• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good Stuff Mate!!! Keep it Up!!

Thanks! Now, you'll be getting the good stuff. Do enjoy my war with France and England. :p

I do apologize beforehand for the upcoming posts. The war was intense and I only got a few screenshots (no battles screenshots at all :sad:) I will try my best with my dull language to tell you what historians will call The Great War.

Chapter 8 - The Great War (part 1)

Enrique III was happy about his new holdings in Egypt. However, the threat of the France and England alliance is something he must deal sooner or later. The opportunity appeared when the French king died and his son, with a weak claim, rose to the throne. Enrique was a daring gambler and decided to claim the throne and declare war. The odds are against him but he thought he could take on the world. How little did he know what will happen to Castille in the next 16 years.

chapter8a.png

Both France and England were in this war. As for Castille, they only had 30 thousand men guarding the Iberia Peninsula. Some would call that crazy but, with their sprawling kingdom, that's all the nation can spare. What Enrique III hadn't foreseen was the efficiency of the French troops. They swept into Iberia immediately and took 5 provinces right from the bat. Other small nations began the sieges for many other provinces and hope appeared to be lost for Castille. However, the 30 thousand that stayed to guard Iberia weren't giving in. They fought day and night against the enemy and repelled the French main force many times. England, after years of war, has decided to get out of the war for some ducats:

chapter8b.png

Enrique III was quick to agree to the peace deal. He knew that he needed naval superiority if he hopes to accomplish some sort of victory. The war went on as the brave Castille army still managed to keep French troops from reaching their capital. At one point, the French coalition has lost a large number of their troops. Castille army took this opportunity to free the occupied provinces. Just when things started to look good for Castille, terrible news arrived from Egypt.

chapter8d.png

The Jalayirids have formed a border with Castille and things looked terrible. Knowing those heathen's barbaric ways, Enrique III feared that a war with them, therefore the Big Three, may just come at the worst time ever. At the moment, the Iberian Peninsula looks solid as the Castille troops were able to nearly free up all the occupied provinces:

chapter8e.png

The Castille army looked as though they might just have a chance for a counter-attack. France was too busy trying to recruit new troops and the 30 thousand Castille army still stands. Manpower looked as though it may hold. Just when Enrique was preparing to sent his troops into French territory, one of the Big Three decided to drop in for a visit:

chapter8f.png

Attacking from the east, Castillian Egypt was very vulnerable. Only 15 thousand men were situated there and Enrique III immediately ordered the closest 15 thousand men to reinforce. Unfortunately, the closest were a couple months away. He only prayed that they get there in time and end that war before the other 2 Big Three were also brought into the war. Bad news only became worse news when a Sweden diplomat sent Castille their king's declaration of war:

chapter8g.png

Chapter 9 - The Great War (part 2)

(Toledo, Castille)

"My emperor, you must leave here immediately. We fear the French are advancing far quicker than we imagined."

"Are you suggesting me to leave my capital city? That's an absurd request. I started this war and I will end it by fighting to my last breathe."

"Emperor, we can still fight another day. You must get to safety. North Africa is quite safe and you should be well guarded there."

"The next person to advise me on leaving will have their head chopped off. I refuse to run while our brave troops continue to fight against overwhelming odds. Speaking of them, where are they currently?"

"They are in Toledo at the moment, emperor. They recently cut down those foolish enough to siege Granada."

"Good, let them have a short break here. I want to speak with them all."

"Understood, emperor."

The 30 thousand men and their general eagerly await the emperor. For many of them, they knew that they days are numbered. However, it was considered a great honour to see the Emperor in person before death.

"My great soldiers of Castille! I thank you for your service. You are facing overwhelming odds but you refuse to go down without a fight. The French has threatened us for far too long. This war will determine the future of our great nation. We have went from controlling half of the Iberia peninsula to controlling the whole region. We have started crusades to free our brothers in Muslim territory. We have also reclaimed the holy city. We have performed our duties as Catholics and God will be by our side. While we follow the teaching of God, the French were merely abusing their strength on small Catholic nations. Their cowardice will be punished.

I know that upcoming battles will be harsh. Many of you may not see tomorrow. I will assure you that I, the great emperor of Castille, will remain here to fight with you. I will not back away and hide in North Africa! I refuse to be a coward while our brave soldiers fight to protect our glorious empire. Fight on, my great soldiers! Your death will not be in vain. We shall come out victorious! We will be the victors! History will remember us as the nation that took down France!"

