• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
New Chancellors Plan:
Send Siegfried Altmann to Lüneburg to improve relations after the war. When he finished his mission send him to Saxony
Send Heinrich Harnischer to Lüneburg to sign the peace deal. When he finished his mission send him to England to improve relations.
-----
As i heard you want to be a diplomat for our glorious city. Please come and meat me in my mansion
Heinrich Harnischer

The Great Hunt - Third Day
VSxFJbJk_b9XbBfkSz17V9LpuP8IY2d_04UKUMyRUAi_A0L4RuHL8RUkHIFiAvLZpFdTcQsPzFcRTZY8YBDZ2iApiwCLLyvIQ941sjlXV-YsPL_CjcU2rU6KmeajKDbHpKKFY0t3

The last day of the Great Hunt had began. The yesterday's snowing was away, and the sun was shining again. It was impressive how quickly weather can change... Everyone was excited of the last day. The hunters ate, took their weapons and went to the forest in the same groups as before.

The camp was almost empty, only couple of servants were there making food for the evening. In the middle of the day they heard one group coming back to the camp. It was the group of Albrecht Holzmann. He had got severely injured. He had a big wound in his torso. He looked like he was going to die any second... The servants tried everything, but soon Albrecht took his last breath...

When the other groups got back in the evening, they were shocked of Alberect's death. It was really unfortunate way to end his Great Hunt. Many other men had also got injured, like the son of the Statthalter, Heinrich von Warendorf, whose group had fought with a big bear. Luckily his wounds were just little ones. He was going to heal really quickly.

After eating, it was time to do announce the best hunter of the day. It was very clear without even counting everyone's game. The best hunter of the day was Heinrich von Warendorf, whose group had hunted the very big bear. His group had also hunted a boar and 6 smaller animals. He was named as the "Master of the Hunt". Of course he also got a lot of prestige and a little reward, one really good hunting dog.

((The Great Hunt is over! I had great fun making these ICs. And you players can still make ICs about the last day. Well done @delpiero1234! And @Rapop101, bad luck. You need to make a new character.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
Johannes Fischer - Forests near Lübeck 1456 - The Great Hunt

Sherwood-Forest-Hunting.jpg

Day 1

Early in the morning, on a cold autumn day, Johannes Fischer and his hunting party made it's way into the lush forrests near Lübeck. The group consisted of men and servants from the Fischer household, Johannes, Daniel and two householdguards were mounted while most others went afoot, leading the dogs to scare up every wildlife they could find. Then Fischer and his men only had to shoot them down. The sky on this first day of the hunt was clear and it promised to become warmer through the morning hours and the group went out with the hope to find some good prey.

It didn't take long and the dogs took up the scent of some animals. The dog handlers let them go from their leashes and they darted forwards to catch whatever they had smelled. While they ran through the small bushes some pheasants got scared and flew up, only to be shot down by the party. Johannes missed both the arrows he let loose, he has been too surprised by the bird suddenly emerging from the bushes.

Later he had the chance to redeem himself. On a clearing they made out a small group of foxes close to their lairs. They all took aim, and loosened at the same time on a signal of Johannes. Four of the beautiful animals fell, pierced by arrows, one of them shot through the neck by Johannes'.

When dawn broke, the group returned to the camp. The dogs had sniffed out some rabbits on the way back and they were added to the collection of small animals the party had hunted this day. Johannes wasn't quite content with the results of his trip, no deer no boars could've been found. But back at camp his group was honoured for hunting the most game of the day. An antler was presented to Johannes as an acknowledgement of this success he was quite happy, something to put over the fireplace to remember this day. A day that ended in drinking and celebrating within the Fischer group.

Day 2

The second day of the hunt was quite the opposite to the first, snow had fallen heavily during the night. Johannes and his party went out early, before the other groups. They heard much snoring while they walked past the tents of the other hunters and Fischer's men started to grumble because they had to get up this early. Johannes however kept stoic, he wanted to be the first in the forests to use the snow to his advantage. Now it was still possible to track some of the bigger animals by their trails, before all the others ran through the wilderness and covered them up or found the game first. As an old german proverb says - "The early bird catches the worm" ((Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm)).

With the men still grumbling they found what they were looking for all morning, a boar trail. Tucking away their bows, the riders were given boar spears. The dog handlers were going up front, the mounted men behind them. When they heard a crackle in the bushes they let the dogs free, which forced out a mighty boar almost instantly. After the dogs had gotten some bites into the boar, one of them dying by a slash of the beasts tusks, the riders took their turn. They rode at the wild animal and stabbed at it with their spears, Daniel von Niendorf this hard that he couldn't pull it out of the boar again. As the animal got weaker and weaker, Johannes dismounted, pulled out his pig sticker to end the beasts life. But he had underestimated it's strength. When he tried to pierce it's heart with the dagger the boar used all of it's strength to fight his certain death. With it's tusks it sliced a big wound in Johannes hand and forearm. This last grip to live was however futile, as the thrust Fischer had started couldn't be halted, the beast died.

wafschwein.jpg

The wound hastily bandaged the hunting party returned back to camp as fast as possible. Even though it wasn't a serious injury, Johannes was keen to use his hand for many years to come and he pressed them to get back quickly. Back at the encampment a barber surgeon inspected the wound and treated it with some of his balms. It shouldn't have long lasting consequences, he reassured Johannes.

The day ended not as happily as the one before, but the big boar over the fire compensated for this.

Day 3

The third day of the hunt was quite unspectacular for Fischer's party. Johannes stayed back at camp because of his wound and so Daniel von Niendorf was appointed leader if the small group. They only caught some small game, some rabbits, ducks and pheasants.

Johannes day however wasn't as uneventful as he had thought. Some time after noon Albrech Holzmanns party returned, with Albrecht himself on a stretcher. The Captain of the city guard wasn't nice to look at, his whole torso was torn up. Johannes dispatched the barber surgeon he had brought with his personal entourage to help the poor fellow, but for the soldier everything was too late. How ironic, Johannes thought, the man stood his ground heroically against the enemies of the Republic, but was slain by some animal from the forests. Again he thought himself lucky, to only have a small wound at his hand.

The celebratory feast at the end of the day felt shallow, as well as the appointment of Heinrich von Warendorf as "Master of the Hunt". This spectacle had taken a good man from Lübeck, no one of Johannes' men was in the right mood for celebrating and Fischer's entourage made it's way home quite early in the evening.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The Great Hunt
- Day 3 -​

Heinrich greatly reduced the amount of beer he consumed on the eve of the second day as he did not want to waste another day like that. After all, he was out there to hunt - not to get drunk. The other hunters in his group were relieved that their lord had seen reason. With excellent weather conditions the group departed early in the morning heading into the forests of Lauenburg. What would they hunt today? Deer? Pheasants? Foxes? Or maybe a boar again? They weren't sure what they would encounter.

