• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Huzzah! The war (somewhat) succeeded! oh and following this aar now!

I second that!! HUZZAH!!!

Thanks! However, I felt I lost the war. I wasted too much time with those French (having 0 infamy for all that time is a sin :p). Now, I got to expand elsewhere. I guess it's either south or east. Let the crusades continue!

Chapter 13 - Beginning of a New Chapter

(Toledo, Castille)

"My emperor! I brought news from Granada!"

"This better be good. I hate it when someone interrupts me when I'm doing the paperwork."

"This is great news! The people of Granada wishes to join Castille!"

The emperor looked at his advisor in disbelief.

"Emperor, I know it's hard to believe. However, our war with the French showed them that they belong to our nation. In a way, the war unified our two nations."

"This is great news! Integrate Granada at once! It's time for us to start a new chapter. This is just like my dream."

chapter13a.png

"Dream, emperor? What was it about?"

"I dreamt God showing me a path. He told me that my empire will be great if we headed southward. We will find new riches. He also gave our empire a new name: Spain."

chapter13b.png

"Spain! What a glorious name for our nation. Should I begin telling our people right away?"

"Yes, tell the Spanish that our time to rise in power has come!"

chapter13c.png

(Toledo, Spain)

"Advisor, I have another job for you."

"Of course, emperor."

"I wish to annex Navarra. Send word to them and see what their response is."

"Yes, emperor."

chapter13d.png

"Bring me an updated map. I wish to see our beautiful Iberia."

chapter13e.png

Chapter 14 -Radically Changing Europe

(Toledo, Spain)

"Advisor, do you know that there's no such thing as eternal friends?"

"I understand that but why are you telling me this, emperor?"

"Two nations once formed an unstoppable alliance. One command the land while the other command the seas."

"You're talking about England and France alliance, right? They are the most feared alliance in Europe."

"You mean they were the most feared alliance in Europe."

"Are you suggesting starting another war to tore them apart?"

"Why must we do anything when it's already done?"

chapter14a.png

"That's great news, emperor! Looks like the war by the former emperor had a great impact on Europe than we thought."

"Indeed, my father had great foresight. He thought he doomed us but he freed us from the shackles. We are now one of the dominant powers in Europe."

A few days later.

"Emperor! I have even greater news."

"What could be better than the dissolving of the French-English alliance?"

"Those two nations will never ally themselves ever again. Look at the report we got from our spies in France."

chapter14b.png

"Excellent! However, I don't want the English to get a bigger foothold in Europe."

"It would seem that they aren't likely to succeed. The Austrians aren't giving them too warm of a welcome."

chapter14d.png

"God is by our side. What are his orders?"

"Please view this, my emperor."

chapter14c.png

"Who's the one that wrote this?"

"An archbishop, emperor."

"Execute him!"

"Why, emperor?"

"We don't need an archbishop that cannot communicate with God properly. Find a replacement now!"

Lol that archbishop! Good job uniting all of the crowns of Spain as well! Now all that's left is to probably look at vassalizing Toulouse and Gascougne

Lol that archbishop! Good job uniting all of the crowns of Spain as well! Now all that's left is to probably look at vassalizing Toulouse and Gascougne

Thanks! The Spanish emperor needs to blame someone for the ridiculous mission. I've decided to ignore Europe and start heading either south and east. I might be back but crusades are the priority for me.

The Archbishop really made me laugh, reminds me of this time as Russia when I got a mission to "Save the Russian People in Kursk" as Moscow and a strong horde. After I canceled it, I got the mission "Conquer Kursk".

I hope EU4 has better mission order.

Last edited:
The Archbishop really made me laugh, reminds me of this time as Russia when I got a mission to "Save the Russian People in Kursk" as Moscow and a strong horde. After I canceled it, I got the mission "Conquer Kursk".

I hope EU3 has better mission order.

You mean EU4 right?

Update 1

update3a.png

Yes, it's time for an update. Spain, newly formed, controls Iberia, North Africa and the rich parts of Egypt (I lost the screenshot where I took Cairo). If you look at the lower left corner, you can see that I'm currently colonizing further south. I believe gold awaits me there.

