• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Kallocain

Executive Producer
22 Badges
Aug 3, 2009
  • Divine Wind
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Legio
  • Lead and Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
We have not been acting as a publisher for third-party titles all that long, we were just a developer from the start. It is a learning experience and sometimes things do not work out as well as they would in an ideal world. To prevent similar issues in future titles we have in in-house full time QA now, which we did not have before. We also send games to an external QA studio for compatibility testing, which we did not do at the time EL was released, as we had not yet figured out that it was really needed. In the beginning we did all testing between ourselves and the developer, and of course we did not find all important bugs that way. Our hopes is that we have learned and are stronger for the future though.

Your mention of Fantasy Wars is important as my feeling is that Elven Legacy should have been released with a copy of Fantasy Wars "in the box." If this had been done, the problems of a faulty manual and botched tutorial would have been overcome.

This is not really possible as we were not the publisher for Fantasy Wars.

unmerged(322529)

Private
2 Badges
May 30, 2011
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
Kallocain...Thank you for explaining things so clearly! Your post is the most encouraging entry in this thread so far. My point about including the Fantasy Wars main game in with Elven Legacy was a general point. I appreciate that there are always factors outside your control which influence whether things can happen, or not (as in this case.) I am still uncertain as to whether to put my concerns aside and just play the game, but the responses here have improved my confidence in Paradox Interactive...which must be a good outcome!

unmerged(402777)

Recruit
2 Badges
Oct 30, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
Okay, let me start by saying that I'm usually a big fan of games distributed by Paradox. I've never bothered to register them here as I've never before had reason to seek out the forums due to terrible frustration. I'm not going to now as it seems pointless that you have to register every game seperately in order to be able to comment on its forum thread - really, you MUST change this silly system.

Anyway, after the sheer brilliance of games like Mount and Blade (though the last version was not so good), King Arthur, and Lionheart among others - I was instantly confused and dismayed upon loading up EL only to experience the same problems discussed here.
Despite some well-meaning posts (and some EXCUSES) it seems that still no-one bothers to try to rectify what it would seem is not a difficult thing to fix. The ammount of work involved in CREATING many voiceover sequences (whatever language they involve) is completely wasted when a player cannot actually listen to the whole story. It is like listening to an ancient vynil record that skips missing half the song. As a HARDCORE gamer (I have been unemployed due to ill health for many years and play every waking hour) since the days of the Commodore64 being THE computer to play (yes im almost 40, yes that IS old) I really dont CARE whos fault it is that the game I have paid for is not a complete and finished product. I just want the matter resolved - and arguments about whether the devs, the translation team, or the publishers are to blame only concern me on two levels. 1. the end user is losing out; and 2. It saddens me that what appears to be a good game (and all the hard work of making it) is undone/destroyed due to the laziness of a failure to QA polish before release or a lack of ACTUAL TANGIBLE RESULTS to complaints made about it post-release.

"we will try harder next time" just isnt a good enough response.

incidentally, you are completely correct about small companies and publishers and also astute in using Kalypso/Katauri as examples. But I find it very strange when blame falls on a company like 1C that has an excellent track record with English translated games.

Sorry Paradox but in my opinion it's your responsibility to either address such problems by creating the fix yourselves or by contacting the original developers and finding a solution that way.

*edit* well at least the game works to some extent. I just went to buy Fantasy Wars on the "revival" label....the computer doesnt even read the disk...i returned it...swapped it for another...same result :(. Regarding EL though...now ive played it I have to say that the cut-scenes are somewhat incidental, you dont really NEED them as the storyline unfolds from within the actual game and the speech is not clipped there either..its a great game and you dont need the tutorial unless you have a mental dysfunction. I also disagree that Fantasy Wars should have been included as the EL series is pretty much sand-alone in terms of storyline and there is more than enough game here for one purchase. It would be NICE if its issues were fixed but they arent really NECESSARY to get a lot of enjoyment from the game.

Last edited:

DanSez

borg in training
31 Badges
Oct 28, 2009
  • Cities in Motion
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • Elven Legacy Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
I picked up Sword of the Stars and the first expansion while I was there but I'll keep looking for EU 3 or HoI 2 or 3.

Given your initial statement on game preferences, steer completely away from SotS2 - beyond the sad state of the game, it is a shoot'em up space ship shell that may never reach its original promise.

EU3, what video card do you have - very important and won't run in some settings.
AoD is a good HoI2 final design that should run on your current machine.
HoI3 is now supporting multi-thread processors so it runs much faster/better in that setup.

I have been considering this game (EL) for a couple of months and this thread is very informative - thanks to all for the polite and usefull comments. I would echo one of the themes that if the known fixes have not been consoldated in one sticky thread then it should be done so by whomever has Mod Authority. Make it easy for your customers to find the important and useful tricks, patches and such would give me and future lurkers more confidence to buy the game.

Nikolai II

A bunny with a hat
121 Badges
Nov 18, 2001
www.giantitp.com
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • War of the Roses
  • Lead and Gold
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka
  • Rome: Vae Victis
Well, there is only one real fix that I recall, but I've added mention of it to some of the other sticky threads (it already had its own) and if you spot something I've missed / forgotten about, just let me know. :)

DanSez

borg in training
31 Badges
Oct 28, 2009
  • Cities in Motion
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • Elven Legacy Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
Alright, I'll take a leap of faith and see how it plays. Lots of good sales before Christmas so I wound up picking a few I'd been interested in. Thanks for the reply Nikolai II.
Happy Holidays - Merry Christmas - Sweet Winter Solstice - and a Crazy Cool Kwansaa to us all.