HBS Dev Diary #14: The Nuts & Bolts of Heavy Metal (Part 3)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HBS_RedMenace

Corporal
1 Badges
Feb 23, 2018
  • Harebrained Schemes Staff
The Nuts & Bolts of Heavy Metal, Part Three: Refresh

Hello again, ‘MechFriends! Ryan Burrell, Lead Designer of BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal here. I hope you've all been enjoying Heavy Metal so far. For the last part of my dev diary series, I want to talk about the design work that’s gone into the existing game as part of the free 1.8 update to refresh and improve things.

For context, you should check out my previous post about the planning involved in Heavy Metal and how we defined its design space: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...the-nuts-bolts-of-heavy-metal-part-1.1283539/

I also wrote an in-depth breakdown of the thinking behind each new addition in Heavy Metal, and you can check that out here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...the-nuts-bolts-of-heavy-metal-part-2.1285041/

A huge thanks goes to Andrew McIntosh for editing these posts for both length and clarity!

Ripple Effects
Any time something new is added to a game, it’s like adding a drop of dye to a bucket of colored water. Too few drops doesn’t change the color at all, while too many colors create a muddy, obscuring brown. Generally, the best approach is to pick a color that enhances the existing pool and add a healthy amount of it, causing the water to become deeper or more saturated in its expression.

In my first post I went into detail about the creation of pillars by which we measured our Heavy Metal design work, and how we also defined target audiences to guide our approach. The work in Heavy Metal is intended to be a vibrant splash of color to invigorate the existing game, but these goals weren’t applied only to our new work. Our new color informed substantial updates to the existing game which are intended to enhance the experience for all players.

Building a Shopping List
A common bit of player feedback since 1.0 release is how awesome it feels to find better gear in stores, but also how frustrating it can be to track down because it’s so random and extremely sparse. There are many items in the game that have been functionally absent because the chances of finding them have been staggeringly low. A passion project for me in this update was to address those challenges as part of the goal of making players feel more powerful. This would also work to provide better access to new toys (even if those toys have been in the game for some time).

This was no small task: our stores operate via a fairly convoluted loot system with weighting tables. This was compounded by having few “buckets” for items to be sorted in, yielding an exceedingly small chance that any given item would appear in a star system’s shop. To fix this, I intended to add new, exclusive loot tables that would reliably provide more specific types of gear (lasers, autocannons, gyros, LosTech, etc). I then wanted to make certain these were dispersed across our star systems, tied to the tagging of a planet’s main industry (manufacturing, mining, battlefield wreckage, and so on.)

Making any sort of adjustment to this would be a massive drop into the BATTLETECH bucket, so I had to be extra certain I knew what color I was using. My first step was to create a new series of loot tables to use in stores that were exclusive to a thematic category of gear. For example, I made a set of tables that contained only gyros and arm/leg actuators with the intent that a planet tagged as a “battlefield” would always generate items for purchase only from its list.

I’m attaching a PDF print of my planning matrix for this and the subsequent loot tables if anyone is curious about a look under the hood (also useful for modding!) : https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/public/515807/Stores_Heavy-Metal.pdf

Fun Fact: I was a web developer before I starting working in games. To approach the task of overhauling the tagging and store assignment, I made myself a tool using a combination of Python and JavaScript set up on a local webserver. This mini-site ran through all the JSON files for our star systems and then displayed them in a map similar to the one shown in-game. This local map had iconography to reflect the specific tagging of planets and the ability to re-tag them easily.

Here are some screenshots I took that show the progression of my editing process. You should be able to click on them and expand to the full size of what the page spit out:

index.php

Start: The planets and tags present in pre-1.8 BATTLETECH.

index.php

Midway: Planets now tagged with broader industry types and more even distribution.

index.php

Finish: Last distribution tweaks and an added legend for QA debugging.

index.php

Console output showing the total assignments.