The Big Three are still big and powerful. Fighting all three of them is asking for trouble and I don't like that :p. I'll stay clear until they break up and get into a war they can't win. Poland is still in personal union with Lüneburg (poor Poland :sad:). Lithuania looks like a mess with rebels but they should be able to handle it. They don't have any major wars at the moment. Sweden is blobby and England still expands everywhere (not sure why they haven't inherited Wales yet). Austria is becoming more powerful in Europe.

update3b.png

My income is the highest which doesn't make that much sense. Most of my territories are oversea and get huge penalties. However, I'm not complaining. Delhi is up there which is no surprise. See Austria? They will be a powerhouse real soon (you'll know why after my next chapter). Ottoman is quite solid at the moment and, with lack of enemies, they will have a fun time in the Balkans. And Holland is freaking rich and they're not even merchant republic (I'm surprised that they still haven't been eaten up by Burgundy)

update3c.png

I definitely can do better but there are financial limits. Makes you wonder how Delhi is supporting a larger army than me. One thing that bothered me was why the Ottomans weren't in this list. I assume that their troops were in distant foreign lands and they simply disbanded them after the war. Something I find amusing is that Bohemia can barely support an army larger than Hosokawa. Hopefully, this means Japan will be forming.

update3d.png

Is anyone surprised? Ottoman has more ships than England. If they rebuilt their army and attacks England, they just might pull off an impressive invasion. As for my navy, I stopped building long ago. I made sure I had enough transports and that was good enough for me :p. That's odd, where's Venice? Oh right, they got annexed by Austria.

update3e.png

update3f.png

Not all that interesting but some might be curious.

Chapter 15 - The Big Three is No More

(Toledo, Spain)

"Advisor, are there anything new happening?"

"Our colonies along western Africa is going well. It would appear that there are plenty of people willing to move there."

"That is to be expected. They get low taxes and land. Who want to stay here anymore?"

"I do, emperor. I prefer staying in a nice big city rather than working day and night in foreign lands."

"I should send you to our newest colony. It will be a great learning experience for you."

"Emperor, I would rather pass on that."

"I could deal with Iberia and you can learn about how we can govern better in Africa. You won't be staying that long. I'll call you back in 3 years. Or is that too short?"

"No, no. 3 years is plenty. I will come back with everything you need to know about Africa by then."

"Excellent! Pack your bags. I think there's a ship leaving this afternoon."

"Yes, emperor."

"Father, where is my teacher going?"

"He's heading to Africa. He's going on a learning experience. I'll be teaching you until he returns."

"That's great! I always wondered what the emperor does everyday."

A general comes in.

"Emperor, I brought wonderful news from the east. It looks like the Big Three will no longer trouble us anymore."

"Really? Are you saying that other European nations have crushed them?"

"Not quite. Not one European nation dared to even insult The Big Three. You see, they are fighting among themselves. I heard it was over one woman."

chapter15c.png

"Interesting, who knew one woman can destroy such a powerful alliance."

"Indeed, the Ottomans appears to have taken some land from the Jalayarids."

chapter15a.png

"Maybe it's almost time for us to return the Jalayirids a favour. They attack us while we were dealing with the French."

"I'm afraid they are still quite powerful, emperor. Plus, the Ottomans are the defender of the Muslim faith. They are unlikely to stand idle if we attack."

"Maybe you're right. Continue training the troops. An opportunity may arise at anytime and I want to be ready."

"Yes, emperor."

Chapter 16 - Taming the Primitives (part 1)

A messenger entered.

"Emperor, I fear I brought bad news. The advisor was killed yesterday."

"Killed? Who did this?"

"Our troops believed that Songhai sent mercenaries in. Of course, they are more primitive beasts than mercenaries."

"Damn them! I originally wanted to leave them in peace. This was my mistake and I lost an advisor due to it. Looks like I must tame these primitives. Tell the general to meet me here! I have a job for him."

The general enters.

"You called me, emperor?"