After a short walk, Heinrich spotted a fox on the run on the horizon and loosened his hounds. The beasts were able to circle the fox, allowing Heinrich to take a precise shot with his box. The day had started well for him and with a clear head, he was able to show what a good hunter he was. Little did he know that the day had more surprises for him. After having salted fish for lunch and a small rest, the hunters continued their journey through the forests, hoping to find a boar or a large deer.

One of the hunters noticed a large bear wandering through the forest. The group debated for a moment or two whether they should engage the bear or not, after all bears were among the most dangerous animals to hunt due to their massive power. Heinrich knew that if he would take down that bear the title of Master of the Hunt would be his as none of the other hunters had caught a bear on the previous days. All of the men had only been wearing light armor to reduce noise from armor and because it weighed far less. The hunters strategised and then positioned themselves around the bear, pointing their bows at him. After a few arrows had been loosened, the bear was still far from dead!

jJ5jG1w.jpg

Then Heinrich's hounds attacked the bear and so did the Patrician. He drew his sword and stormed at the bear. That turned out not to be the wisest decision and the bear hit his left arm with his paw. The wound bled but Heinrich did not give up. With arrow support, he was able to take the decisive strike take down the bear. It was a combined group effort. The arm hurt and with the bear killed, the men returned to camp so that Heinrich's wound could be treated.

Back at camp, he was shocked that Albrecht Holzmann had also been injured, but much more severely. The physicians tried their best but Albrecht Holzmann passed later the evening. Heinrich's mood was not the best and the Patrician Johannes Fischer had left early. Hunting was a dangerous hobby and after his own wounds had been treated, he was awarded with the title of Master of the Hunt. This was a great honour for him but what mattered more to him was that he took down a bear. Titles were for noblemen and he was out to have fun but he surely didn't mind the title and accepted it anyways.

The next morning, Heinrich returned to Lübeck where he enjoyed his life. The bear's head decorated his house's living room.

Reactions:
((Join IC between myself and @delpiero1234 ))

Trudging through the cobbled streets of Lübeck, Heinrich did his best to avoid the other travelers. Clad as he was in good quality grey wool doublet and a comfortable tunic within which hung a cross prominently, he was doing his best to go through the plans he had for this meeting in his head, preparing for what he presumed would be a battle of wits and words. He did not truly need a ‘job’ as such, as his incomes from Vienna still flowing, but if he’d learnt anything of the city and its inhabitants it was that power came from proximity to the Statthalter and the other Patricians, and even more power could be amassed by working directly for the ‘state’. A quaint concept to a man whom was used to wealth coming from lands and deeds owned, but it was that very quaintness that he hoped would make him appealing to the man he was to meet. In the distance he could see the outline of the building he’d been summoned to…

Xaver von Warendorf was working in his office in the city’s town hall. He had a busy day, as usual, with many appointments and decisions to make. Life after the treaty with Lüneburg had been signed remained hectic and there was always something to do. Heinrich von Raasch entered the building and was brought into a waiting room where he was served refreshments and a cheese plate. After a relatively short wait, a servant brought him to the statthalter’s office.

“Good day Sir von Raasch.” Xaver approached his visitor and shook his hand. “I am glad you found your way to the town hall of Lübeck.”

Heinrich was impressed. The building was far grander than he’d come to expect from what his father would’ve called ‘burgher barn’, and the Statthalters understanding of etiquette was clearly top-notch as proven by the offer of refreshments. Accepting a nibble of cheese and some watered wine, he takes in the views until he is admitted into the office and hands the cup away to a servant.

As he enters the Statthalters office, he begins to bow to the man whom held dominion over the Republic, but halts in surprise when he is offered a hand for the shaking. Such earthy customs these patricians had… but he accepts said hand nonetheless with a firm one of his own.

“Thank you for the warm welcome, your Grace.” Strictly speaking the Statthalter wasn’t a Prince of the Empire, nor a Duke, but his authority no doubt warranted similar levels of respect as the Doges of Venice… or so the Knight figured,”You do the building injustice by assuming one could easily miss it. Truly a monument to the glory of thine republic!”

“Ah you are too kind. Please enter and have a seat. You wrote that you seek out employment here in Lübeck, is that right? What brings an Austrian noble to Lübeck?”

“No, truly the favoured Daughter of the Baltic lives to her name.” Heinrich smiles,”But aye, having met yon son and his companions on the road from Lauenburg, I decreed the city quite well-situated for a man of means and skill to make his mark, and if I think anything of myself it is that I am that sort of man.” Considering for a moment, he adds,”And Pomeranian if you don’t mind, your Grace. Mine father and I may have served within the Emperor’s Court, but trace our line to Rügen.”

“Oh Rügen!” Xaver smiled and certainly liked that his guest was not Austrian at all. “I was about to say that you do not have a very Austrian dialect, Sir von Raasch. I hope you are not here for revenge then, seeing as we recently fought war with Pomerania. The Pomeranian navy is not what it used to be after their heavy defeat against ours.”

“Nothing could be farther from the truth, your Grace.” Heinrich notes, already feeling quite good about the way this conversation was headed,”Indeed it was that victory amongst thine many successes that convinced me that Lübeck as a city is about to go far, and that I should do mine best to contribute to its wealth and power. If I may be so bold, may I ask what your plans are for the remaining nobility of Lüneburg?”

Ever the Knight… a class of alcohol covered murderers, ready to go for the guts, Heinrich had during his trip sensed a distinct sense of unrest in the recent acquisition of the city. The Askanier’s may have been defeated and cast out, but he had gotten a sense that the locals may not have been quite as pleased by the development as the Lübeckans were. By mentioning, or rather insinuating the fact, Heinrich hoped to let the Statthalter know he was well versed enough in local politics to get a sense of them, and that mayhaps a Reichsritter with his own brand of Immediacy might be of some use there...

“The treaty of subjugation has been signed and Duke Otto has been forced into exile. Shortly a governor will resume office in Lüneburg. The people of Lüneburg are now subjects of Lübeck and will be ruled according to our republican system.” Heinrich showed the Pomeranian noble the treaty which his chancellor had written. “Here, take a look at the treaty if you wish.”

A bit surprised at the haste with which Xaver was ready to present him with the document, Heinrich gingerly accepts it and slowly reads through it.

“As you can see, everything I said is documented there. I assume you are not here about the situation in Lüneburg though?”