It’s important to note that all the work above is “just” in regards to the underlying data that powers the BATTLETECH economy. Planets have a lot of tags on them beyond just their industry, so more work would be required to surface these updates to the player: that’s where the new store filter dropdown came in. Creating a new filter on the navigation screen with a tooltip now gives players the ability to understand what these store types mean and to seek them out specifically.

index.php

On the right: the new store filter dropdown for the star map.

Newfound LosTech
Another colorful drop I wanted to add in was a rebalancing of the LosTech weapons that have been present in previous updates. We’ve received feedback over time that LosTech feels underwhelming compared to ++ versions of standard tech weapons. Given the store overhaul above and that finding existing LosTech is more reliable (due to storyline outcomes from the Heavy Metal flashpoint campaign), that feeling would be even more pronounced in a post-1.8 world.

My goal was to make the baseline LosTech gear as powerful as the ++ versions of standard tech, and to grow from there via ++ versions (yes, they do exist!). LosTech is incredibly expensive, so if a player buys it they should definitely feel it’s worth the cost. To this end, every piece of pre-existing LosTech — ER Lasers, Pulse Lasers, ER PPCs, and the Gauss Rifle — has received a re-tuning of some of their attributes to make them feel as powerful as they are expensive.

In a way, this is a soft addition of a brand new line of weapons since they now behave differently and were previously almost non-existent.

In Conclusion
Thanks for reading! If you’ve managed to make it through all three of my posts, you’re extra special and I applaud your fortitude. I hope these posts have conveyed the amount of thought and reasoning that we’ve put into the Heavy Metal release and the 1.8 update. Just as importantly, I hope you’ve been given a bit of understanding as to why and how we approach our work and the things we were trying to achieve in bringing new experiences to you.

We're excited for everyone that's got their hands on this update so far, and are excited to hear your feedback and your stories from the battlefield.

O7, MechWarriors!

- Ryan (RedMenace)

Attachments

• Stores_Heavy-Metal.pdf
    378,4 KB · Views: 208
  • uixTxrSpot_StarmapV2-Example.png
    uixTxrSpot_StarmapV2-Example.png
    322,2 KB · Views: 1.750
  • starmap_revisions_tags-stores_Phase2-Count.png
    starmap_revisions_tags-stores_Phase2-Count.png
    8,4 KB · Views: 1.708
  • starmap_revisions_tags-stores_Phase3.png
    starmap_revisions_tags-stores_Phase3.png
    293,8 KB · Views: 1.781
  • starmap_revisions_tags-stores_Phase2.png
    starmap_revisions_tags-stores_Phase2.png
    290,5 KB · Views: 1.736
  • starmap_revisions_tags-stores_PhaseStart.png
    starmap_revisions_tags-stores_PhaseStart.png
    258 KB · Views: 1.754
I love to have these peeks behind the HBS-curtains again.

I hate that Paradox never bothers to put any of them on the Forums' front page... and that my questions about a paradox wiki for BATTLETECH keeps being ignored. Seriously what's wrong here?

Thank you for the extended look behind the curtain of Battletech.

I hope that the pdf file and the maps in the screenshots help those wishing to mod the store system success in their endeavors.

Last edited:
I am almost sad that the HEAVY METAL Series of Dev Diaries is now complete!

I was getting very used to the sure knowledge that Ryan and Team HBS would have another Dev Diary nugget of HEAVY METAL gold coming to us in the following week. This was fun. :bow:

But Ryan’s mission is now complete and he can get back to working on whatever is coming next! : )

" common bit of player feedback since 1.0 release is how awesome it feels to find better gear in stores, but also how frustrating it can be to track down because it’s so random and extremely sparse. There are many items in the game that have been functionally absent because the chances of finding them have been staggeringly low. "

Sorry Disagree strongly - It is supposed to be very rare - I do not like the new store system at all personally - Just my opinion
Considering rolling back to 1.71 but have stopped playing in the meantime

would it be possible to add an option to reduce the Lostech availability? I am a grognard, and when i think of 3020, i think of the lack of lost tech. Finding even a single ERLL in the ruble of a Star League base was HUGE, and that's how i like it. Now, i found LB-2X ammo (which shouldn't even exist yet) for sale on the starting .5 skull world in the middle of the periphery. I find that jarring, and it breaks my immersion.