The soldiers cheered. They believed God will give them strength. They believed that their victory is assured. With the emperor behind them all the way, nothing could stop these brave men. Nothing.

"That was a great speech, emperor. Even I believe we can win against the French."

"Don't be so gullible! Our men here need a moral boost if they can keep fighting. We have other troubles in our hands. The damn Swedes and the barbaric Jalayirids are now at our doorstep. I just hope our men in Egypt can hold. I do hope God is indeed by our side. You are dismissed."

Chapter 10 - The Great War (part 3)

(Alexandria, Castille)

"General, our reinforcements should arrive in a couple of months. Should we stay put here?"

"Of course not! You want us to be called cowards? The 30 thousand men in Iberia are fighting for our nation with their lives against France. You think I fear the Jalayirids?"

"I'm sorry if I insulted you, general."

"Getting a bit nervous before battle is normal. You'll understand that if you can live to become a general too. How many troops do these Jalayirids have?"

"Our report says they have at least 80 thousand men. Chances are, they will have a lot more."

"15 thousands against 80 thousands. The odds aren't that bad. Prepare the men, we should be heading for the front line."

"There's one more thing, general."

"What is it?"

"Our emperor announced that he would stay in Toledo."

"Well, well, well. I didn't expect that. Soldier, that's another reason why we must take our enemy head on. If the emperor dare to face the French, then surely we won't cower against barbaric nation called Jalayirids. Tell the men our emperor will stand tall in Toledo. Oh yes, tell them that we have no reinforcement."

"But general ..."

"That's my orders! Now carry them out."

(Judea, Castille)

"General, how did you know the enemy would be heading here?"

"This is a holy city for the Muslims as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they want to for themselves as well. Looks like they have arrived. How many siege weapons did they bring with them?"

"From the scout's report, it would appear that they have very little. Our barbaric friends seems to think they can win this war with their weapons alone."

"Don't underestimate them, soldier. Despite their barbaric ways, these are seasoned veterans that know how to win battles. Underestimating them would be our downfall."

"Sorry, general. I got ahead of myself. Looks like they are sending in their first wave. I'm not impressed by their attack. Their soldiers looked like they are poorly equiped. Were they just hastily assembled their troops."

"You're still young. These are merely fodders. The Jalayirids are keeping their veterans for later. They feel that that it's not worth the time of their veterans to charge a city of fresh defenders."

"What's your orders, general?"

"Tell the troops to prepare for a long siege. We must protect the holy city and prevent the enemy from killing Catholics here. We, with God by our side, cannot lose against these barbaric Muslims."

(Gaza, Castille)

"Commandant! Our scouts report that the general is in battle with the enemy."

"I see, tell the men to prepare for battle. We must not let the enemy take the holy city."

"Yes, commandant!"

"You there! Stop shaking like you're scared. It's considered an honour to fight for the holy city. Should you die, you will be heading to heaven. Plus, they are the aggressors. We must show them the might of Christianity."

"Commandant! Reports say another Jalayirid regiment has been spotted near Judea. They are most likely meeting up with their forces in Judea."

"I see. Looks like we will have a tough fight at our hands. Men! Prepare you swords and spears. We will teach them a lesson on warfare. March!"

(Egypt, Castille)

"How's the preparations going? I need to know how many men we have recruited for our cause."

"Great leader, we have close to 40 thousand men ready for strike at your command. However, it would arose suspicion if we gather them all at one place."

"They will be able to cover almost all of Egypt, won't they?"

"Yes! They are eager to fight for the independence of our nation."

"Have you receive any word from our friends? They should be close to ready as well."

"They recently sent a letter saying they will be ready real soon. They know that Allah will guide us to victory."

"Excellent! The time for these Europeans to get out of Egypt is almost here. I could also taste their blood. How's the Jalayirids doing? They must have slaughtered the Castillian army by now."

"Rumours say that the Castillians are outnumbered 2 to 1 and no reinforcements will arrive in months. The victory for our brothers is almost certain."

"Don't be foolish! The Jalayirids aren't our brothers. They wouldn't hesitate to conquer Egypt as well. I hope the two side annihilate each other. Then it would be killing two birds with one stone."