“It is indeed a fine document.” Heinrich notes, attempting to gauge how best to word it so that he does not offend the man,”But it is written on parchment with ink. From what I’ve seen, Unrest within the province stands quite high, and will need to be alleviated by some means. Now, it obviously stands not mine duty, nor do you need to advice me of this matter, but I believe were the republic to show some consideration for the knights and barons of the province said unrest could be lessened by a fair amount, lowering the risk of revolt and the chagrin of our neighbours that may not feel quite so… tolerant of a Prince being ousted by republican rule. To that end, I would offer mine services. I stand quite adept at removing unrest, and I believe I might help yon sheriffs in the matter.”

“Chancellor Harnischer has chosen in my eyes a capable governor for the province and I want to see his work first before interfering with it. We decided against full annexation to give the locals some time to adjust to their new situation under Lübeckian rule. So I must decline your offer but of course thank you for it.”

Was the man dense, or was German simply not his first language, Heinrich was forced to wonder… had he offered to be a governor he would certainly not have done so in so crass a manner, but clearly what the Patricians here considered diplomacy was making claims and requests of the air they inhabited. Raising his brow in question, but decreeing against voicing his better thoughts, he simply responds as calmly as he can.

“I thank your Grace for his consideration, but I doubt I would be made a governor even were thineself to offer it. It would go against mine bloodline and calling to accept a position not based on hereditary merit. I was merely offering to help train thine sheriffs to better fight against potential rabblerousers, but if thou dost believe that another man better suited for it, then I have no opposition to that.”

“It seems I misunderstood your proposal. If you wish to train sheriffs then head to Lüneburg where you can meet with the new governor. He might agree to your proposal. Of course, there is also possible employment here in Lübeck for a fine nobleman as you are, Sir von Raasch.”

Arcing his brow in question, Heinrich considers the suggestion for a moment before responding,”Indeed, I believe thine first instinct may well have been correct, and it may well be best to leave managing of the provincials to a man best suited for it, an able man you mentioned. As such, I believe I shall remain within confines of the city for now. What wouldst thineself suggest as a means of employ?”

Xaver was relieved that the nobleman would listen to his offers. “Well, there are a few options. What skills do you possess though? I assume you have been well-trained with the sword but what about commerce or diplomacy?”

“Mine father saw fit to have my skills with the sword, mace and lance honed to their mastery, and I served on the the Austrian General Staff as an adjutant to Graf von Krain for a time, but I believe I might acquit myself well enough upon a court as well. Sadly, as proven by mine lowly status as of now, I am not a man of great stewardship.” The last bit is mentioned a bit ruefully. Heinrich himself was no vagabond or wastrel, but the dip in the family fortunes had made it clear to him his line was ill-suited to handling money.

“Thank you for your honesty. My family is currently looking for a capable military leader to oversee the defenses of our trade posts. We operate trade posts in Riga and Hamburg, next to Lübeck, for the moment and these trade posts need to be secured properly in case of an attack. Would this interest you?”

Considering the offer, Heinrich noted the benefits. Not only did travel appeal to the young man in him, but it also had the added benefit of helping him foster connections around the Warendorf ‘empire’, which could very well lend itself to future… considerations. It also offered a decent chance of not only improving his own skills, but possibly make a name for himself.

All in all… an excellent offer.

“Only a fool or a madman would pass upon such an offer.” Heinrich laughs,”If thou were to offer such, I would extend mine hand and cease it with both.”

“Excellent. This is an important position and I feel it would be best to settle it with a marriage. You probably hadn’t expected such a proposal but a blood bond is the best way to build a foundation between our two houses.” Xaver wasn’t sure how Raasch would react. After all, this marriage proposal must surprise him, at least a bit. “My daughter Marie von Warendorf and her husband have a lovely daughter, my granddaughter, which I offer to you as wife.”

As it happened, Heinrich was not surprised… not by the offer that is, but by the person it was coming from. It forced him to quickly reconsider his earlier thoughts of the Statthalters denseness, and place him in the ‘well-above average’ category when it came to wits.

As a noble, Heinrich was well versed in the art of marrying for land, wealth and even allegiance, but he had not expected of it from a republican ruler. As he considered it however, he could see the sense from both sides of the ‘aisle’. The position being offered was a powerful one, though lacking in some of the glamour that a state office may have held. Not only did it place the security of Warendorf estates in the hands of a ‘foreigner’, it could’ve resulted in graft or further corruption. By having Heinrich marry into the family, Xaver in one smooth move was assured of his loyalty and made sure that no other Patrician family could ‘buy’ the man by offering a bond of blood above that of coin.

Canny.

It also worked out well for Heinrich, since these republics often had harsh entry requirements for citizenship, and a student of law, Heinrich recalled an odd tidbit that a noble wishing entry on his own merits would’ve had to forswear other titles. This allowed him to maintain his knighthood, and conveniently meant that he’d be able to have access to the republics courts and other benefits. He’d have been a fool not to accept, and Heinrich believed himself anything, but a fool.

“I most heartily accept, though believe we might wish to avoid the… connotations of a political match in so hasty a manner. I will marry thine grand-daughter, but it might look better for your own people were I to court her first.” Besides, courting was half the fun the way Heinrich saw it. Not only did it mean the couple could get to know each other, it avoided possible problems in the future when a woman overcome by her monthlies decided you didn’t love her and tried to brain you with a club. Having courted her you could make a valid defense that you had chosen to love her rather than marrying her for position.

“Excellent. Seeing as Anne-Marie turned 12 just recently, I suggest a betrothal first. I am sure she will love you when the time comes and be a good wife to you.” Xaver was happy. He found a capable man for his trade posts and secured his loyalty by marrying his granddaughter Anne-Marie to him. “It is settled then.”

“Aye, and happily so. I believe this calls for a toast!”

Xaver filled their both cups with wine and toasted with his new ally. “To a long friendship!”

“To friendship!” Heinrich drains the cup.

Xaver was very happy about the new alliance he had secured and he informed his brother Albrecht right away about it. With a new military leader for the trade posts, he approved to spend more family funds on the defense of their trade posts. More troops, more watch towers, a better wall. There were many ways to improve the defenses. The details on how to allocate the funds were left to Sir von Raasch.

((von Warendorf spend 4EP to upgrade defenses in Riga, von Warendorf spend 4EP to upgrade defenses in Hamburg.))

Great Hunt - Markus Haas
The first day of the Great Hunt was a really beautiful day. Markus' group hunted big amount of game, and he was proud of his hunters. The same evening they partied a lot with the other hunters. It was one really entertaining day. Markus had also never been a group leader in a hunting trip, so it was also really exciting day for him.

The second day was not as easy and relaxing one. It had snowed a lot overnight, and so it was way harder to hunt. Luckily, by the end of the day Markus' group had managed to hunt couple of small animals and a one deer. Markus was so tired after the hunt that he went to sleep early. And so did most of the other hunters.

