will appear in Central Asia. One that has to be filled quickly by the most skilled - and lucky - warlord.

Some mountain prophets believe that the desolate, sun-burnt steppe of the Uzbeks is the centre of the mysterious Heartland of the world. According to their words, the one who manages to control the Heartland will prove himself capable of ruling the whole world, for the God will give him his blessing.

Are those beliefs anything more than dreams of opium-addicted fanatics?

Last edited:
An Uzbek AAR nice. Does ExtraWATK have many events for the Uzbeks? I used it for my Chagatai AAR and there were barely any.

I knew it, I just knew it, MacKinder stole his ideas from the Uzbeks all along! :rolleyes:

Well, luckily, nobody will be able to invent flight by the time you end the game. Good luck!

I

The splintering

screensave0xb2.png

The Uzbek domain as of 1419

In 1419 it became apparent that the end of the Golden Horde comes quicker than anyone would have expected. A number of intrigues brought this once powerful empire to the verge of a civil war. With Ulugh Muhammad struggling for power against fellow warlords Dawlat Beri and Baraq, it seemed inevitable that the Horde will weaken even further, loosing her grip on two frontier hordes - Sibir and Uzbek.

screensave1gx9.png

The Golden Horde with her subjects

However, some circumstances still protected the country from ultimate splintering. Sibir, located in the remote regions of transuralian steppe, was too weak to openly challenge her masters, while the Uzbeks, ruled by an incompetent Baraq Khan, had enough difficulties with maintaining peace in their own domain.

Simmilarly to the Tartars, the Uzbeks have largely abandoned the nomadic lifestyle of their ancestors, establishing a series of small towns, with Karaganda functioning as a capital. Primary source of income, however, remained the same; raids against the neighbours, with sheepherding and trade remaining second and somewhat less respected. Nevertheless, the undeveloped society prospered quite well within such system, and it seemed that no changes should be made.

Infighting within the Golden Horde caused some tribes to flee the dangerous territories. In 1421 one such group, coming from the vicinity of Astrakhan, offered their services to Uzbeki Baraq. In fact, this decision was barely altruistic; should the khan refuse, the frustrated and starving nomads would wreck the border, causing great chaos and destruction. Seeing this as an opportunity to strengthen the army, Baraq decided that extra taxes should be collected for the next five years, so that the nomads could be paid for. This, however, put a great strain on the economy and could easily result in a catastrophy, should anything go wrong.

Luckily, that was not the case. The newly acquired allies became a great asset, even though their different customs and fighting techniques weakened the unity of khan's forces. Their greatest succes was a raid on a Chinese caravan, travelling across the Pamir Mountains, East of Uzbeks' domain. The merchants carried tons of golden coins and jewelry, a number of rubies and sapphires, as well as some examples of Chinese weaponary and armour. The khan praised the raiders, allowing them to keep half of the spoil. The rest was delivered to Baraq himself, and used to decorate his palace and equip his personal guards. Some jewels have been sold to Samarkand, and the money acquired was used to bring the economy back to balance.

In winter months of 1427 Baraq died, probably assasinated by his political rivals. One of his most skilled leaders (and probable mastermind behind the assasination plot), Abu'l Khayr, succeded him as the khan. Contrary to his predecessor, Abu'l was a keen fighter and a devoted hater of the Golden Horde. He used the infighting in Sarai to declare the dependency on the Horde null, and to capture a number of cities in the North. Planning to shift his efforts westwards, he relocated his residence to the newly conquered city of Ishim and started organising additional forces to strike towards Astrakhan and Sarai as soon as the snows would melt.

mongolwwwjh2.jpg

@ The Swert - IIRC, there are some. SUrely, not so many as for England or France, but I think that's even better - I'll be gien free hand to add something new, should the situation arise. :)

@ Vandervecken - There's still an option that MacKinder used the same type of opium as those mountain prophets ;)

II

Unwelcome peace

screensave2vi5.png

Uzbek domain as of 1428

The new khan was quick to reorganise his forces. Scouting parties were dispatched towards the border, while the bulk of cavalry moved westwards. The plan was simple; to strike ignoring border outposts, so that main targets - Sarai and Astrakhan - are besieged as soon as possible. Barely exploited gold deposits of Bashkiria have tempted the khan, but taking them would have to wait until primary targets fall.