"My advisor died and we believe Songhai was behind his death. I want you to lead 15 thousand men and teach these primitive creatures a lesson."

"Understood."

chapter16a.png

(Cayor, Spain)

"General, it would appear that The Mamluks and the Golden Horde has also entered the conflict."

"That's fine. The Mamluks are merely toothless kittens. As for the hordes, they have a better chance of converting to Orthodox than reaching anywhere in the empire."

"What are your plans, general?"

"Split our army to a 7 thousand and a 8 thousand regiment. One army will siege while the other will be facing the enemy head on."

A few months later.

"General, our 8 thousand regiment encountered Songhai's main army. The emperor wasn't kidding when he said they were primitive. They hardly put up any fight."

chapter16b.png

"Don't get cocky, soldier. Never let your guard down. With their main army pretty much out of commission, speed up the sieges!"

"Yes, general!"

"Before you leave, I want you to send a messenger to Toledo. I want to suggest to our emperor to invest in a grander army. We will need a larger army to maintain peace in our empire."

chapter16c.png

(Toledo, Spain)

A messenger rushed in.

"Emperor, I brought news from Africa. Our general was successful at defeating Songhai. They managed to acquire many provinces."

chapter16d.png

"Excellent! However, we still have much work to do. We aren't finished until the tame all the primitives in the region. Tell the general to stay there and continue our campaign there."

"Yes, emperor! There is another matter. The general wondered about how we will be dealing with the hordes."

"Tell him I got it covered. I'll make the hordes regret for opposing me. You are dismissed."

The emperor then sent a very generous peace deal which the Golden Hordes gladly accepted.

chapter16e.png

Very nice. gain some more momentum!!!

Thanks! Songhai will feel the full might of the crusade as I have the Holy See all to myself :p. Extra tax income is very nice.

Chapter 17 - Taming the Primitives (part 2)

chapter17b.png

(Bambuk, Spain)

"General, our second crusade against the primitive Songhai has begun."

"We'll use the same tactics as the last crusade."

"Won't that backfire on us?"

"They're primitive. They'll be unable to counter the same tactic. Trust me, soldier."

"Yes, general! One last thing, the Jalayirids came in defence of Songhai."

"I've received report that they had their own problems. I'm surprised that they are willing to get themselves tangled up in this."

"What problems are they facing, general?"

"Here's the report. They are losing to the Ottomans quite badly."

chapter17aj.png

"Then I guess we have nothing to fear from them then. I'm heading out, general!"

A few months later, a messenger met with the general.

"I brought terrible news, general. Our emperor has passed away."

"Impossible! He's so young and promising. He couldn't be dead. Someone must have assassinated him."

"No, general. He died of an illness that is common here in Africa. He must have caught it while he was here."

"What a shame. He could've accomplished so much more if he had lived. I'm assuming his daughter will be crowned?"

"Yes, Juana has been crowned the empress of Spain. I heard from the court that she is very promising."

chapter17c.png

A soldier came in.

"General, we won the crusade against the Songhai. We have acquired four more provinces."

chapter17d.png

"Perfect timing. Messenger, tell the empress the good news. I know she needs something to cheer her up. Also inform her that I'll deal with the peace treaty regarding the Jalayirids."

chapter17e.png

Well at this rate all of West Africa will be your before anyone else in Europe even thinks of moving into the region, but knowing from past experience I am willing to bet that England will explore around and holy way kongo and take it easily; so be careful with that, if necessary add them to your protection or sphere. Also by the looks of it all the major alliances have fallen apart, so you pretty much have free reign to do whatever you want without having to worry about being beaten by anyone at this point. Keep up the good work!

Well at this rate all of West Africa will be your before anyone else in Europe even thinks of moving into the region, but knowing from past experience I am willing to bet that England will explore around and holy way kongo and take it easily; so be careful with that, if necessary add them to your protection or sphere. Also by the looks of it all the major alliances have fallen apart, so you pretty much have free reign to do whatever you want without having to worry about being beaten by anyone at this point. Keep up the good work!

