• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
Hello everyone!

I think it’s pretty amazing that we’re coming up on the seven year anniversary of Crusader Kings II, which was released on February 14, 2012. The journey has been both long and intense so far, with 15 expansions (of varying scope) released. We’ve had our share of hardships, for sure, and the team has changed completely several times over (except for me, of course), but that has only made the triumphs all the sweeter! Expansions like The Old Gods, Way of Life, The Reaper’s Due and Holy Fury are some of my personal favorites, but I’m proud of them all as they now stand.

So, it’s safe to say we have learned a great deal about how to develop and expand upon a game long after release; what works well and what doesn’t. Holy Fury doesn’t just represent the culmination of that knowledge, but was also a labor of genuine passion and love by the whole team (and folks not actually on the team!)

In the nearest future, during the first parts of 2019, we aim to release a couple of free updates to Crusader Kings II including bug fixes, polish and some minor features not warranting their own dedicated expansions. We’ll tell you more about the first one in a few weeks. Rest assured that Crusader Kings II is still very much alive, especially with the Crusader Kings the Board Game coming up as well! Stay tuned for more news later this year!

Meet the Development Team

Speaking of the changes to the CK2 team over the years, here is the 2019 lineup:

3IeCaKlSuthanhyQurqD_3NyYsdnchhSediLUsJWquHse9rHwvR7x9s_30iJm3rY-ztM1tWiwozSlWcry_jN60ynqYLS-Io7elGN0g3mTzUZZTqdu7IORA97YHy3vL4q0afUO4fg

Henrik - Game Director - In charge of the overall direction of the game.
Yours truly. Been on the team since… well, Crusader Kings I.

image (1).png

Dan - Producer/ Designer - In charge of planning, budgeting and making sure things get done. Also does design.
Originally got CK2 for free in a magazine, now I work on it.

DSC_0616.JPG

Joel - Programmer/ Designer - In charge of coding features, fixing bugs and crashes. Also does design.
Lurked on the forums for 8 years before becoming a developer.

DSC_0411.jpg

Milla - Content Designer/ Designer - In charge of scripting new features and creating content and events. Also does design. Resident plant-keeper who's been bringing you death and drama for three years now.

pIM_gqD_fDKm9VRLyqQWhTX5Q5PN3mUBxYcu2wwaVVDoPf1gQDcRYnkEf_k-eZSHBh6HEoTufH4Em-7RLRZGx3lrkKyZWu2U11GQQ63NoxhCXrvlUmFNmy3QfGkV3TveqYbjGQ0X

Andreas - Quality Assurance - In charge of testing and finding bugs.

Unusually pale, introverted and Vitamin-D deficient even by Swedish standards. Has an unhealthy relationship with multiplayer testing. Once beat Johan "Johan" Andersson himself in a game of Boules and still has a shiny medal to show for it.

Daniel the second.jpg

Daniel
- Programmer - Responsible for coding features, fixing bugs and crashes. Not a vampire.

Johan - Programmer - Responsible for coding features, fixing bugs and crashes. Vampire Human programmer.

There is of course a also a whole host of other people working on the game behind the scenes from extra QA to community managers and translators.

Thanks for your time, we’ll be back shortly to share more news on the coming free content update!

Last edited by a moderator:
We love you all, you crazy game-developing vampires <3

Let's hope 2019 will be as good as or even better than 2018 for CK II!

Love you, guys, and the work you do, I hope for a lot more time. There is something that I would love to know: after the patches of early 2019 are you planning a new expansion or will the game remain as it is? Maybe it is too soon for you to tell anything but hope is the last thing you lose :)

"we’ll be back shortly to share more news on the coming free content update!"

By shortly you mean next week or later today? Asking for a friend.

Wait has Doomdark been lead this entire time? I had gotten the impression he had moved on to other things at some point. Not that I complain his vision for crusader kings fit fairly well with my own so I am glad o hear it. I remember him comparing it to the sims, and those aspects is something I really like about the game.

Also as for CK2 is very much alive, I think we can be fairly sure they'll never tell us "this is the last DLC for ck2" instead the dlcs will get less frequent up until they announce ck3.

east asia map expansion next?
I would much rather see the map pushed south to the northernmost swahili coast. And my guess is the next DLC will focus on giving east africa, the middle east, arabia and the muslim religions the same treatment that europe and christianity got in holy fury.

Joel's cat looks more magnanimous than any of my kings in 1500 hours of gameplay!

Hey Henrik! Couple of years ago I applied with the suggestion of dynamic pagan reformations as part of the application, absolutely pleased that you've implemented them (though differently to my own ideas) - any chance I can convince the CKII team to also use the reformation system for dynamically generated heresies for religions (which was the other half of my religion suggestions)? :D

Wait has Doomdark been lead this entire time? I had gotten the impression he had moved on to other things at some point. Not that I complain his vision for crusader kings fit fairly well with my own so I am glad o hear it. I remember him comparing it to the sims, and those aspects is something I really like about the game.

Also as for CK2 is very much alive, I think we can be fairly sure they'll never tell us "this is the last DLC for ck2" instead the dlcs will get less frequent up until they announce ck3.

So you expext 4 more years of DLCs ;)

Maybe a horror themed dlc? Vampires, werewolves, zombies, goblins, etc. They’d all team up nicely with a random new world map. In a way it would be like a Warhammer version of CK2 and it could bring in a new audience who is into that stuff.

Joel's cat looks more magnanimous than any of my kings in 1500 hours of gameplay!
That cat looks like it would execute you if it had the chance, you should watch your tongue!

Congratulations on on keeping this game fresh and fun for 7 years! That's no easy thing to do and the DLC's have only gotten better over time!

A nice small feature that would make the game better for veteran players is rebalancing the combat tactics. It's mostly an exercise of changing numbers around to make combat more intuitive. Right now it's either about ignoring the combat tactics part of the game or min-maxing the hell out of it, making some very counter intuitive decisions.

Last edited:
Thank a lot for a great game!
Hope to hear plans on new features soon :)

Maybe a horror themed dlc? Vampires, werewolves, zombies, goblins, etc. They’d all team up nicely with a random new world map. In a way it would be like a Warhammer version of CK2 and it could bring in a new audience who is into that stuff.
I kind of like the idea.
But first we need satanist religions and fancy gore ceremonies. A Sodomy DLC dedicated to the religions corruption could be very fitting, with corrupted doctrines penetrating in the religion. Together with Heretics DLC it would be grand.