"Brilliant, great leader! We will one day rise above all others. People will fear the great Egyptian army."

"I like the sound of that! The great Egyptian army will one day create an empire like no others!"

"I do think we need to start designing our new flag. An empire must have a flag."

"Yes, you do that. Our preparation is nearly done and you might as well do something equally as important. Do include an eagle somewhere in the flag. I just love those majestic birds."

"Understood! I'll be meeting with some artists right away. We will have something ready when we declare our independence."

"Excellent! Everything is going according to plan. I will soon be an emperor. As for my empress, I'll pick ...."

(Judea, Castille)

My love,

How I miss you and our son so much. Parting with you for a month is painful for me. I wish this war can end now and we can be reunited. Remember my promise to take you to visit the great Alexandria? I intend on keeping that promise. Egypt is such a wondrous place. There are so many exotic things. I wish I could describe them to you but you must see it with your own eyes.

How's the Imperial army doing against the French? I've heard rumours that they are closing in on Toledo. I do pray for your safety.Those vile French will learn the lesson of messing with our great empire. I'm sure of it.

It's been a week since we began fighting the Jalayirids. The enemy proved to be a bigger challenge than I thought. They sent waves after waves but we managed to repel them every time. However, our numbers are growing smaller as the army seems to have no limit. With no reinforcements, we can only rely on ourselves. Do no fear for me, my love. God is by our side and we will win this war. We will teaching the Muslims that we Catholics aren't pushovers. That's all the time I have to write this letter. The enemy is attacking again and I'm needed on the walls. Tell our son to grow strong and fight for our great empire as well.

Your love,

Edwardo

(Toledo, Castille)

My dear Edwardo,

How I miss you too. Our son is growing so quickly. He'll be training and living in our local barrack before you know it. Do not fear for us though. We will not lose to the French. If they dare enter our city, then we'll make sure they won't leave it alive. Our emperor is willing to stay and fight. Why not us ordinary folks? Fight bravely, my love. I know you will succeed. We will be reunited once again. The French has gotten to Aragon but they have not been able to push much further. I know that we will win this.

Still, I cannot believe that the empire cannot spare reinforcements to where you are. Surely, they must know that even Egypt is as important as Iberia itself. I will pray for you along with everyone else with you. We know that you're fighting against overwhelming odds. Do be careful. Rumours have been spreading about possible uprising in Egypt. It's bad enough that you're outnumbered by the Jalayirids but now you may also have to fight rebels. May God grant you strength to defeat them all.

Your love,

Catherina

(Ceuta, Castille)

"Our friends have been rather inpatient lately. I fear they might just get themselves killed."

"I never trusted those Egyptians. They are too arrogant for their own good. However, they still have some value to us."

"Indeed, we must finish our preparations. The future of our people is in our hands. We cannot let this opportunity slip away from us."

"Are you sure this is a good idea? After all, what if we get betrayed?"

"Don't worry about that. Let's just say there's still some trust between the two parties. Success will benefit both sides."

"I sure hope so. I feel we are taking quite a risk."

"If we risk nothing, we risk everything, my friend."

"May Allah bless us."

(Cairo, Castille)

"Great leader! Have you heard? The Castillian army was wiped out in Judea. This is the perfect opportunity for us to strike."

"Can't you see I'm sleeping? What did you say?"

"The Castille army in Judea was wiped out yesterday."

"Why didn't you report to me earlier? I wouldn't have overslept. Tell the men to prepare their weapons. It's time for us to rise again!"

"Of course, great leader. How about our friends?"

"Tell them, of course. After all, they are closer to Iberia and can be a wonderful distraction."

"They are our friends. How could we ...."

"There is no true friendships. They would rid of us if they had a chance as well."

"Understood, I'll send our faster messenger over. Maybe by next year, we'll have our own palace."

"We'll have more than a mere palace. We'll have an empire. Now, get a move on. Time is wasting and I want all this done before my next birthday."

(Ceuta, Castille)

"Maybe we should rethink this. The news of the Castillian army being wiped out in Judea bothers me."

"Friend, my guts tell me that we picked the right path. For our people, we must go through with this. If you keep hesitating, then it might just be the end for our people. Do you want that?"