I'm not obsessed with West Africa at the moment. I want to start expanding east to reach India. I'm thinking of ending this AAR when I do and I doubt any nation will threaten me before I reach India.

Chapter 18 - Taming the Primitives (part 3)

(Toledo, Spain)

"Empress, the Jalayirids is falling apart. Most recently, Persia won a big war against them.

chapter18a.png

"Looks like they won't be much of a threat anymore. Can we spare any men to attack them?"

"No, empress. Our men are tied up in the crusades against the Songhai."

"That still haven't finished? I thought the primitives would be tamed already."

"There's a large territory to cover, empress. We expect the crusade there to end soon."

"I hope so."

"Is there anything we can do? I'm getting bored."

"Our church is discussing about some changes. Here's a list of the changes."

chapter18f.png

"I'll approve them all. They will benefit our empire greatly. Just look at how successful our missionaries have become." (My missionaries have at least 20% success rate :p)

(Bambuk, Spain)

chapter18b.png

"Can't believe this is our third crusade. What's the progress of our sieges?"

"We eliminated their main army and currently sieging more than half of their provinces. We should be end this shortly. Both the Golden Hordes and The Mamluks decided to intervene."

"What a pain! I wish we can teach those two nations to mind their own business."

"I heard the empress has ordered the annexation of The Mamluks. She wanted to show the heathens the consequences of intervening with our wars."

chapter18c.png

"Well, that one less problem."

A few months later.

"General, it would appear that the Jalayirids decided to intervene our war as well."

chapter18d.png

"They could barely hold off a minor nation like Persia. Now they want to take us on? No wonder the Big Three fell apart. I would feel shame having an alliance with Jalayirids as well."

"The Golden Hordes used this opportunity to get out of the war though."

chapter18e.png

"See, the hordes have more common sense. Anyways, let us get back to our crusade."

"It just ended, general. We won a decisive victory again. In addition, our empress was kind enough to forgive the Jalayirids for their foolish intervention."

chapter18g.png

chapter18h.png

dont quit now! press on to the fabled lands

Well, this is my first AAR. I learned a lot from it and, from the start, I planned to end it when I reach India (hence the title). However, I will be starting a new one right after. I'm thinking of starting a vote at the end of this AAR to see what nation (from the list I come up with) people want me to play. Of course, I will need to, first, finish this AAR and, second, get permission from a Mod. Be sure to participate in the vote if you are interested.

Chapter 19 - Eastward We Go

(Toledo, Spain)

chapter19a.png

"Empress, we have already started the crusade against Syria as you ordered. However, the Ottomans decided to aid them."

"Show them no mercy. I'm tired of these minor nations complicating things."

"You don't look so well, empress. Maybe you should go and rest."

"Now that you mention it, I do feel a bit ill. Maybe I should lie down for awhile and ...."

"Empress. Empress! Medic! Medic!!!"

The medic entered the room.

"You called me?"

"The empress just fainted. Attend to her immediately."

"Yes!"

The medic headed over to check on the empress.

"Maybe the empress is too exhausted. She probably will be alright after her nap."

The medic looked back shaking his head.

"I'm afraid the empress is dead."

"No, it can't be."

The advisor fainted and the medic was forced to attend to him. A messenger was also sent to Felipe II. The messenger found Felipe II in the library.

"I'm sorry to bother you but the empress just died."

"Say that again."

"The empress just died."

"You're serious, aren't you?"

"Very much so."

"Take me to here now! My mother couldn't be dead."

Felipe II saw his mother covered with a white cloth.

"Who did this? She was fine this morning! Who did this? Medic, was she poisoned?"

"She wasn't poisoned. If I had to guess, I'd say she had an illness none of us were aware of. That illness just took her life."

"Felipe, you must take the place of emperor now. We are at war with the dangerous Ottomans and we need you to lead us to victory."

"I understand. Have you told my brother?"

chapter19b.png

"Yes, he's on his way here."

A messenger from Egypt arrived at the room.

"Syria agreed to cede us some of their land. Wait. What happened here?"

