• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks promising, though number of coastal states might become critical to naval power now (unless ships actually are as expensive as in reality and only massive industry can support more than a couple of dreadnoughts). I guess most European GPs have similar numbers, but the USA has tons more if it takes over the Mexican regions and all.
I'm wondering how it will affect the UK. It was THE naval power during the period, but GB isn't that large.

Nice! this all makes alot of sense. One thing, battleships between ironclads and dreadnoughts instead of after dreads?

That's how it went. HMS Dreadnought revolutionised Battleship design to the point that the new classes were named after it, and then gradually this became the norm so the more general term "Battleship" came back into general use.

I'm wondering how it will affect the UK. It was THE naval power during the period, but GB isn't that large.

Germany has Oldenburg?, Hannover, Osthannover, S-H, Mecklenburg, Pommerania, and the two Prussias. So 8 states or so.

GB has 4? England States, Wales, and the Scottish states, and all coastal IIRC so about 7 states.

France has Calais, Picardie, Normandie, Brittany, Loire, Aquitaine, Languedoc, Provence and so again 8 or so.

Not that much difference, though I'm doing this all from memory so I may be missing some. Austria-Hungary certainly misses out, of course.

Does this mean that I can't use Belfast as a Big Ship shipyard or does Belfast count as being connected to London.
And what about Ottomans and naval bases in Asia Minor?

Areas connected by a strait still count, but the Ottomans can't build Big Ships in their North African provinces, for example (until they conquer Egypt anyway!).

Nice! This expasion looks more promising every week!

Just a little curiosity: will pre-dreadnought big ships have different gun ranges for the main batteries and the secondary ones? Since i noticed a "stance" button to sort the ships (guess it's for the seeking target, engage, retreat, etc etc): will we have the chance to set how aggressively the fleet will fight, with defensive or aggressive stances to outrange smaller ships and maul them only with the big guns or get close and fire with everything at disposal?

During the 1860s the Italian Royal Navy had a few ships, like the Affondatore, that where considered armored rams and actually tried to ram Austrian ships. Any chance that we'll see anything like this, maybe with iron clads?
I know it would have little or no use in terms of gameplay, but it would be cool to issue such a klingon style order: "Sir, we're losing all systems. We shall retreat!" "Never! Give me ramming speed." ;)

Last edited:
Nice! This expasion looks more promising every week!

Just a little curiosity: will pre-dreadnought big ships have different gun ranges for the main batteries and the secondary ones? Since i noticed a "stance" button to sort the ships (guess it's for the seeking target, engage, retreat, etc etc): will we have the chance to set how aggressively the fleet will fight, with defensive or aggressive stances to outrange smaller ships and maul them only with the big guns or get close and fire with everything at disposal?

During the 1860s the Italian Royal Navy had a few ships, like the Affondatore, that where considered armored rams and actually tried to ram Austrian ships. Any chance that we'll see anything like this, maybe with iron clads?
I know it would have little or no use in terms of gameplay, but it would be cool to issue such a klingon style order: "Sir, we're losing all systems. We shall retreat!" "Never! Give me ramming speed." ;)

No, the gun range/attack values account only for the main guns, different sized guns are not accounted for, nor is ramming possible. Um, you can't order different levels of aggression either. Sorry!

This looks great! Together with a lot of focus on AI improvements this patch will be the best Paradox patch to date. (hopefully)

negativeman-55f.png

sometimes I wonder why we try

No, the gun range/attack values account only for the main guns, different sized guns are not accounted for, nor is ramming possible. Um, you can't order different levels of aggression either. Sorry!

I'll keep them in my wishlist for the next exp or V3, then. In the meanwhile this exp is already delivering lots of juicy things, more than AHD imho (AHD had more flavour, but the new naval combat and the crisis system offer a deeper gameplay). Can't wait to play it.

We craftsmen POPs would like to have it for free as a patch, naturally :sleep: Until we promote to capitalist POPs like Johan :cool:

BTW that system is in HOI 3 too but in disguise, right? After all, in that game ships also focus fire on one ship each hour, aproach each other etc.

We craftsmen POPs would like to have it for free as a patch, naturally :sleep: Until we promote to capitalist POPs like Johan :cool:

Meh, I always think of the devs as artisans. Fred's the capitalist.

One thing about this system is that I bet people will find naval battles more easy to visualise now, rather than being abstract numbers.

Podcat the artificial cheese block crying.

The DD looks really cool, but indeed UK was a massive naval power and now it's relatively easy for countries with a lot of coastal states to make a lot of ports.

Too bad, my mouth was watering in the hope that you might make torpedoes only activate at really close range.

What is the deal with torpedoes? Do they only work when attacking big ships, to force you to keep screens?