"Alright, we'll finish what we started. We should be receiving a message from our friends in Egypt soon, right? They probably are rebelling right at this moment."

"I wouldn't be surprised. Their leader wouldn't hesitate with this opportunity. We shouldn't either."

"Fine, prepare the men. We will be marching soon. I just hope this will be over soon and I can actually retire from politics. I feel old, brother."

"Me too. We just need to perform one last duty for our people before we enjoy our retirement."

"Do you hear that? Seems like our friends were more eager than we thought.'

"You're right. Let's go through with our plan, friend. First, we must hear this message of theirs."

(Message)

Friends,

I am writing from Cairo. The news of the annihilated Castille army is a great blessing for us. It is time for us to rise up and be the masters of our own future. By the time this message reaches you, I am more than likely already taken all of Egypt. I pray for your success in North Africa. We will form an unbreakable alliance and show the world the might of our two nations. Do assemble your men quickly as we don't want to Castillians to recover from their loss. I do hope that, by this time next year, we will be dining in my palace and enjoying the freedom. May Allah bless both of us. We will succeed and overthrow the Castillians.

Your friends from Egypt

(Gaza, Castille)

My love,

I have great news! We defeated the Jalayirids' army. To our surprise, we did get reinforcement. They totally surprised the enemy and forced a retreat. We charged out as well and wiped out their entire army before they could reach their own territory. It was a great victory. Unfortunately, more trouble has risen up in Egypt. It would seem that the rebels have began occupying much of Egypt. We now must rush back to take them down. Luckily, moral is high and we know that nothing can defeat us. I hope the war against France is going well. I wish I could be with the Imperial army but Egypt is important to us as well. Maybe, the Jalayirids will surrender after their big loss.

Your love,

Edwardo

"General, I admired the way you defended Jerusalem. If someone else were commanding the troops, I would have little doubt that the city would have fallen already."

"You gave me too much credit, commandant. I admire your little plan."

"You heard about it already? No wonder you're the general. It was a daring plan but I knew it would bring our enemies into the open. They won't be expecting our attack."

"We should rest our men for a day. If they are exhausted, they won't be able to accomplish much."

"I'm glad you're not too eager for glory. Looks like Egypt is in good hands."

"I'm honoured by your compliment. I merely pick the best options. The victory against the Jalayirids is a big moral booster. However, the Egyptian rebels cover a large area. It may take a few months before we can rid them all. I wish we could get some extra help here. I fear the Jalayirids might take advantage of our rebel problems."

"General and commandant! I have a message from the governor of North Africa."

"I'll take that. You're dismissed, soldier."

"What do you think this could be? Don't tell me they want to rebel as well."

"Well, let's see the message and find out, won't we?"

(Message)

Dear General,

I do pray that the news of your annihilation is false. I am currently leading my troops to deal with Egyptian rebels. I wish to show you that the people of North Africa are loyal to the Castille Empire. I admit that I have been keeping in touch with the Egyptian Rebel Leader. However, I will prove my loyalty by eliminating this threat myself. I only wish, if you do see this letter, that the empire will view the people of North Africa as its own citizens. We have all converted to Catholics as well. I hope to see you soon in Egypt. Hopefully, I'll have the head of the Egyptian Rebel Leader by then. May God be with you!

Governor of North Africa

"That was a surprise. I guess God is by our side. General, seems like we will be able to deal with the rebels sooner than expected."

"Yes. I admire the governor. He might have been a former Muslim but he has definitely showed his loyalty. If I do live through this war, I will present this great man to the emperor. This might be the end of distrust between Iberia and North Africa. We are only stronger when we are united."

"There's an oasis ahead. We should rest there for tonight before heading to Cairo."

"Good plan! I'm a little tired myself."

chapter9a.png

(Aragon, Castille)

"General, I brought great news from the capital."

"The French decided to surrender to our terms?"

"No, sir. The Jalayirids offered white peace. Their recent defeat and large number of rebels have paralyzed them. They had enough of the war with us."

"So Egypt is safe. That's great news. If only the French see sense too. They appetite for power will be the downfall of them."

"Agreed, general. The emperor wants an update on the war. He hopes to receive it this week."

"I have some time right now. I'll should be able to get you something by noon."

"Thank you, general!"

