• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello and welcome to the first developer diary for the latest Victoria 2 expansion: Heart of Darkness! Today we're going to look at the Newspaper system, which is perhaps one of the most interesting features we're adding in HoD.

We have several different newspaper headers for different countries and regions around the world, and the major nations also have some special newspaper names for when they are ruled by one of the extreme ideologies. Here are two examples (out of 60+):
French:
Hearts of Darkness DD1 news1.png
Russian:
Hearts of Darkness DD1 news2.png

The way newspapers work is they collect data on events and goings-on and then attempt to publish a paper every 6 months (this value is of course moddable) if they have enough stories. In the above examples you can see many of the possible story types; nations declaring war on each other, results of battles your country has fought in, recent inventions, game events, etc. One example, "UK fears our might", may not seem to have an obvious ingame origin, but it offers a little insight into the AI's thinking and is triggered by an AI nation recognising another nation as a possible threat to their interests. There is also a story type for when an AI nation decides it wants to be friends with you or another nation, which might alert you to he possibility of a new alliance. Finally, we have a variety of filler stories that can be added to the smaller story slots in a paper to flesh it out when there's not enough real newsworthy stories ready to be published.

Some story types also come in multiple versions to avoid repetition, while others can be skewed by the ideology of your ruling party or by the laws of your Nation. For example, when a Communist newspaper reports that Communist rebels have overthrown the government in another nation they will write a much more positive story than a Conservative nation's paper. Another possible example is a nation with Censored Press may not reveal the exact number of losses when it reports on a lost battle.

Now that you know about News, I have another little titbit for you: Remember the National Stockpile Slider? The one that controls your purchases and military morale? Well, now we have separated it out into three: Army, Navy, and Construction Spending are now independent of each other, allowing a lot more budget flexibility and control.
Hearts of Darkness DD1 budget1.png

That's all for now, but come back next week to read about the Crisis system!

Last edited:
Hurrah! More control of Military maintenance. To make Colonial Wars easier.....Navy not needed keep its stockpile low.....just increase the Army's to make War quicker.

Separate sliders are great! Will we also get separate sliders for tarrifs on raw materials/consumer goods/military goods? Now that would be usefull.

Also, the anchor is gone under the scores and ranking. It's been replaced with colony icon.

Last edited:
Excellent! I was just playing a game on my AAR where I had a vast number of commerce raiders, and a few brigades of artillery. I wanted to supply my brigades, but didn't want to supply my ships due to the high cost (and the fact that this war was a purely naval one.) In the end I just had to set artillery to 0 in the trade window and use only infantry. And here you are, with a perfect solution! :D

Bravo.

Most interesting although I'm looking even more forward to the crisis system.

+1 for the sliders.

Darkrenown, in your view, to what degree are the newspapers cosmetic, merely aggregating up already available information, versus offering new, useful information? I know you gave some examples of the latter, but it seems more like a cosmetic addition based on what I know so far.

Yes, finally I can focus more on my land armies than on my naval units......
Can we see some generic newspapers, that appears maybe in ahistorical countries? Example : India

Посыльный... What?! Have you just translated "Courier" into Russian? It sounds ridiculous in Russian. Try real Russian newspaper names - like Голос (Voice), Колокол (Bell), or abstract Известия (News) that sounds fancy and exists in many forms.

Darkrenown, in your view, to what degree are the newspapers cosmetic, merely aggregating up already available information, versus offering new, useful information? I know you gave some examples of the latter, but it seems more like a cosmetic addition based on what I know so far.

They are mostly cosmetic/immersion, you could play a whole game without ever looking at one if you don't want to. AI fears/loves us does give a bit of extra info, but it's hardly vital.

Посыльный... What?! Have you just translated "Courier" into Russian? It sounds ridiculous in Russian. Try real Russian newspaper names - like Голос (Voice), Колокол (Bell), or abstract Известия (News) that sounds fancy and exists in many forms.

Using existing paper names is asking for a lawsuit

Those newspapers add greatly to the immersion, can they also be modded? as to how much 'news' there will be, like a finacial page :D

I love those newspapers. :)

Please don't forget to add in the overall current economic situation...and some comparisons with other nations.

It doesn't matter if they're merely cosmetic or summarizing available info, as long as they're there. :)

Btw: Please consider to add this in all future PI products, e.g. letters of a troubadour in CK II and EU IV.