• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello and welcome to the 6th and final DD for HoD, today I’m going to tell you about the changes we’ve made to Industry and a few misc changes that weren’t mentioned yet in earlier DDs.
Let’s look at Industry first, the main change here is factories now get a Throughput bonus when built in a state that produces their input goods, which encourages clusters of related industry. So, for example, a state that produces Iron and Coal is an ideal place for a Steel mill, which is then a good spot for Artillery and Car factories, and eventually Tanks can be built there. This bonus can be up to 25% if all the factory’s inputs are produced locally. For basic factories the bonus is evenly split between input types, but for the more advanced factories which use both manufactured goods and raw materials the bonus is weighted towards the manufactured goods.
dd6 factories.png

Another change with factories is they are now able to scale back production before firing workers if they are not making a profit. By cutting back they can make it through brief periods of non-profitability without causing mass unemployment, which may cause workers to move away or find another job.
Finally, Capitalists have had their build choices improved, and will now better remember what factories have been recently closed and avoid rebuilding them. They will also reserve some factory slots to build factories that are invented later in the game.
While we’ve shown this in screenshots, I’m not sure if we’ve explained that railways are now shown on the normal mapmodes, not just on infrastructure mode, and they now form dynamic links to nearby provinces rather than every province connecting to every other. The effect of railways are unchanged, they just look better and are more visible now.
dd6 railways.png

Cities and factories also visibly grow on the map as their population and level of industry increases, here's a shot of the same area a bit later:
dd6 railways 2.png

We’ve also made a change to the Civilising process. Now, by taking any of the first four military reforms, you gain the ability to get Research points through conquest (both taking states and annexing nations). The amount of RP gained is based on the number of these reforms you have passed, and the RPs produced in the area taken, for conquering more advanced areas gives you a better result. This means you don’t just have to sit about waiting on Research Points, you can go out and take them! We have also capped the amount of RP an Uncivilised nation can store at 25,000, so you can no longer save up enough points to pass all reforms in one go.
The last change I’m going to mention today is that you receive a 100% boost to influencing your Satellite and Dominion nations, which makes it a lot easier to keep them in your SoI:
dd6 influence.png

Next week we’ll have some beta AARs for you to read. Oh, and in case you have missed it, the release date for HoD has been set for April 16th!

Great improvements all around! Aside from factories on the map, what am I supposed to see in the 1870 screenshot?

When can we start placing our pre-orders?

Release date April 16th? YES!

Also, nice to hear that the behaviour of capitalists has been improved

Last edited:
So until now making factories that consume the resources made in that province had no advantage whatsoever? Because that's always how I made my factories, it seemed logic... now I feel robbed of the time I spent deciding on what would be the best factory for each province :( Oh well... Hopefully capitalists will know to take the resources produced into account when choosing factory types. Also can capitalists decide not to build a factory if certain conditions are not met in a province? Like in my current game the Lesser Antilles has a grand total of 3 craftsmen, but this doesn't dissuade capitalists from building factory after factory that invariably gets shutdown.

Regardless, this expansion seems really amazing, good work PDS!

Thanks for the DD Darkrenown, and on your day off what's more.

I like that factories can now throttle back production, but from the recent economic thread on this board it seems that factories over-producing was a symptom of liquidity problems in the game's economic system meaning that there wasn't enough money for POPs to purchase what they needed. I also understand from that thread that this might need a complete rethink of the economic system to solve, but Naselus hinted that it had somehow been addressed in an ad hoc way with HoD.

Could you say anything about this as Naselus was being very good and keeping to his NDA?

Last edited:
Will capitalists take the local good throughput bonus into account when they create their factories? Or is it just something that players will be able to take advantage of? Also, has RGO hiring been fixed? Previously, I believe it was capped at 50 people per day.

Everything's looking great though!

The growth of cities and industries are not really visible and Southampton has disappeared in the later screenshot. I think I misunderstood this feature.

Throughput bonus when built in a state that produces their input goods
Hope the capis will take this in consideration.

Um, in the second screenshot Britain is ranked #1 but has a SP frame around it's flag. Bug?

We’ve also made a change to the Civilising process. Now, by taking any of the first four military reforms, you gain the ability to get Research points through conquest (both taking states and annexing nations). The amount of RP gained is based on the number of these reforms you have passed, and the RPs produced in the area taken, for conquering more advanced areas gives you a better result. This means you don’t just have to sit about waiting on Research Points, you can go out and take them! We have also capped the amount of RP an Uncivilised nation can store at 25,000, so you can no longer save up enough points to pass all reforms in one go.
Do we get a special CB type, or is it via normal CB generation with the possibility of infamy?

The growth of cities and industries are not really visible and Southampton has disappeared in the later screenshot. I think I misunderstood this feature.

Southampton hasn't vanished, only their railway station. You can see cities have grown in: Canturbury, Salisbury, Leicester, Bristol, Cardiff, Shrewsbury, Birmingham, Coventry, Nottingham, and Lincoln, for example.

Do we get a special CB type, or is it via normal CB generation with the possibility of infamy?

Normal CBs of course,

Hello and welcome to the 6th and final DD for HoD, today I’m going to tell you about the changes we’ve made to Industry and a few misc changes that weren’t mentioned yet in earlier DDs.
Let’s look at Industry first,
--- snip snip snip ---
Awesome stuff
--- snip snip snip ---
, the release date for HoD has been set for April 16th!

Did you ever know that you're my hero??
And ev'rything I would like to be?

I can fly higher than an eagle - 'cause you are the wind beneath my wings!

Southampton hasn't vanished, only their railway station. You can see cities have grown in: Canturbury, Salisbury, Leicester, Bristol, Cardiff, Shrewsbury, Birmingham, Coventry, Nottingham, and Lincoln, for example.

Sorry, so do you mean that those "cities" buildings grow larger the more people are contained in that province?

Very interesting. But at the same time I can't help noticing that you have Naval Bases in nearly every province in the second screen. I though we couldn't do that anymore?

question if i have a factory that produces lets say bullets in a pe that has a factory that produces guns does that also give a bonus the manufacture of guns or is it only natural resources that give the bonus? and looking forward to the AAR which country will you play as out of curiousity.

question if i have a factory that produces lets say bullets in a pe that has a factory that produces guns does that also give a bonus the manufacture of guns or is it only natural resources that give the bonus? and looking forward to the AAR which country will you play as out of curiousity.
As I understood in the livestream it does give a bonus.

Did you ever know that you're my hero??
And ev'rything I would like to be?

I can fly higher than an eagle - 'cause you are the wind beneath my wings!

Bette Middler...or Sonata Arctica :D?

Also, fingers crossed for a GG sale on AHD to celebrate the April 16th. (yes, I am not really wealthy :D)