(Update on Castilian War for the French Throne War of French Aggression)

The French has been pushing hard but our 30 thousand men regiment has been standing strong. The troops that foolishly head too deep into Iberia gets annihilated instantly. A few key battles against French main forces have all yielded victory. However, the French seems to not know how to give up. For every thousand men we kill, they bring back two thousand. Luckily, the victories have brought the moral of the soldiers to an all-time high. With our soldiers well-equipped and well-fed, we could hold them off indefinitely. There has been a few occasions where we managed to liberate the occupied provinces. We are not giving up until the French had enough of their stupid war. We will continue to defend Iberia with our lives.

(Toledo, Castille)

"My emperor, it would appear that the Swedes would agree to end the war if you concede defeat to them."

"Losing some pride for less enemies to face. I would say I could do that."

"What should I write to them?"

"Have something along the lines: We recognize that Sweden is a powerful nation and will concede defeat to avoid facing their armies."

"We never faced their armies. Their navies appeared a few times but they were largely absent from the war."

"They're cowards. I'm only doing this to have one less enemy to face off against. I need my navy to have free reign if I want to win this War of French Aggression."

"Understood, emperor. Surely, you wouldn't stand for this."

"I'm old now. However, I know one of my descendants will make Sweden pay for their insolence."

chapter9c.png

At this rate you will have a land bridge to India and won't need any colonies:).
BTW subscibed

At this rate you will have a land bridge to India and won't need any colonies:).
BTW subscibed

Thanks a lot for your subscription! Glad I'm getting more readers. As for India, I think it's going to take a while for me to get there. Must deal with those pesky French first.

Chapter 11 - The Great War (Finale)

(Aragon, Castille)

"General, the French managed to sneak one of their regiments to Toledo. I'm afraid our capital is being sieged at this very moment."

"Damn these French. I can't believe I let them through. Order the men to rush back to Toledo at once. We must ensure the safety of our emperor."

"Yes, General. Won't this leave our front wide open?"

"The emperor comes first. We must ensure his safety or all is lost. We have dealt a heavy blow to the French numbers but they seem to hire mercenaries like no tomorrow. Where are they getting these mercenaries?"

"I heard the mercenaries were from Switzerland and Genoa. Apparently, the French pay quite handsomely to mercenaries."

"We don't have anymore time for this chitchat. Move, soldier!"

(Palace, Toledo, Castille)

"Emperor, please escape through the underground passage. We must ensure your safety."

"I'm not leaving! I started this war and, should our empire fall, I will fall with it."

"Please, emperor. If you live, we can still win this war."

"I refuse to leave my capital. Let the enemy come. I'll take a few French down before they take me. Order the royal guards to be well armed. We will fight to our death."

"Guards! Escort the emperor to safety now!"

The guards went and grab the emperor. Despite his resistance, the emperor was carried towards the underground passage. Halfway there, a soldier came and he brought ill news.

"My emperor, the enemy has broken through the gates. They are heading towards here right this minute."

"Let go of me, guards! It seems like it's a bit too late to run now. For those who aren't afraid to die, come with me to fight against the French."

Every single soldiers followed the emperor. All with the goal of protecting their home.

(Toledo, Castille)

"General, the enemies have broken through. Some of our people reported that the French headed straight for the palace."

"Curses! Order the men to rush forward. We must protect the emperor at all cost."

"Look, general. The gate is opening."

"It would seem that the French failed to completely occupy our capital."

A soldier rushed from the gates to meet the general.

"General, we managed to fend of all the French that dared enter our capital."

"Excellent news! Now, how is the emperor doing?"

"The emperor is wounded. He led the royal guards to take on the French. He was outnumbered but he kept fighting. The medic says that he may not live to see tomorrow."

"Oh lord! This can't be. Let me see him immediately!"

"This way, general."

The scene that greeted the general and his men as they entered the gate was gruesome. Many French men lie dead and surrounding them were the bodies of Castillian women, children and seniors. For the sake of their empire, everyone fought against the invaders. Many gave up their lives. The capital may not have been looted but the city appears to be in ruins. The general wanted to stop to help the wounded but he knew that the emperor comes first. The soldier brought the general to the palace. It was clear that an intense battle took place here. Many of those from the royal guards lay dead. The French weren't able to get through the first courtyard. Some soldiers were busy with removing the dead from the palace. The general entered the royal barrack and he saw the emperor lying down in pain.