I know other people like all the new toys, but i would like an option that reduces them to a more lore friendly ratio.

Absolutely love the current state of the game, this is right at what I was hoping for after year one and the revamp of the stores give so many cool possibilities!
Thanks for all your work!

Darius might give crap intel, but I guess we get to have a more complete Amazon.com available!

With all the details and modding available, the players that want to change the percentages can, so we all win!

Rock On!

As already said above, that change made people wanting easy access to stuff happy and people wanting hard access to stuff unhappy. I've only recently bought this game because I was told it was supposed to be a 3025 experience. It is not. It was a week ago, but not anymore.

Why weren't the rich stores introduced as an option? This game is 1,5 years old, there are tons of descriptions of it and discussions about it already on the internet. In terms of player progression, all those descriptions and discussions are now rendered untrue.

Not a good move.

Uh . . . huh.

So who's going to be the one to make the one singular "Unofficial HBS BattleTech wiki", rather than the two-to-four I recall running across?

would it be possible to add an option to reduce the Lostech availability? I am a grognard, and when i think of 3020, i think of the lack of lost tech. Finding even a single ERLL in the ruble of a Star League base was HUGE, and that's how i like it. Now, i found LB-2X ammo (which shouldn't even exist yet) for sale on the starting .5 skull world in the middle of the periphery. I find that jarring, and it breaks my immersion.

I know other people like all the new toys, but i would like an option that reduces them to a more lore friendly ratio.
If you play the Heavy Metal campaign, you find out that there's a specific entity responsible for a bunch of these items hitting the stores.

In a way, this is a soft addition of a brand new line of weapons since they now behave differently and were previously almost non-existent.

I appreciate the whole post, and that sentence in particular clarifies something for me (and helps me set me own expectations for the experience).

I'm a long-time Battletech fan, so I had some initial skepticism of the ++ weaponry, which felt like a way to make the players more powerful while departing from the board game.

Over time I appreciated the ways in which that helped the feel of the game (gave individual mechs more character, made rewards (or losses) more varied and interesting, made the combat faster, . . . ) but my tabletop roots also meant that I was happy with it being rare.

However my play style is such that I've started a couple of campaigns but never finished one yet -- I tend to stop around the point at which I'm consistently doing 4+ skull missions. For my tastes the game slows down at that point and eventually I end up starting over to play with lights and mediums again.

That influences which rare items I end up using. Because SRM6+++ are fairly common (as loot from killing SRM carriers), I tend to use a lot of them and that's an incentive towards SRM-heavy builds. By contrast, I've never gotten a Gauss Rifle in any of my careers. The only time I've used one was in my original Campaign.

So the change to the shops might just mean that I have the option to make builds other than SRM-boats and still be able to have an ample supply of shiny toys.

I like that idea. It wasn't something that I would have asked for, but I now understand how it will add variety to my BATTLETECH experience, and that's a good thing!

Thanks for all the feedback - I'm glad you appreciate the look behind the scenes!

If you're interested in modding the balance of items in the game, I'll direct you to this thread I responded to over in the modding subforum to get you started down that path: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-a-mod-to-make-rare-stuff-rare-again.1288158/

I don't disagree with the desire for wanting another setting to more finely tune your difficulty and gameplay arc. Rigging those up can be at times more difficult than it might seem, but in general that we've been happy to look into adding those where possible.

I'm just amazed at the menu of 'Mech parts which are popping up now, it went from a "few" to a rather broad selection. Only one or two usually, so it feels a lot like slowly piecing something together from several systems of battlefield salvage . . . but it's jarring!

Love the new store system.
I feel like I have a choice between upgrading the Argo or buying that piece of a King Crab and telling the crew they're eating lettuce leaves for the next few months.