Abu'l Khayr reached the border, deployed his horde to attack... But in vain. Scouts returned, bringing news about relative peace of the Golden Horde's domain. Even though not all the warlords have been slain, no major rebellions or infighting took place. Furious, Abu'l Khayr realised that he was too late. His forces - over twelve thousand cavalrymen, or, using, Mongolian definition, twelve myanghans - were strong, but still inferior to Golden Horde's. Not willing to risk the very existence of his country, the khan retreated southwards.

Caspian steppes
South of Golden Horde's frontier with the Uzbeks

"What shall we do now?" Gulan, khan's trusted advisor was honestly worried "The Centre* is too strong. We may win one or two battles, but once they amass the rest of their tumens, we shall be doomed."
"Indeed" Abu'l Khayr was calm as a breeze. The rage he had felt just a few days ago disappeared like mist in the sun "But this collosus is standing on sand. Once it makes a wrong step, its limbs will get stuck, helpless."
"You believe this is possible, your majesty?"
"Yes. The time is on our side. But we must not wait. Every day the Centre loses strenght we must use this to our advantage. That's why we're heading along the sea, towards the red** side of the world."
"Khiva?"
"Indeed. Send messengers to Karaganda. We will need those catapults."

Abu'l Khayr was quick to redirect his blow. First myanghans crossed the Khivan frontier in April, just two months since the attack on the Golden Horde had been cancelled. They quickly gained control over Caspian and Aral Steppes, and recombined at the walls of Khiva, the only true city in this region.

To Abu'l Khayr's amazement, the small town managed to hold surprisingly long. Year 833*** came, and the walls showed no sign of weakening. The defenders were surely starving, but refused to surrender on their own. This forced the khan to take action. An envoy was sent, offering the Khivan nobility freedom within the horde, in exchange for submission. Realising the hopelessness of their situation, the Khivans agreed. The nobility opened the gates of the capital, the captured areas were ceded to the Uzbeks... But that was not an end.

Just as Abu'l Khayr organised a truimphant ceremony in Karapalak to celebrate the victory, a small force of rebels, consisting mostly of former slaves and nobles unwilling to be put under Uzbek rule, captured Khiva and forced the khan to lay the siege once again. The doomed city eventually fell in 834, and the Khivan independence ended for good.

This victory had great consequences for the entire region. With Khivans recognised as members of the Horde, Abu'l Khayr was given a pretext to invade northern Timurid lands, including the legendarly rich city of Samarkand. The Turkoman peoples of the region belonged to the same ethnic group as the Khivans, which created a sufficient explanation for a possible "unificative" campaign. Moreover, with the Khivans serving under Uzbek command, the horde's power increased greatly, almost doubling her numbers. Riches gathered by the Khivans have been added to Abu'l Khayr's treasury, making the khan one of the wealthiest warlords of the region, second only to Shah Rukh, the heir to the dreadful Tamerlane.

For the next three years the Uzbeks mustered their strenght. Until year 836 ****, Abu'l Khayr made two important deals; he first tried to approach the mountain tribes of Daghestan, and a couple of months later he personally met with Shah Rukh. He planned to encircle the Golden Horde and, if possible, to forge alliances aimed against the her. The results were mixed, however, as the Daghestani declared little interest in fighting in the steppes, while Shah Rukh openly declared that his intention was to prevent either of the hordes from getting too powerful. Nevertheless, he agreed to sign a non-aggression pact with the Uzbeks for a period of twenty five years, thus securing Abu'l Khayr's southern frontier.

screensave3fs0.png

Uzbek domain as of 1433
Daghestani tribes are marked as navy blue

As the snows of yet another winter melt, Abu'l Khayr waited impatiently for the time to come. He spent five years to prepare his forces for an ultimate blow. During cold, steppe nights he dreamt about the Grand Khan's palace in Sarai, about countless riches of Bashkiria and Astrakhan, about the cities beyond the legendary river Idel*****, waiting to be plundered...

* - The Mongolians used colours to describe directions. Gold was equal to centre.
** - the South.
*** - Year 1429 in Muslim calendar.
**** - Year 1433 in Muslim calendar.
***** - Tartar name for river Volga.