1RVKiT2F3_vDwtzWXCT8eKuOfJH2TkWtCr3qgOC3GX4R_dIFlafHgD6F8gbuB014KW3peM3Ny9ot9Ce2L8zJ8RSgcRRGYGqnn7SoKnRL9uODyH_2fcr0zEXHyTCNWGSMczV8WVt4

The last day was as clear and pretty as the first day. It had not snowed more overnight, which was a big relief. Unfortunately Markus' group didn't found many animals that day. Only couple of rabbits, and some foxes. When Markus got back to the camp late at evening, he received shocking news. Albrecht Holzmann had died earlier that day, because of the wound he had got while fighting some big animal. Markus didn't know what animal though, but did it even matter at that situation? Markus said couple of little prayers next to the late Holzmann...

Nobody was in the mood for celebrating, and so most of the hunters went home or to sleep really early. Markus stayed for the last night in the camp, and then in the next morning, quickly packed his stuff and went home. He had a lot of stories to tell to Amanda...

Haas Mansion - December 1456 - Friedrich Haas
"Good evening Andres Emmerich," Friedrich said when he saw his overseer of the Holland's trade post walking into his office. "Good evening Herr Haas," they shook hands and he continued "You sure know the situation in the Low Countries?" Friedrich nodded as a reply. Andres sat down and continued "Their new trading laws withers our trading in the region. But we can get around this. Native citizen of the Kingdom of Castille doesn't have to follow this law. So, if we employ Spaniards to run our trading post, we could get trade to flow in that region again."

Friedrich smiled. Emmerich was a smart fellow. "Andres, you have been a big help in the past. And now you bring me this genius plan? Go back to Low countries, pay the Spaniards what ever they want and get them to work in our trading post. Also, here is a little reward for your good work." Friedrich gave Andres a little pouch of money. ((Friedrich gave Alfred 1EP))

"Thank you Herr Haas. I gladly help you and your family. Now, if you didn't have anything to more to say, I will go" he said. Friedrich responed "I have nothing else to say than good luck to your travels" and laughed. Andres smirked back, and left the office...

((The trade post of Holland will generate money, no matter of the Spanish laws. Friedrich will have to give 1EP of the trade post's income to the Spaniards.))

Reactions:
Heinrich called for a servant, Alexander, and his carriage. His knees were hurting and the way to the townhall was a long way. After a while he arrived at the townhall door. Alexander, his bastard, knocked instead of Heinrich. A guard opened the wooden door.
When he recognized Heinrichs face he brought the two to the
Stadthallteroffice
Heinrich looked at Xaver

“Herr von Warendorf, could i come in and give you better information why i think Saxony and England would accept an alliance?”

Xaver turned towards the door. “Come in. I don't have much time though. So the fast version must do for now.” Xaver had a lot of work to do and his time was not endless.

Heinrich started immediately “Now. I asked many countries if they could imagine to become our allies. Many countries laughed about our small army, some weren’t friendly enough. Except Saxony and England. One of the main reasons for the English to don’t except our offer was that the relations between our two countries are not friendly enough and that our small navy was not…”Heinrich had problems to explain:” not strong enough. They say if we would build up our Navy as much as we could they would think about it but so… and for the Saxons… the diplomats are not friendly enough. If we would have better relations… oh and maybe some money at the right places could help the diplomats of both sides to think about our offer.”

Xaver was upset : “Well, for a small republic as ours, our army and navy are fairly large. Moreover, General Cadorna has already commissioned additional ships.”

“You’re right but take a look on the english fleet: 8 squadrons stronger, with more Warships we’ll ever have. And the Army… You know. Still not the biggest one.”

“Our navy has taken a hit due to the naval battle with Pomerania. Rebuilding the fleet takes time. You need to make that clear to the other countries.”

“Yeah i told the english this fact but they laughed… But it’s not the time for discussing our naval situation. I just wanted to inform you. I think,” Heinrich looked at a mountain of papers:” and should leave you and your work alone.”

“I think that is an excellent idea. I have high hopes that you secure an alliance with a strong country though. I know it won’t be an easy task but that is exactly why I made you chancellor. Take care, Heinrich.”

“You too. Bye.”
Heinrich leaved

Chapter 6 - The Reaper's Due
1456-1460

The debate of the Stadtrat had been intense and controvert, with some of the aldermen being more concerned with the presence of Hendrik van Buren than the negotiations with Lüneburg or the three ministers’ plans. The assembly also voted with a large majority to expel all Muslims for the republic on a permanente basis. Precautions for this measure were taken a couple of days after the meeting of the Stadtrat. It would take some weeks to fully enforce this new law which CoF Giovanni Cadorna had suggested.
The race for the three ministers’ plans was much tighter with the chancellor’s plan winning. More funds were to be provided to improve Lübeck’s trade network. Furthermore, shrewd commerce practices were introduced as part of Harnischer’s plan. These gave the Lübeckian merchants the upper hand in negotiations with its competitors. It wasn’t the plan for which Xaver had voted but nobody had to knew that as he could live with it easily.
On 10 November 1457, the treaty of subjugation between Lübeck and Lüneburg was signed. It had been written by Chancellor Harnischer on the statthalter’s orders. With peace restored, the Old Salt Route between Lübeck and Lüneburg was finally reopened because the Hanseatic League removed its embargo as a consequence of Lüneburg returning to the Hansa’s fold.

Jb39JTg.png

About a month after the treaty was signed, Jonas von Altweil was appointed as governor to rule over Lüneburg, replacing Duke Otto von Welf as head of state. Emperor Ludwig II did not disapprove of the peace treaty, unlike last time where Lauenburg was annexed. From now on, Lübeck had only two rivals: East Frisia and the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Chancellor Harnischer left the Baltic and headed for London to improve the already high relations with England further. A second delegation led by Siegfried Altmann was sent to Lüneburg to improve relations with Lübeck’s new subjects. Part of this delegation was Hans Jäger, one of the diplomatic corps latest recruits.
Later in December, all Muslims were expelled from the republic, reducing Lübeck’s tolerance of heathens and trade income. This decision was not the will of the statthalter but the will of the Stadtrat, in particular his commander of the forces must have been happy about that.

ve5Db7d.png

The navy of Lübeck had seen better days. After the tight battle against Pomerania in the latest war, a number of ships had been lost. It was no surprise that he commissioned three new galleys. He also sent an envoy to England to seek out naval expertise from them. Maybe the English could train a Lübeckian as admiral in one of their academies? With Heinrich Harnischer also in London, the administration was fairly confident of a positive reply.
Master of Coin Torsten von Warendorf greatly reduced land and fort maintenance now that the republic was no longer at war. The economy was doing splendidly under his leadership. Maybe his competitors for the position didn’t agree with him but the facts were on his side.
The walls around the Teutonic village were finally reinforced and construction for the Gothic-style cathedral could begin. A new place of worship must surly please the Pope and the Lord? Pope Eugenius IV was very busy though and did not comment on the construction of the new cathedral because of the on-going war with Provence - the Papal State was losing.

