• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I thought Unseen refers to all the old, classical types of mechs.

the unseen usually refer to mechs whose origins lie in 3 anime shows from the late 70s and 80s;
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Crusher Joe
Fang of the Sun: Dougram

the unseen usually refer to mechs whose origins lie in 3 anime shows from the late 70s and 80s;
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Crusher Joe
Fang of the Sun: Dougram

Note well, only the first item on this list was legally contended, the others were quickly removed as a safety precaution.

Greetings Mechwarriors,

We're straying off on a tangent.
Please take tangents elsewhere.

Thank you

Back on topic - destroying buildings is fun and it's entirely a great thing there are absolutely no civilian casualties when I bring down a high-rise with an AC/20 shot going wide.

Back on topic - destroying buildings is fun and it's entirely a great thing there are absolutely no civilian casualties when I bring down a high-rise with an AC/20 shot going wide.

Aye, though it is a bit of a let-down seeing all those missiles cruising through the buildings to hit your target (I remember seeing such in this last stream, with elements of the third lance shooting to HBS_CaptKerberos lance). Either having the missiles take a higher curve or having a chance for each missile to hit said building would be better, but we don't know if it's possible in the first place. :confused:

Ah well, I'll still have fun jumping up and down and using the buildings as cover. :D
Don't know if it will be worth the loss of ammo and/or heat-buildup to knock down a building either to make a firing line or to bring an enemy mech down.

If I've read right, everything is in scale with each other except for mechs, which are about 25% bigger than they should be (often because they could get lost in foliage or otherwise be tougher to see). Adjusting the mech scale to make the whole game 1:1 is an easy .json edit though.

The MechCommander Centi is more or less the original look. Tall, and thin. The other version you've seen is a redesign by PGI, and which is used here, and, in MWO. Anything before MWO would have used something similar to the original art.

CN-Centurion.png
mechwarrior_online_centurion_concept.jpg

The old art is not unseen art. It's just old. Unseen refers to a specific group of 'mech's older art, not everything that is old.

Gotta say I much prefer the MWO version. To me it looks a lot more solid & badass. :)

Gotta say I much prefer the MWO version. To me it looks a lot more solid & badass. :)

I agree as well. I think the Centurion has greatly benefited from PGI's update. I also think the Catapult and Kintaro has also greatly benefitted from it as well.

I do like PGI's version of the Marauder also, however I seem to be in the minority on that one.

There isn't many instances where I think PGI made a misstep. If I had to pick one I'd say maybe the Wolfhound. Also maybe the Quickdraw, although not as much. I also think some people are not crazy about the Awesome design (too wide and too boxy), however I like the look of the Awesome myself.

I agree as well. I think the Centurion has greatly benefited from PGI's update. I also think the Catapult and Kintaro has also greatly benefitted from it as well.

I do like PGI's version of the Marauder also, however I seem to be in the minority on that one.

There isn't many instances where I think PGI made a misstep. If I had to pick one I'd say maybe the Wolfhound. Also maybe the Quickdraw, although not as much. I also think some people are not crazy about the Awesome design (too wide and too boxy), however I like the look of the Awesome myself.

Overall I like how made most mechs from PGI, but really do not like the Battlemaster and Awesome.

If I've read right, everything is in scale with each other except for mechs, which are about 25% bigger than they should be (often because they could get lost in foliage or otherwise be tougher to see). Adjusting the mech scale to make the whole game 1:1 is an easy .json edit though.

This is correct, 'Mechs have a 1.25 scale value in the files. However I think that's a 1.0 based on MWO scales, which seem a bit taller than the various blueprints and other scalable things in older lore. Keep in mind, lore scale is a shifting beast, but I prefer a 0.9 scale with some tweaks to the outliers. Downside is melee hits connecting and movement becomes odd the further you drift from 1.0-1.25. I absolutely lose tiny units in trees at this scale, sometimes that's nice as it happens in the books, but mostly it's frustrating I lost track of it. The new markers on top of units might help alleviate this.

Once we get 1.6, I want to see how 'Mechs scale up vs the cars at 1.0 or lower.

Agree overall, except it was a let-down with the cockpit of the Battlemaster and the "handguns" on the Phoenix Hawk, the Incubus and the Vapor Eagle. Still, definitely an improvement/positive modernization of the drawings in the TRO's. :)

EDIT: And Stellaris's new DLC is also coming June 4th. Oh the injustice, I won't be able to try both! Woe is me... :(
(sorry, Paradox, but it's UW I'm most eager for. but starting Jne 6th I'll have 3 days off, so I'll definitely try it out extensively then)

Last edited:
Agree overall, except it was a let-down with the cockpit of the Battlemaster and the "handguns" on the Phoenix Hawk, the Incubus and the Vapor Eagle. Still, definitely an improvement/positive modernization of the drawings in the TRO's. :)

The "Handguns" on the Phoenix Hawk are ok IMO. At least I can how they were trying to integrate the weapons in traditional imagery with the new aesthetic. In a game (MWO/ HBS BattleTech) where a mech can't pick up weapons, a gun aesthetic is probably not very practical (even within the world of stompy mechs). Still, I chalk it up to creative license by the mech designer/engineers/factory :).

You and @MadWolf did just remind me of the BattleMaster. I forgot how polarizing that mech was when it was unveiled. Yeah, it wasn't the best adaptation either IMO (being boxy in torso and cockpit). It isn't ugly to me, but it also isn't the most recognizable either.

Looking at the bright side though, it's cockpit does look kind of cool from the pilot's seat. I know this doesn't mean much in HBS's BattleTech, but for MWO and MW5, it is a nice place to sit. It sort of reminds me of an attack chopper cockpit the way it is laid out in tandem. I think the MechWarrior is sitting in front, and there is a Commander's position above and behind the pilot. It's sort of hard to tell for sure, but I think that is how it is laid out.

battlemaster.PNG

battlemaster2.PNG

Thanks. It was pretty cool. But I can't take credit for the art on that project. On that shift I was doing game design. Heinz Schuller as I recall was the AD on all that stuff.

While I realize we'll likely never get an answer on this, I have always wondered why Microsoft never went beyond MW4:Mercenaries, they had the time line set up for the WoB invasion, even had released or it got leaked, a screen shot of a Vulture in what would have likely been MW5. I've always wondered if the shift to consoles, and the turmoil that Microsoft Game Studios on the PC side of things turned into at that time was on of the reasons the game got canned and subsequently MS decided to sit on every FASA property they had acquired for over a decade until PGI and HBS started to license the properties from MS. I'm taking a guess here that you were around during this time? Any light that can be shed on just what happened?

On topic you guys have done pretty amazing work here in just a short time period. Nice to see another long time BT/MW developer come back to the fold so to speak.

denial isnt just a river in egypt...it is a state of being