Hm, most interesting. The Uzbeks sitting between two shakey giants. But will they be able to trully exploit it? Hopefully the Khan will not have a short reign. Eagerly awaiting an update:)

III

First strike

The Uzbek invasion commenced as soon as winter snows melt. Abu'l Khayr divided his forces into two tumens of ten thousand cavalry each, intending to strike towards two targets - the Siberian fortress of Chimgi-Tura in the North, and Astrakhan in the South. The khan hoped that territory East of the Yaik (Tatar for Ural river) would be secured before next winter, so that the assault on Astrakhan could be done without much trouble.

1stxc8.png

Uzbek invasion plan. Dark green line is the Yaik river

First problems started just after the onslaught had begun. A small force of Golden Horde raiders sneaked behind Abu'l Khayr's tumen and attacked the Uzbek frontier. Since almost every avalible man was called to service, many settlements remained unprotected, giving the raiders free hand in pillage and plunder. Most disturbed, Abu'l divided the northern tumen, spreading its forces between besieging Chimgi-Tura and countering the new threat.

Summer brought both good and bad news. Russian states in the North, including Moscow, Tver and Ryazan, declared war upon the Golden Horde, hoping to use the Uzbek offensive to throw off the Tatar yoke. The Uzbek khan observed this efforts with mixed feelings, as his abmition was to replace the Golden Horde as the dominant power of the region, not to divide it with the infidels. Nevertheless, since nothing could have been done to help or disturb the Russians, the khan had to accept the present state of things.

Bad news were that the Golden Horde has finally managed to muster a tumen to defend the southern regions. The clash between two armies took place between June and July, resultng in huge loses on both sides. According to the sources, almost half of the combatants perished, but the overall result was an Uzbek victory. The Golden Horde was forced to retreat behind the Yaik, leaving the fortress of Emba helpless against the invaders. The city was captured in October, completing the goal of reaching Yaik before winter.

Meanwhile, the raiders within the Uzbek territory have been forced out. This freed up almost five thousand cavalrymen, who were ordered to strike northwards. Their target was the gold abundant region of Bashkiria. Abu'l Khayr hoped that plundering this region would seriously undermine the Horde's economy, allowing complete Uzbek victory in the following year. Bashkiria was sacked in September, with very little resistance encoutered.

November brought news about the fall of Chimgi-Tura. The newly conquered lands were quickly assimilated, and the nobility either enslaved or exterminated. This move made the Uzbek khan quite popular among the tribes of province Isker, who had been a long time rival of the Siberian Tatars. They not only recognized Abu'l Khayr as their overlord (no longer occupant), but also agreed to embrace the Muslim fate.

2ndin9.png

Situation after the fall of Emba. Crossed lines represent annexed territory, single lines territory under occupation.

Year 837 (1434 in Western calendar) passed without much action. Uzbek forces, weakened by battles and severe Siberian winter have been reduced to thirteen thousand. Recombined to form a single detachment, they were ordered to strike towards Astrakhan, and managed to lay siege in January. The exceptionally mild winter limited attrition, allowing the Uzbeks to act comfortably without serious loses.

Soon news came about Poland, Lithuania and Novgorod joining the war against the Golden Horde. Surrounded by enemies, the state of Ulugh Muhhamad was sure to crumble.

Astrakhan fell in November. Undisturbed, the Uzbeks moved North, towards Baylou. The siege was short and ended by capturing the city in February 838 (1435). However, the Golden Horde showed unexpected vitality. Not only did it manage to repel the combined Christian onslaught, it also mustered over thirty three thousands of both infantry and cavalry. This titanic army stationed on the Idel, threatening Astrakhan, Emba and Baylou, not to mention the much weaker Uzbek army. Realising the unstability of his position, the khan sent emissaries to negotiate peace.

The Treaty of Sarai was signed in May. Exhausted by intensive warfare, the Golden Horde agreed to cede tansyaikain lands to the Uzbeks, but without paying any compensation in gold. In the same time simmilar negotiations with Muscowy and Lithuania ended, resulting in cession of Mordva to Muscowy and money compensation for Lithuania. The Golden Horde managed to preserve her existance... At least for some time.