6Eawvgg.png

The Austrian Archduke sent words to all the courts in Europe that his wife beard a child! With the birth of Johann Leopold York, the succession was safe. In Lübeck, Xaver did not care too much about that but ordered the diplomatic corps to congratulate Archduke Philip on behalf of the republic.
News arrived also from London: The Yorks were willing to train a Lübeckian at their naval academy in London should the republic pay them 75 ducats. Xaver von Warendorf debated with his nephew and Master of Coin Torsten von Warendorf and Giovanni Cadorna whether this investment was worth it or not and in the end they agreed to pay it, hoping the England would now fulfil its end of the bargain.
In June 1457, Chancellor Harnischer returned from his mission but stayed only shortly as he departed for Saxony right away. He wanted to see relations with the prince-elector improved. Markus Fischer was representing the Hanseatic League there on matters of trade and with the chancellor now also present in the Duchy this would hopefully lead to better relations and maybe even an alliance.

Nk7087D.png

A herald from Granada said that the Muslim emirate in Iberia had accepted an alliance offer from the Ottoman Empire, which had recovered well from its war with Cyprus. The Ottomans only had one alliance with France prior to allying Granada. The emirate on the other hand could very much use a strong friend given that they were living in constant threat by a Castilian invasion.
England kept their promise and Otto von der Weser left in August 1457 with a vessel for the British Isles. His naval education would take at least one year, maybe even longer depending on his progress.
The Bohemian Crown completed the annexation of its vassal Silesia in October 1457. Silesia was now an integral part of King-Elector Jiri z Podebrad’s realm. The annexation completed while the Bohemians were supporting Ludwig II in the empire’s defensive war against Venice. While the campaign looked promising for the Italian merchant republic at the beginning, La Serenissima, as Venice liked to be called, was now losing the war. Poor military leadership seemed to be the main reason for this disaster. Savoy was already occupied by the defenders and Duke Ludovico was expected to make peace with Milan in the very near future.

cF0gMjo.png

Life in the Low Countries changed when the Trastamara’s of Castile implemented a strict centralization policy in the Low Countries which greatly reduced the autonomy which the locals had enjoyed under the Burgundians. This caused unrest among the inhabitants. Castile’s powerful army was enough though to prevent uprisings - at least for now.
Starting in early 1458, the situation in Iberia itself got heated due to a couple of events. First Aragon announced Portugal as its new rival, for reasons unknown to the Hansa. It was assumed that the Portuguese alliance with Castile was somehow connected to this decision. Then the Portuguese declared war on Morocco with the intention to conquer Tangiers. It was no surprise that Portugal made use of the Portuguese-Castilian alliance and called the Trastamaras to war.

J7NCe9j.png

The Byzantine Empire received a new emperor with the 53-years old Konstantinos XI of House Palaiglogos. The new emperor had no legitimate heir for the time being and in case of his death a Byzantine noble would succeed to the throne, given that Byzantium had neither allies nor royal marriages. The Byzantines had been, however, heavily been improving relations with Aragon, hoping to secure a friend in their struggle against the Ottoman Empire. After all, the Byzantine Empire was a mere shadow of former glory.
A lousy spy network from East Frisia had been discovered in Lübeck. The miserable attempt of the Frisians was condemned immediately. The spies faced trial and were eventually hanged. This happened at about the same time as a wave of obscurantism swept through the republic. Obscurantism was observed also in neighboring countries.

NWlPLI6.png

Lübeck’s diplomatic mission in Saxony was going well. Siegfried Altmann and Hans Jäger were welcomed guests at the prince-elector’s court and the trade connections which Markus Fischer had established between Saxony and the Hanseatic League were appreciated by the duke.
Admiral Otto von der Weser arrived safe and sound in Lübeck after his training in London was complete. It took him longer than initially anticipated but what mattered in the end was that the Lübeckian fleet now had a capable leader. Approximately one week after von der Weser was welcomed in Lübeck, he set sail on board of the merchant fleet which consisted of ten squadrons.

ZjMhClp.png

His Holiness Eugenius IV died in February 1459 during the war with Provence. The cardinals convened immediately and elected the Venetian Marco Taurasi as new Pope who adopted the name Innocentius VIII. The new Holy Father was not messing around and called for a crusade against the Mamluks shortly after taking office. He wanted to make the defeat of Varna forgotten by fighting a successful crusade. The problem was that most Christian monarchs were hesitant to go on a crusade again. The age of crusaders was long passed. Lübeck certainly wasn’t interested in sending men to retake Jerusalem but some of the Teutonic citizens left anyways, hoping to make some money as mercenaries. The Pope's intention to liberate the Holy City from the Muslims was good but there was a general tiredness among the European monarchs when it comes to crusades and so the important lords of France, Castile, Austria, etc. all declined the Papal request - for now.

rkZeanm.png

Statthalter Xaver von Warendorf’s advisory staff was expanded with a very capable and famous statesman: Burkhard Gossler. Gossler had good ties at the courts of Europe and helped convincing the prince-elector of Saxony and the Yorks of England to agree to a potential alliance. Now it was up to chancellor Harnischer to decide whether the sign or not to sign the treaties.

Dear von Warendorf,
i have great news! The work our diplomats in Saxony and England did was successful. Both are willing now to ally us. I think we should take the chance and ally England.
Heinrich Harnischer

Heinrich walked through the corridors of Windsor Castle. He ignored his hurting knees, the news he heard were great: England was willing to accept a alliance! And Saxony also! Both potential allies were in the mood to take side with the small Lübeck. He finally reached the door of the chancellors office. Of course the office of the english chancellor.
Heinrich:" Good day Mr. Woolsley. I hope you have the time to talk with me about our alliance offer?"

Woolsley:" Of course. Take a seat and we'll discuss everything..."

------

(Two hours later)
Heinrich:"... and England and Lübeck will stay together till their end."
Woolsley:" Perfect. Let drink some wine!"
------

A message arrives at the Stadtrat.

Great aldermen,
we all know that we're surrounded by enemies. And most of the enemies are strong: Denmark and Brandenburg could easily defeat us. With this in mind i decided to improve relations with England and Saxony. The alliance with England is already set:
-England and Lübeck will sign a act of friendship and stay together as allies.
-An english ambassador will be installed in Lübeck.
-The two nations are from now on allies

The alliance with Saxony must wait

------

Heinrich sat in his office. He was happy, he reached his life destination: England and Lübeck allied.
Siegfried Altmann stepped in.
Heinrich:" Ahh good to see you."