"Emperor, I'm sorry I wasn't able to stop the French from getting here. I...."

"Don't blame yourself, general. You fought against an overwhelming enemy and prevented the entire Iberian peninsula from being occupied. I only blame myself for this war."

"Emperor, we must get you to safety."

"No need! I know my time is up. However, I only wished I could have died after this crisis. My heir is young. Please, general! Assist my heir. The future of our empire depends on it. P...."

The emperor stopped breathing. The Castillian general and soldiers in the room were silent. The emperor was dead and the empire was still in a fight for its survival. The new emperor, currently in North Africa, had to be informed of this ill news. What future awaits Castille?

(Ceuta, Castille)

"How is the rebel problem?"

"They are under control. Our troops are efficient at dealing with those rebels."

"How about the Egyptian rebels? I heard they were quite numerous."

"The general who was sent to deal with the Jalayirids was quick to annihilate those rebels. The element of surprise was by his side. Of course, it helped that the governor of Africa was leading his troops there as well. The Egyptian rebel leader was beheaded yesterday."

"That is good news. I just hope we can receive good news from Iberia as well. Lately, I heard rumours that the French reached Toledo. I fear for the capital."

"The French are likely trying to lower our moral. We mustn't let their rumours affect us. We will triumph over the invaders."

A soldier entered with an urgent message.

"The emperor is dead!"

(Cairo, Castille)

"General, we have annihilated all the Egyptian rebels. With their leader now dead, this area will be less likely to revolt."

"Excellent, where is the governor? I heard he routed their main army before capturing the rebel leader."

"I fear he isn't well."

"Did he work too hard? I hope a few days of rest will get him back on his feet."

"I'm afraid he's mortally wounded. There was a spy amongst his rank and he was stabbed after he captured the rebel leader."

"Where is he now? I must meet him immediately."

"He's in the palace. I'll lead you there right away."

The soldier led the General quickly to the palace. As they entered the chamber where the governor was in, it was clear that he was drawing his last breathe.

"Is that you, general?"

"Don't speak, my friend. You must rest."

"I know I will be dead soon. However, I hope you can do this dying man one last favour."

"I will tell the emperor that your people are loyal to the empire. They will be viewed as citizens of the empire."

"Thank you! I can now die in peace. I ...."

"Rest well. You have done your empire a great deed. We will remember you."

(Ceuta, Castille)

"What did you say, soldier?"

"The emperor is dead! He fought bravely against the French but he was outnumbered."

"What are the generals doing? Are they camping around drinking? Shouldn't they be defending my father?"

"A French regiment managed to sneak to Toledo. When the general reached the capital, the French have already routed but the emperor was already at his death bed."

The advisor interrupted the conversation.

"Emperor! We must act now. Our empire cannot continue without a leader."

chapter10e.png

"What did you say? I'm not the emperor."

"Not yet. You are the heir of the former emperor and we need you to guide our empire to victory. We don't have time to get you properly crowned. However, all subjects in the empire will recognize you as their emperor."

"Fine, we must deal with the French first."

"I have received report that rebels have begun rising up in France. There is a chance that even the French are tired of this war. We should try to see if we can get a white peace."

"Send our best diplomat! Our empire deserves peace."

chapter10f.png

Chapter 12 - God Rewarding Its Loyal Subject

"Emperor! Emperor! I bring news from France!"

"Let me guess. They want another war with us."

"I doubt they'll be bothering us ever again, emperor."

"You speak as though our war both weakened them and scared them into submission."

"In a way, yes."

"What is this news you bring?"

"The rebels have succeeded against the French!"

chapter11a.png

"Repeat that!"

"The rebels succeeded against the French. Armagnac, Toulouse, Provence and Normandy have all broken free from France."

"Bring me a map, I wish to see how weakened the French is!"

"Here, emperor. I knew you would ask for this."

The advisor handed over a map with the new French borders clearly marked.

chapter11b.png

"God bless us. Father, I wish you were alive to see this. Your war has bear fruit. The French is now severely weakened and we will no longer fear another invasion from them for quite a while."

Huzzah! The war (somewhat) succeeded! oh and following this aar now!