"The empress just passed away. Felipe here is now the emperor of Spain."

"Should I report this news to the general in Egypt?"

"Wait until the war is over. I don't want the generals to be affected by this news, especially not the general in Egypt."

"Advisor, you know something, don't you? Tell me!"

"I guess you're old enough. You see, the general in Egypt is your father. He and your mother met while he was in the military academy. Your grandfather found out and sent him to Egypt. However, your mother was pregnant before that happened. To cover everything up, he made up the story that your father died from a terrible accident."

"I see. I see."

A year later.

"Emperor, the Ottomans agreed to our peace deal."

chapter19e.png

"Order the Egyptian general to return to Toledo at once! I want to meet him."

"Yes, emperor."

Update 2

I wasn't planning to do an update this quickly but things are getting really interesting. First, we will get through the more dull stuff:

update4a.png

For those curious about my national ideas, here it is. I've focused quite heavily on land since I wasn't planning on getting colonies in the new world. The fourth idea, National Bank, will help me support a larger army. Oversea penalties make my nation quite poor with the low taxes :p. Next, I got lucky to get a free university.

update4b.png

Now, we'll look at the pie charts and COTs.

update4h.png

update4i.png

Notice how Christian my nation is despite the conquests? If you look at my active missionaries, you'll see some convert chances are as high as 25.5%. The chances below 8% are the provinces that just became reformed or protestants. My COT in Barcelona is growing quite nicely. I don't have monopoly because I'm a bit behind in trade tech. I wasn't paying too much attention to trading so I picked to send my merchants to places with 1% or 2% chance success :p.

Onto the good stuff.

update4c.png

Notice the white stuff? That's Austria. They were busy in Europe while I was away. They lead personal unions with Hungary, Holland and Hesse. They also ate up a good chunk of France. Looks like I created a bigger monster.

update4d.png

Further east and north, we have an interesting looking map. We have Prussia with some rebel problems. Polotsk looks quite big and Ukraine seems to be doing well too. Sweden is more blobby.

update4e.png

update4f.png

Austria is catching up in income. They also have a much much bigger army than me. This could be bad news :sad:. Not much changed for Delhi, England and Holland.

update4g.png

Before you ask, I have no idea what happened to Ottoman's fleet. I was too busy in Africa to notice. Good news for me since I don't have to deal with so much blockade when I'm at war with them.

Chapter 20 - Taming the Primitives (part 4)

chapter20a.png

chapter20b.png

(Forgot to take a screenshot until I won the war. Sorry!)

(Timbuktu, Spain)

"General, the war against Songhai was too easy. It was over before we knew it."

"Indeed, they had numbers before. With the fresh 15 thousand troops from Iberia, they are both outnumbered and outmatched. My only regret is not removing them from the map."

"I guess we will have to wait after the truce, general. With only two provinces left, it should be a very quick war."

"Indeed, I don't want to waste anymore time on these primitive people. The longer I stay here, the more I become like them."

"Agreed, general."

5 years later.

"Soldier! Prepare the men! We will wipe out Songhai and then we can finally leave this place."

"Understood, general!"

chapter20c.png

(For those wondering why it's not a crusade, Wasuju is a high cost province, for some reason, with a COT. If I used crusade CB, I would need another war after this to annex them. Reconquest cuts the cost in half and, with 0 infamy before this war, I was willing to take the full 8 infamy.)

A few months later.

"Songhai is ours, general! We can finally return home."

"I'm going to miss Timbuktu. Even though it's not the "city of gold" many had imagined, this province is very rich. Living here made me feel like a king."

"Why don't you stay here, general?"

"I'm getting old, soldier. I wish to be buried with my ancestors in Iberia. I've done my job ...."

A messenger entered.

"General! The emperor sent word for you to attack Ashanti and Benin. Our colonists that arrived recently have been killed by those primitive people."

"So much for a break. Soldier, let's teach these primitives a thing or two."

"Yes, general!"

(Both Benin and Ashanti were annexed with 10 infamy in total. No screenshot available. Below is the Spanish West Africa!)

chapter20f.png