Siegfried:" Good day Herr Harnischer."

Heinrich:" Siegfried you did a great job in Saxony and i ask you: Could you do me a favour?"

Siegfried:" Yes."

Heinrich:" You must return to Saxony and improve relations with the Prince elector. When you see they want to ally us give them this treaty to sign. "

Siegfried:" I'll do, Herr Harnischer. Can I leave?"

Heinrich:" Yes," Siegfried leaves. Heinrich calls for a servant, Moritz Martins, his best diplomat avaibal and a carriage. The way to Bremen is long. Then he began to talk to Moritz. :I'll go to Bremen and improve relations. If we kick them out from our alliance system they'll get angry and i don't want them to leave the trade league. For the time being you are the chancellor Moritz Martins. Make it public that our new rival is Verden. We need a way to the North Sea."

Moritz:" May god secure you!"

------

(Prince electorsPalace in Dresden)
Siegfried Altmann hated this city. Why he had been sent to Saxony and not one of the other merchants. He hoped he could get promoted when the good news would arrive in Lübeck. An alliance with Saxony! A shield against the Brandenburgian threat.
------

Dear aldermen,
The alliance with Saxony has been set on the following terms:
-Lübeck and Saxony will be allies
-Saxony will send a ambassador to Lübeck, Lübeck will send one to Saxony.
-Saxony will grant Lübeckian Merchants a exclusive right of trading in the cities of Leipzig and Dresden

Chancellor Harnischer signed a treaty of alliance with England in April 1459. Furthermore, he announced Verden as new rival of the republic. The archbishopric was not part of the League unlike the other towns in the region. With England on Lübeck's side, Warendorf secured a great coup. The diplomatic corps now worked also towards making an alliance with Saxony. However, after England was secured as an ally, the Saxons suddenly showed little interest in becoming a new ally of Lübeck and so the treaty which the chancellor had prepared was never signed.
Elsewhere in Europe, new alliances were formed, too. The Byzantine delegation in Aragon was able to convince the Aragonese to sign an alliance. At least now there was some hope for Byzantium but still the Ottomans remained a threat to their existence.

n6TJt63.png

In September 1459, Master of Coin von Warendorf adopted an even greater policy of free trade in Lübeck than had already been practised. The League's economic strength grew and more merchants were coming to sell their goods in Lübeck. In particular the trade with the Baltic flourished. Riga and Danzig were important hubs.
The Low Countries, of course, were also important and rich but Lübeck's influence there was minimal. The Castilians commissioned more ships for their North Sea fleet in December of the same year.
Word from the streets of Constantinople was that their 55-years old monarch still lacked an heir. Would Aragon seize their throne in the event of his death? Xaver von Warendorf also wasn't the youngest anymore. Having turned 60 in December 1459.

fFpxadi.png

A large civil war broke out in Castile with rebellions in both Iberia and the Low Countries. In Lübeck they hadn't anticipated such an uprising. Would it negatively affect trade?
One of the statthalter's advisors disagreed with him on the financing of the new church in the Teuton village. At first, Xaver didn't want to listen to him but he made a fine point and eventually admitted his mistake. There was no shame in that. The two settled the matter in private.

imBNEQB.png

The diplomatic mission of Siegfried Altmann and Hans Jäger in Saxony ended. Relations had greatly been improved but an alliance was not in the air. Both traveled to Lüneburg to improve relations with the locals.
In July 1450, war broke out between Poland and the Holy Roman Empire when the Polish invaded Bohemia. Ludwig II honored the call to arms. He was still involved in the war against the Venetians. Being emperor was a tough job. Meanwhile the Provençal-Papal-War over Avignon came to an end. The Pope got to keep Avignon but had to pay war reparations.

TkHqgru.png

In early August 1450, the sick Byzantine emperor passed away. With nobody there to claim his throne, Aragon seized the opportunity and formed a personal union with the Byzantines. Nobody dared to intervene, not even rivals like Serbia. Joan II was now King of Aragon, King of Naples & Trinacria and Emperor of the Byzantine Empire. An impressive collection of primary titles.
In Lübeck they were not too concerned about this development, hoping that Aragon could now oppose the Castilians better. Two European super powers both had their capital in Iberia.

BNhXoJB.png

The last of Giovanni Cadorna's three new galley squadrons set sail in the summer of 1450. The Lübeckian fleet had at last recorded from the battle with Pomerania. Otto von der Weser was happy about the fleet's size.
On 18 September 1460, Heinrich von Warendorf came to visit his father in the morning. To his surprise, he had not woken up yet and the servants assumed he was sleeping. Sleeping he was but waking up he wouldn't again. Xaver von Warendorf passed away at the age of 60. His state funeral was scheduled for the 25. of September. The election for a new statthalter would take place in early October.

NfGpqiS.png

vEsirN8.png

svIsKF0.png

((Open Positions:
1x Missionary
1x Merchant
Judge (up to 3)
Ambassador))

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Citizens of Lübeck, our beloved Statthalter has passed away yesterday evening in his mansion here in Lübeck. His son Heinrich found him breathless. This is why we shall have week of mourning to honor him and the deeds he has done. A state funeral has been scheduled for the 25th of September here in Lübeck to which all aldermen are invited.

~ Torsten von Warendorf, Master of Coin

Last edited:
Reactions:
Name: Torsten von Warendorf
Date of Birth: 01. July 1420
Religion: Catholic

F7EBp8A.jpg

Biography:
Torsten von Warendorf is the last living son of the Patrician Albrecht von Warendorf and his first wife Sophie von Thun. He grew up in the city of Lübeck and studied the art of commerce from an early age thanks to Albrecht managing the family's business. His uncle Xaver was the republic's statthalter for two terms before he died at the age of 60. Now it is up to Torsten, who has been serving as Master of Coin ever since Hendrik van Buren went bankrupt, to keep the von Warendorf family in power.
Torsten is married to Sophie Sandmann, the daughter of a Magdeburger merchant. Together they have two boys and two daughters. As a devout Catholic, Torsten attends the Holy Mass regularly but like his late uncle Xaver is tolerant towards the Jewish community.

Reactions:
4148396668_7fda3abeb8.jpg

Name: Franz Johan von Rennenkampf
Date of Birth:January 24, 1440
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Franz was born in Lubeck, a descendant to a German of the Baltic. He lived happily in the home of his uncle, and was given a good education. His uncle had a personal painter at his mansion, a young Florentine known as Gregorios Vespucci. While he was young, he developed a 'friendship' with the man that he has enjoyed ever since. When his uncle died when he was twelve, Gregorios allowed him to live with him. He is now attempting to climb the business of trade, with help with a loan from his paramour.

