Has anyone been able to spawn a custom pop_faction in 3.4 without a CTD?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pancakelord

Lord of Pancakes
43 Badges
Apr 7, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Darkest Hour
Title.
I've been trying to implement a custom faction, which was not a problem to do prior to overlord/3.4.

However, i've been running in to constant CTDs trying to get any extra factions working.

I tried a ton of different combinations, like stripping out the faction (in case the create events were an issue) but no luck.

Even if I take this to the extreme, and just copy a vanilla faction (e.g. 00_propsperity), increment the file name (00_prosperity_1) and change the faction name (so literally just a duped faction with a different name) I still get a CTD. Such as below.

Has anyone else been getting this? Or has anyone else been able to get a modded faction to spawn in without a ctd?

(vanilla on right)
1652640827046.png

If I delete this new "colonialist_lobby" (00_prosperity_1) faction out, the game can spawn factions again without crashing - both naturally and via the console {factions.spawnall}.

Cant say I’ve heard of this before. Posting both the crash and error logs would be useful though.
Sure, thing.
  1. I've stripped it all down and re-CTDed, to make the crashlog cleaner for you:
    • vanilla stellaris with all DLC &
    • 1 dummy mod in load order ("dummy_mod") with a single file in it (common\pop_faction_types\00_prosperity_01.txt - which is just the prosperity faction with it's name changed).
  2. New game, UNE, default galaxy settings
  3. get past the start/origin text window
  4. console cmd> factions.spawnall
  5. CTD.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the name structure changes in 3.4? I've had plenty of crashes when abusing factions in the past, in weird ways, but this is the first time I've seen a reference to a randomnamedatabase in the error log. Might be coincidence though.
Code:
[21:28:08][pop_factions_country_module.cpp:195]: Calling random inside forbidden area!position: "D:\jenkins\workspace\augustus\augustus\augustus\source\pop_factions_country_module.cpp:195"
[21:28:08][pop_faction.cpp:812]: Calling random inside forbidden area!position: "D:\jenkins\workspace\augustus\augustus\augustus\source\pop_faction.cpp:812"
[21:28:08][pop_faction.cpp:793]: Calling random inside forbidden area!position: "D:\jenkins\workspace\augustus\augustus\augustus\source\pop_faction.cpp:793"
[21:28:08][randomnamedatabase.cpp:692]: Calling random inside forbidden area!position: "D:\jenkins\workspace\augustus\augustus\augustus\source\randomnamedatabase.cpp:692"
[21:28:08][pop_faction.cpp:716]: Calling random inside forbidden area!position: "D:\jenkins\workspace\augustus\augustus\augustus\source\pop_faction.cpp:716"

Code:
Unhandled exception C0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 0x00007FF6AB5185CD

full crash dump folder is in the attached zip file.

Attachments

• stellaris_20220515_212808.zip
    4,3 MB · Views: 0
Yes, crashes for me, too. Loading the game works fine, playing works fine too, until a bit after year 10 when factions can start forming and then it crashes.

Reactions:
Yes, crashes for me, too. Loading the game works fine, playing works fine too, until a bit after year 10 when factions can start forming and then it crashes.
You can also comment out the can_faction_spawn condition, or use Parliamentary system civic, and they'll try and spawn 6 months in or something (and crash then too).