Has anyone thought about this?

• We will be taking the forums down for scheduled maintenance on Monday, May 17th 2021 at 8:00 CDT / 15:00 UTC for approximately 3 hours.
  • Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

ali.usman

Captain
11 Badges
Jan 8, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Impire
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Prison Architect
Guys,

This is not a feature request as this feature wont add any advantage to the game but just a questions,

How many people thought about having "Internet/Telephone" for Cims? :unsure: and having Internet
- Increases the happiness in residential area
- Provides boost to economy
- Helps people to shop online without going out
- Helps kids to perform well in education

Again, this is not a feature request , i was just thinking how many people thought about this.

Cheers

yupog2003

Corporal
11 Badges
Jan 29, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
If Cims could have internet connection, they can buy cities:skylines on steam and play cities:skylines in our cities:skylines. And CO can get more simulated money. That would be great!!

gsxdsm

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Jan 29, 2015
Guys,

This is not a feature request as this feature wont add any advantage to the game but just a questions,

How many people thought about having "Internet/Telephone" for Cims? :unsure: and having Internet

Again, this is not a feature request , i was just thinking how many people thought about this.

Cheers

Yeah this is actually kinda interesting - treat it like a utility. You can run copper early on, but later upgrade to fiber, wireless, etc. Run it like you run water.

Data-centers could be utility sources (like power plants). Plop a data-center, then wire up fiber, copper, etc to different neighborhoods. Education and happiness increase.

For office and industry, you keep them connected as a baseline, but if you add super high speed connections, you can develop more advanced high tech businesses....

This is a great idea!

I don't know how much power we will have with mods, but I will build this if we can. It would be a great addition in future DLC.

(I just realized this is sorta like the network stuff in SimCity 2013: Cities of Tomorrow, but that was just fluff - this could be a deep gameplay system).

FourWinds

Captain
13 Badges
Aug 18, 2014
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
Or it might:

-Reduce happiness due to increased 'real' social isolation
-Hit the economy hard, due to ill-health and productivity losses
-Help people not to go out... Is that an oxymoron?
-Reduce educational attainment due to kids staying up all night playing city-builders
-lots of other stuff too

Who knows... I'm pretty sure that nothing is ever one sided though, well, nothing interesting anyway.

Leermeister

Major
On Probation
11 Badges
Jul 13, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
would be nice if you could start the game in the 1980s or before and something like this becomes a demand later on in the 90s and more so as time goes on ect.

Be nice to have to run telephone and cable lines and stuff as well

charlesnew

Colonel
9 Badges
Aug 20, 2014
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities in Motion 2
If Cims could have internet connection, they can buy cities:skylines on steam and play cities:skylines in our cities:skylines. And CO can get more simulated money. That would be great!!

Yeah, but it would also lag our computers to death, having to simulate the cities in the Cities Skylines in the game.

peteij

Sergeant
10 Badges
Oct 7, 2014
I would love to see telephone and internet in the game, though it is not essential to survival in the way other utilities are! It could follow an upgrade path, e.g. telephone, dial-up, broadband, fast broadband.

Can't say I agree with the suggested boost to happiness, economy or education. I'd rather see it replace (and therefore negatively impact) retail and libraries. You would then need to implement policies to halt decline and encourage people to come back. The happiness of cims would be reduced when technologies become obsolete, until they are upgraded.

nicestar

Recruit
11 Badges
Jan 17, 2015
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris
yep . I would like to build more station towers for mobile phone to cover all area for increasing CIMS happiness. Set different charge plans for different district to earn money.

ali.usman

Captain
11 Badges
Jan 8, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Impire
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Prison Architect
lol i didn't know you guys will like the idea that much :rolleyes: oh well who doesn't like the internet lol

ali.usman

Captain
11 Badges
Jan 8, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Impire
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Prison Architect
This is a great idea!

I don't know how much power we will have with mods, but I will build this if we can. It would be a great addition in future DLC.

(I just realized this is sorta like the network stuff in SimCity 2013: Cities of Tomorrow, but that was just fluff - this could be a deep gameplay system).

are you a modder ? :)

and what do you mean by Network (i cant recall anything like that in cities of tomorrow)

JimmiG

Captain
14 Badges
Dec 19, 2014
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
Pretty cool idea - Broadband Internet has really become a utility these days, almost as important as running water and electricity. It could work in a similar way to electricity, but with different tiers like dialup, DSL, fiber etc.

District heating is another utility that I haven't seen in a city builder yet. It's used fairly extensively in Swedish cities to provide cheap, reliable heating, and as an excuse to dig up roads and mess up traffic :unsure:

RustyCool

Sergeant
5 Badges
Jan 15, 2015

It would end in an infinite loop and the world as we know it would collapse!

Chad_

Recruit
Feb 4, 2015
Haha, its funny that you posted this, because I've been thinking about the same thing lately also. I guess I have been thinking about internet and infrastructure a lot lately because we don't have a landline ISP (Verizon mobile... Yay..) It would be neat if we could lay down fiber in industrial and residential and make people happy, or give them DSL or none and their happiness over that would depend on their education and skill levels.

Kiszipi

Recruit
2 Badges
Apr 6, 2013
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
This idea came Up before. Hopefully the devs heard it and made space for us to Maybe make mods like this one.
Great idea though.

redjericho3

Second Lieutenant
Jan 31, 2015
I would love something like this, but there is no way they could make it so it generates profit. That would simply be boring. Increasing happiness and generating profit with no downside, there would be zero reason *not* to fill your entire city with it ASAP.

charlesnew

Colonel
9 Badges
Aug 20, 2014
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities in Motion 2
I would love something like this, but there is no way they could make it so it generates profit. That would simply be boring. Increasing happiness and generating profit with no downside, there would be zero reason *not* to fill your entire city with it ASAP.

yeah, I don't think it should make profit. You should lose profit from it. Maybe you can tax your citizens higher because of it and get some, if not, all of your profit back.

Also, I thought that this wouldn't be too too hard to add. You could get the same system that pipes have. You can just copy that, and rename everything. I might be wrong though, I don't know how to mod.

nitram78

Sergeant
Nov 28, 2014

There is actually an old, quite detailed thread about this, which includes an idea for both internet as "utility" along with the various upgrades, dial-up -> fibre and the various need for datacentre and internet transit bits. The thread also included a Telephone/mobile communications idea, with masts....it was carefully thought out. You can find it here http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?804912-Telecom-networks

Likewise, a full "postal" service, again as a Utility, was discussed.

ali.usman

Captain
11 Badges
Jan 8, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Impire
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Prison Architect
yeah, I don't think it should make profit. You should lose profit from it. Maybe you can tax your citizens higher because of it and get some, if not, all of your profit back.

Cims will pay money for internet like $99 a month :)