Reactions:
1456 - ((before the update))
Statthalter von Warendorf,

I thank you for your offer for Christian Fischer to become Missionary in the Teutonic village, I am happy to reply that he is more then up for the job and ready to serve the Lord our God and the Republic.

Yours truly,
Daniel von Niendorf, on behalf of Johannes Fischer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Johannes Fischer - Lübeck 1460 - Fischer Mansion

Late in the evening, in his office Johannes Fischer was sitting behind the desk. News had spread throughout the city - Statthalter Xaver von Warendorf has died. It should've happened peacefully in his sleep, at least that was what the letter said. Johannes sighed, took his cup of wine and stood up, wandering over to the great window. He looked over the dark and empty marketplace, took a sip of the deep red and sighed again. An interesting man had lost his life, an enemy in the election but still a capable leader for Lübeck. And now the election madness started again, Johannes took another sip, he needed to start preparing for it, refresh old contacts, make new ones. He thought about the last time, he had gotten quite close to beating Xaver but only because Friedrich Haas had supported him. Would this be possible again? He had to write the patrician, but he had to moderate himself with more letters until after the funeral of the old von Warendorf. If word came to the public that Johannes Fischer conspired to become Statthalter while the body of the old one wasn't cold yet, it would ruin his reputation.

Johannes took another sip, turned around and set down at his table again. He pulled out quiver and paper and started to write.

@delpiero1234
Dear Mr. von Warendorf,

I write you to offer my deepest condolences for the death of your father. Xaver von Warendorf has lived an exceptional life, and even if we have been enemies during the last election cycle, do I still respect his accomplishments and the deeds he has done for our Republic. I'll light a candle for your fathers salvation and pray for you and your family that God may comfort you. May he rest in piece and may his undying soul find his way to heaven.

In deep sorrow,
Johannes Fischer.

@Janha
Dear friend,

I write you in wary times. As you've surely heard has Xaver von Warendorf died and thus the Statthalter position is vacant again. Even if it hurts me to come to you this early, we have to meet and make our plans about the upcomming election. If we want to stop Thomas von Warendorf from following his father in this office we need to act as soon as the funeral is done.

Yours truly,
Johannes Fischer.

Johannes laid his quill down and reached for his cup to take another sip of wine, only to realise that it was empty. He put it back on the table sighed and leaned back in his chair. What would come now that the old von Warendorf was dead? Would the Rat just reelect the young one? And what was Torsten like? The same statesman as his father, not interested in trade? Johannes head started to hurt with all these thoughts and he stood up, filled his cup again - this time with water - and went out of his office and over into his sleeping chambers. He longed for the embrace of his wife and it was late, as always when he stopped working...

knights.jpg

Of Blades and Blood Oaths
-1460-

The Free City of Hamburg was if anything the twin of Lübeck herself. Where Lübeck ruled the Baltic as her favourite daughter, Hamburg likewise held control of North Sea access in the palm of her stone cobbled ports. Her spiraling towers and famed Walls had for centuries halted the advance of Northmen, Burgundians... and even other Germans.

Heinrich von Raasch was not in Hamburg to see the sights however, and had indeed spent the past three years in near constant travel between Lübeck, Hamburg and Riga. Much had changed in those years... not only had he been married to Anne-Marie von Warendorf roughly a year ago after a proper courting, she now was at Lübeck carrying their first child. Though the age difference between the two was something to consider, Heinrich had truly become fond of his young wife, and did his best to coddle and spoil her whenever he could.

So caught up he was in his musings, that Heinrich almost got the flat of a blade to his vulnerable side for his troubles. Realizing his mistake, the Knight shifts his posture somewhat, causing what might otherwise have been a brutal strike into a hollowly clanking one to his plate armoured rib cage.Trapping his opponents blade with his left arm, he then took a single rapid step forward and brought the pommel of his own blade to the helmeted face of his opponent, stunning him, allowing for the more experienced man to trip him and place the tip of his longsword near his throat.

"Yield! Yield!" Martin Furst shouted hoarsely,"By God Heinrich, I really thought I had you this time."

Offering a hand to help the heavily armoured man up, Heinrich nods,"You very nearly did. Just remember what I taught you: never play fair."

"Aye, aye." The younger man rolled his eyes as he opened the bassinet of his helmet,"And that we're better than our foe. I'll remember."

"See that you do." Heinrich noted, turning to look at the rest of the Warendorf men, now sweaty, dirty and covered with dust of a warm afternoons exertions. He'd been drilling them hard, but not one complained. Some had during his first trip to Hamburg, but using the authority given to him by his grand-father-in-law, he'd simply disciplined and then fired some, making a clear statement that the once lax duties of a guard now involved being more than just a thug for hire: it meant your life belonged to the Warendorfs, and by extension you would be molded into as good a weapon as a Reichsritter could.

The clubs, short swords and leather jerkins had been replaced by longswords, halberds, crossbows and maille. The added costs had been something, but Xaver had been... generous with the wealth he'd heaped on Heinrich in order to improve the troops, and even to his own surprise he hadn't used an inch of graft, instead seeing that the money went to where it was needed: improving equipment, training and the soldiers pay a little.

The guards had indeed become soldiers, and Heinrich believed that if Xaver's worst fears of a civil war in Lübeck came true these men could well tilt the balance to his houses favour.

"Alright, who's next..." Heinrich started, but halted as a page came running from the direction of the City, shouting,"Herr Raasch! Herr Raasch!"

"What is it boy." Heinrich demanded, noting that it was Gunther, a local Hamburger. The youth was an orphan from a local church, but had his heart set on being a soldier and for some damned reason had decreed that the Warendorf guards would be his way into said bloody life. After months of unrelenting begging, pleading and ineffective bribery, Heinrich had finally agreed to take the lad on as his page and surprisingly hadn't come to regret it. Not only did the boy have a keen mind, he was dutiful and seemed to take pride even in his small salary.

"A .. a... letter." The boy swallowed, clearly having run all the way from the city proper to the fortified trade post. As he accepted the letter, noting the Warendorf seal and breaking it,Heinrich read the message, doing his best to not show his surprise.

Later on in the evening, he too picked up the quill and ink and started putting his words to parchment.

Herr Torsten,
Having heard of yon brothers death I offer mine deepest condolences and request orders. As the mantle of leadership for the House of Warendorf now falls upon you, I wish to know do you prefer myself to remain on my duties at the North and Baltic seas, or am I to return to Lübeck to lend mine support on the political arenas?

Yon kin by marriage,
Heinrich von Raasch

Twan sat in his chair, thinking about the situation in Castille. It was no surprise that it happened. They had this unqualified man on the throne, infertile, weak, indecisive and depending on his advisors to not have the country collapse on it's many and diverse people. Castille could only be strong with a great leader on its throne. This Enrique was far from it. Now a power struggle between the Portuguese and the Aragonese had broken out. It would not be long before Germans in the Low Countries rebelled. And it would be no surprise. He thought more about the situation when he heard a knock on his door. A messenger, with a letter. He thanked the messenger and read the letter in his house.