3rdpd8.png

The Treaty of Sarai and its results

Last edited:
@ Vandervecken - I did not check the event files for the Horde, Timurids or the Uzbeks. All I know about them is what I observed during a game as Ak Konyulu/Persia about a year ago. So I guess the main problem (should I survive to XVI/XVII century) would be to first stop the Russian steamroller, than to guard my backs against Persia.

Sorry for the crappy quality of screens - my graphic skills are barely sufficient for Paint, as you can see... I wonder if there's a blank map for WATK? I've seen such things for CK and Ricky, and I think it would fit both my ambitions and (lack of) skills. :)

Jedrek said:
@ Vandervecken - I did not check the event files for the Horde, Timurids or the Uzbeks. All I know about them is what I observed during a game as Ak Konyulu/Persia about a year ago. So I guess the main problem (should I survive to XVI/XVII century) would be to first stop the Russian steamroller, than to guard my backs against Persia.

Well, don't forget to pulverize the Timurids starting in 1448, when Ulugh Beg comes to rule. I don't remember if the Occupation of Samarkand is implemented here, but nevertheless, a good province to have:D. The Horde should be pushing the self-destruct button any moment now.

Don't worry, I actually like the little paint thingies, gives a rough manly feel to it ;)

IV

Interrupted preparations

The defeat of Ulugh Muhammad shook the Golden Horde's very core. As the Uzbeks scourged the steppes East of Yaik, one of the warlords, Hajji Giray, fled to Crimea, where he proclaimed himself a ruler of an independent khanate. Other warlords, led by Sayyid Ahmad, orchestrated a palace coup in Sarai, overthrowing Ulugh Muhammad. The former Grand Khan fled northwards, seeking refuge in the wilderness beyond Idel. (Tatar for Volga)

Three following years were rather peaceful for Abu'l Khayr's horde. Constant warfare had put a great strain on the economy, so the khan initiated a reform of the tax collecting system. He chose the city of Karapalak as his permament residence and central treasury, as well as ordered to promote collectors in three richest cities of his domain - Karapalak, Khiva and Yassi. Soon additional income reached the new capital, allowing the rebuild of army back to two full tumens.

In 841 (1438 in Latin calendar) Ulugh Muhammad returned to the political scene. Using a small group of Mordvians, he seized the city of Kazan and proclaimed a yet another splinter khanate. For Khayr a great dillema arose; Muhammad used to be a great foe but, in such circumstances, he might have become a valuable asset for the Uzbeks. However, allying with him was the shortest way to upset some powerful nobles, the veterans of the recent war against the Golden Horde. Nevertheless, Khayr decided to take the risk. A secret emmisary was sent to Kazan in May. He returned shortly before winter came, with a signed alliance in his rugsack. Khayr then made the final move - every noble opponent has been either executed or forced to flee eastwards, to the desolate regions beyond the Altai Mountains.

samvmongei0.jpg

Dismounted Uzbek archers kill a noble

Khayr wanted the final invasion on the Golden Horde to begin in spring 843 (1440 in Latin calendar). Both tumens mustered along river Yaik, waiting to act as soon as the khan issues an order... But in vain. Khayr's attention got absorbed by events on the opposite side of his domain. It seemed that one of the exiled nobles - his name remains unknown - had not only survived two years in the harsh climate of high mountains, he also managed to ally a local Oirat bäki (khan) from the eastern side of the range. Willing to avenge his humilliation and exile, he promised to the bäki the ownership of fertile and rich lands of the Uzbek domain. For countless years before, the nomad Oirats had struggled for survival in the hostile steppe; such a vision was more than enough to provoke their attack.

Initially, their onslaught was successful. Large parts of eastern Uzbek Horde's lands had been occupied, with numerous cities pillaged and looted. Despite the resulting chaos, Abu'l Khayr managed to relocate his forces pretty quickly, engaging and defeating the Oirats in numerous battles. The decisive one - fought somewhere between Karpalak and Yassi in the vast space of the steppe - resulted in deaths of both the rebellious noble and the Oirat bäki. The invaders, now disrupted and in complete retreat, fled back across the mountains.

Without wasting any more time, the khan returned to his original positions along the Yaik. Luckily, the Golden Horde seemed weaker than ever before. But can the fragile treaty with the Timurides be trusted? Apart from miracle, their help was the only chance for the "grand" khan Sayyid Ahmad to survive.

mongol7au.jpg

Destiny awaits...

Last edited: