• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ali.usman

Captain
13 Badges
Jan 8, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
Guys,

This is not a feature request as this feature wont add any advantage to the game but just a questions,

How many people thought about having "Internet/Telephone" for Cims? :unsure: and having Internet
- Increases the happiness in residential area
- Provides boost to economy
- Helps people to shop online without going out
- Helps kids to perform well in education

Again, this is not a feature request , i was just thinking how many people thought about this.

Cheers

If Cims could have internet connection, they can buy cities:skylines on steam and play cities:skylines in our cities:skylines. And CO can get more simulated money. That would be great!!

Guys,

This is not a feature request as this feature wont add any advantage to the game but just a questions,

How many people thought about having "Internet/Telephone" for Cims? :unsure: and having Internet

Again, this is not a feature request , i was just thinking how many people thought about this.

Cheers

Yeah this is actually kinda interesting - treat it like a utility. You can run copper early on, but later upgrade to fiber, wireless, etc. Run it like you run water.

Data-centers could be utility sources (like power plants). Plop a data-center, then wire up fiber, copper, etc to different neighborhoods. Education and happiness increase.

For office and industry, you keep them connected as a baseline, but if you add super high speed connections, you can develop more advanced high tech businesses....

This is a great idea!

I don't know how much power we will have with mods, but I will build this if we can. It would be a great addition in future DLC.

(I just realized this is sorta like the network stuff in SimCity 2013: Cities of Tomorrow, but that was just fluff - this could be a deep gameplay system).

Or it might:

-Reduce happiness due to increased 'real' social isolation
-Hit the economy hard, due to ill-health and productivity losses
-Help people not to go out... Is that an oxymoron?
-Reduce educational attainment due to kids staying up all night playing city-builders
-lots of other stuff too

Who knows... I'm pretty sure that nothing is ever one sided though, well, nothing interesting anyway.

would be nice if you could start the game in the 1980s or before and something like this becomes a demand later on in the 90s and more so as time goes on ect.

Be nice to have to run telephone and cable lines and stuff as well

If Cims could have internet connection, they can buy cities:skylines on steam and play cities:skylines in our cities:skylines. And CO can get more simulated money. That would be great!!

Yeah, but it would also lag our computers to death, having to simulate the cities in the Cities Skylines in the game.

I would love to see telephone and internet in the game, though it is not essential to survival in the way other utilities are! It could follow an upgrade path, e.g. telephone, dial-up, broadband, fast broadband.

Can't say I agree with the suggested boost to happiness, economy or education. I'd rather see it replace (and therefore negatively impact) retail and libraries. You would then need to implement policies to halt decline and encourage people to come back. The happiness of cims would be reduced when technologies become obsolete, until they are upgraded.

yep . I would like to build more station towers for mobile phone to cover all area for increasing CIMS happiness. Set different charge plans for different district to earn money.

This is a great idea!

I don't know how much power we will have with mods, but I will build this if we can. It would be a great addition in future DLC.

(I just realized this is sorta like the network stuff in SimCity 2013: Cities of Tomorrow, but that was just fluff - this could be a deep gameplay system).

are you a modder ? :)

and what do you mean by Network (i cant recall anything like that in cities of tomorrow)

Pretty cool idea - Broadband Internet has really become a utility these days, almost as important as running water and electricity. It could work in a similar way to electricity, but with different tiers like dialup, DSL, fiber etc.

District heating is another utility that I haven't seen in a city builder yet. It's used fairly extensively in Swedish cities to provide cheap, reliable heating, and as an excuse to dig up roads and mess up traffic :unsure:

Haha, its funny that you posted this, because I've been thinking about the same thing lately also. I guess I have been thinking about internet and infrastructure a lot lately because we don't have a landline ISP (Verizon mobile... Yay..) It would be neat if we could lay down fiber in industrial and residential and make people happy, or give them DSL or none and their happiness over that would depend on their education and skill levels.

I would love something like this, but there is no way they could make it so it generates profit. That would simply be boring. Increasing happiness and generating profit with no downside, there would be zero reason *not* to fill your entire city with it ASAP.

I would love something like this, but there is no way they could make it so it generates profit. That would simply be boring. Increasing happiness and generating profit with no downside, there would be zero reason *not* to fill your entire city with it ASAP.

yeah, I don't think it should make profit. You should lose profit from it. Maybe you can tax your citizens higher because of it and get some, if not, all of your profit back.

Also, I thought that this wouldn't be too too hard to add. You could get the same system that pipes have. You can just copy that, and rename everything. I might be wrong though, I don't know how to mod.

There is actually an old, quite detailed thread about this, which includes an idea for both internet as "utility" along with the various upgrades, dial-up -> fibre and the various need for datacentre and internet transit bits. The thread also included a Telephone/mobile communications idea, with masts....it was carefully thought out. You can find it here http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?804912-Telecom-networks

Likewise, a full "postal" service, again as a Utility, was discussed.