After having read the letter, he quickly starting writing one to send back.

Herr von Warendorf,

I want to offer you my deepest condolences with the death of your father. He certainly was a great Statthalter and friend of my father. He is in heaven now, I am sure of it.

- Twan van Buren

***​
As soon as Hendrik heard the news he wrote a letter to Torsten and prepared his departure to Lübeck, hoping to attend the funeral of his good friend Xaver.

My deepest condolences with the death of Xaver, your father and my friend. I wish you best of luck in the new elections that will have to be done, and may Xaver be in heaven now.

- Hendrik van Buren

Last edited:
Some days after the late statthalter's death, Torsten and his father Albrecht had received a great number of letters of condolences from Lübeckians, merchants of the Hanseatic League and from the Yorks of England. In Mecklenburg-Schwerin, a truly god-forsaken duchy, the elite of the country was assumed to be celebrating the statthalter's death.
Xaver was not liked and loved by all and Torsten was aware that by venturing into politics to compete for the highest office in the republic he would have to make some enemies - sooner or later. His thoughts for now though were on his uncle's funeral. He was hoping that the other houses would respect the week of mourning, which had been put in place out of respect for the late statthalter.

Torsten and Albrecht divided the work of replying to the letters fairly evenly. Some of the letters, like that of Heinrich von Raasch contained small mistakes but those did not matter. What mattered was that they all thought of Xaver.

Dear Sir von Raasch,
I thank you for your letter and for your condolences. I, too, pray that my uncle Xaver is now with the Lord and I am convinced he is. His soul was pure. So much of his life has he dedicated to this republic that I cannot believe so otherwise.
As a member of our family, you are very much invited to attend the funeral and I suggest you depart right after receiving this letter so that you make it in time.

Yours,
~ Torsten von Warendorf

Esteemed Mr. Fischer,
on behalf of the von Warendorf family I want to thank you for your condolences and kind words. We all hope to see you at the funeral.

~ Albrecht von Warendorf

Dear Twan van Buren,
thank you so much for your letter. It is much appreciated by me, my father and the entire family. van Burens and von Warendorfs have enjoyed a mutal friendship for over a decade. It goes without question that you are invited to the funeral.

~ Torsten von Warendorf

Dear Mr. van Buren,
I write you on behalf of my son. My brother Xaver and you have been close friends and I know it would make him very happy if you would travel to Lübeck to say your farewell. Xaver is now with the Lord.

~ Albrecht von Warendorf

Haas Mansion - September 1460

Friedrich had received a letter from the nephew of Xaver. He informed all aldermen of the Lübeck that... Xaver has died.

Friedrich took a sip of his water. He couldn't understand how Xaver was dead. He was old, but he didn't look ill. And now. Now he has died.
Friedrich put his hands together and prayed for the best of von Warendorf family. Then he took a quill and wrote Torsten a letter.

Good Torsten von Warendorf

I write to you because I want to offer my deepest condolances for the death of your uncle. He is surely with God now...
My family will mourn for his death.

Friedrich Haas

After sitting in quiet for couple of minutes, he finally continued his work. He took the next letter he had received. It was from Johannes Fischer. Was he once again trying to get Haas' vote for himself? There was only one way to know, read the letter.

And Friedrich guessed right. Johannes wanted to meet and discuss about the next elections. He did not waste time it seems. There was only one problem, Friedrich was not interested in the politics anymore. Why couldn't he just retire and focus on religion? Actually, he could...

He stood up from his chair, and walked out of his office. He asked one of his servant where Markus, his son, was.
"Herr Markus is in his office, Herr Haas" said the servant, and so Friedrich went there. He knocked on the door, and walked in.

"Good afternoon Father." Markus said when he saw his father. "You look like you have something to discuss about" he continued. Friedrich quietly nodded, and sat down. After thinking for couple of second, he replied to Markus "I have been thinking about... retiring." Markus was really surprised. His father was 47-year-old already, but he still didn't expect something like this. Friedrich continued "I have no interest in the political game of Lübeck. I would love to just leave the politics and get closer to God. Going to church more often, praying more et cetera." He took a little break and continued "Of course I would be here to help you, but being the head of the trading Empire, and the Great House, is just a lot of work. So, Markus... would you be interested in taking my position?"

Markus didn't respond. This came so quickly, he had to really think about it. After long silence, he didn't answer, but asked a question "Father, are you sure? Would I even be a good Head for this family?" Friedrich laughed a little "Of course you would be a good Head! You are already doing most of the work anyways. I know you are really interested in the work, so why wouldn't you take it now? Besides, at the moment there is nobody else in our family who could take so demanding job."

After a long silence Markus answered "Okay, I will become the Head of our family. " Friedrich smiled "That is amazing."

Good Aldermen of Lübeck

Today, 20th day of September 1460, I, Friedrich Haas, retire from the position of the Head of Haas family, and give it to my oldest son, Markus Haas. He is a really smart and young man, and I am sure he will be a great leader of my Family.

Former Head of Haas Family
Friedrich Haas

Good Johannes Fischer

My Father, Friedrich Haas, just retired from his position as the Head of our Family. But if you still want to discuss about the next election, I can gladly meet you at my mansion, or at yours.

Best Regards
Markus Haas

3xtvSlhA6wVlfgrMvZWzbw_1rf10__LfmGsZ762RFDBwI6dnl31uJhP7mwFoGKfAfJoBXooXGwxtZB_zu0hum7Tm3fys0xaW-kDBEaguONE_HsIABtmX0qMaweRHR5AxPlN2PLYV

Name: Markus Haas

Date of Birth: 19th June 1436

Biography: Markus Haas is the oldest son of Friedrich Haas. As his father retired, Markus become the head of Haas Family, at a young age of 24. Markus is a devout Catholic, just like his father. He is married to a lowborn Amanda Haas, maiden name Schmidt. They are happy couple, as they have known each other almost their whole life. Currently they have no children, but that change an year. Markus has a little brother and sister, 6-year-old Christian and 18-year-old Anna.

Reactions:
When Heinrich heard the news of Xaver's death his heart stood still. The last time he met him, Xaver was full of energy. And in this moment he recognized that hewas already 53, his knees hurting, his eyes not as good as they should be. He was sure a letter of condolence couldn't help Xavers nephew but he would try it
Dear von Warendorf,
my deepest condolences to the death of your uncle. I know him maybe better than many of the aldermen of the city as i worked many years with him together. He will be at the side of our all lord
Heinrich Harnischer