• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't think that the people that play Victoria 2 are daunted by the trade system. If you're going to knuckle down and learn one of the more byzantine strategy games out there, then you're eventually going to learn how to manage the trade menu yourself.

But that's not worth an argument - both ideas have merit. I would just rather see other things that don't work very well and are out of the players control improved over things that you can already manipulate. I know you'll mention the NF to encourage factories that won't bankrupt but let's face it, that's a bad option. You're hamstringing your country by using national focuses that are less valuable than others while getting no guarantee that the capitalists won't just build yet another explosive factory or artillery factory in a state that doesn't have a national focus encouraging profitable ones.

I love all the changes and I'll hands down be picking up HoD on preorder or day 1. But please, have a look into the way factories are weighted. You only need to tagswitch and have a look at AI controlled countries to see what a mess the AI is capable of making when left to its own decisions.

we have some papers that went bancrupt or stopped existing during 1800s, but using direct names and logos of modern ones is a legal minefield. We have tried to make papers that sound and look similar in these cases. Obviously doing russian papers is very hard for us since nobody here speaks or reads the language. I buddy did help me with arabic papers though.

Here is a generic communist country newspaper title:
View attachment 74569

Thanks, loving the Communist newspaper

I appreciate all the work the team is putting in to making the newspapers flavorful. :)

For Russian newspapers, there are surely some obsolete papers from the 19th century whose names you could use? Have one of your historical researchers flip through some heavily footnoted editions of some Russian novels. :p Otherwise I'm sure you could use the generic word for "news," новости, or "newspaper," газета.

Some of the responses you guys give helps me improves my Russian more (trying to learn it)

Anyways, how would the newspaper be handled for uncivilized country? They don't have printing presses.

Just realized how there are "folders" next to the newspaper, and there's a new icon (anyone see the colony one, 204/204)? Wonder what that mean
Aside from that, had a nice laugh seeing France as a secondary power.

Some of the responses you guys give helps me improves my Russian more (trying to learn it)

Anyways, how would the newspaper be handled for uncivilized country? They don't have printing presses.

I would solve that by them simply not having newspapers.

I'd say either imported newspapers at a less frequent rate (to add a bit of immersion) or a simpler version with just a single important story on it. Even before printing presses, you had official declarations in the cities on print.

There can never be too many sliders. Being able to break up tariffs between natural resources and produced goods that use factories is also an excellent idea, keep the prices low for resources in country and push other countries away from buying up your rubber.

anyone else noticed the extra icon under prestige, military points and industrial points? ;) it's in indicator on how many colonies you can get?

Why wouldn't they? China definitely had them. Printing presses are over 300 years old at this point, uncivilised nations aren't all at middle ages tech level, they run a wide variety from only slightly behind nations to African tribes.

The newspaper system is a brilliant addition with many future also in the other Pdox games I hope. Instead of reminding the player of certain events, I think the best part of the newspaper is to get a glimpse on the workings of the AI on things that are still to happen or not evident by the player. So the important part it's not to get news like "France and Prussia are at war", but instead "France and Prussia are near a confrontation" or "Russia increases its focus in x region" and such. I'd would cover the role of a kind of a geopolitical intelligence journal, something long missing as the Pdox games turn more deep and require more strategic planning (like the geopolitical-oriented trade routes mechanic in EUIV).

Why wouldn't they? China definitely had them. Printing presses are over 300 years old at this point, uncivilised nations aren't all at middle ages tech level, they run a wide variety from only slightly behind nations to African tribes.

I'd hazard a guess they'd have to be at at least a certain civilization level before newspapers started showing up -- Persia or China having newspapers isn't immersion breaking, unreformed Zulu having them would be.

Yeah can we get a pink Financial Times? :)

I predict the first newspaper mod: Tabloids! Where all news are presented in a sensational manner and focus on the superficial.

Lincoln shows visible leg at speech!
Bismarck caught eating French food!
Franz Ferdinand exposes himself to terrorists!

Will State Press/Censored/Free Press reforms have any impact on the type of articles in the paper? It would seem ridiculous seeing any critical articles about your country when papers are state only.

Last edited: